DP F5?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoCalPSD

Reaction score
So I have been hanging on for a while looking for a chip and I found one which happens to be a dp F5 for a good deal and lucky enough its within driving distance and its already programmed for a e99 ca auto truck. My question is who's running dp tunes and are their any complaints w/ the F5 chip?

Fat fingered from the phone-Corey

Big Bore

Reaction score
are their any complaints w/ the F5 chip?

Have you never been on a Powerstroke forum?

Chip is proprietary and can only use DP tunes.

Cable connecting switch to chip doesn't have a locking mechanism which can fall out causing truck to die and a side of the road search for the issue.

Switching tunes under load will cause truck to stall.

Some tuning maps have been questioned as to whether or not they are safe.

This post may result in me being contacted by DP's attorney.

SoCalPSD

Reaction score
Have you never been on a Powerstroke forum?.

Yes I have been around for a few years and thanks for your reply. I usually read chip threads and a lot of them have alot of info. But I haven't read any that really break down the pros and cons of specific chips. Just biased opinions and pissing matches. I just want to make sure im not gonna waste 100 bucks on this chip. I know its a hell of a deal and my main reason for purchasing is to find out if my trans banging is pcm related or something else. Plus it would be nice to wake the truck up a bit

Last edited:

JDub

Reaction score
We've been a dealer for DP Tuner for quite sometime now. LOTS of happy customers. The F5 hardware works really well and customers like having the digital readout showing current program. Don't hear many complaints with those you've listed Big Bore... If installed correctly, the cable coming disconnecting shouldn't be a real issue. We've had great results with DP Tuning in our companies race vehicles as well.

Big Bore

Reaction score
Yes I have been around for a few years and thanks for your reply. I usually read chip threads and a lot of them have alot of info. But I haven't read any that really break down the pros and cons of specific chips. I just want to make sure im not gonna waste 100 bucks on this chip. I know its a hell of a deal and my main reason for purchasing is to find out if my trans banging is pcm related or something else. Plus it would be nice to wake the truck up a bit

The DP tunes I had slammed so hard on up shifts even just cruising at very light throttle that my wife wouldn't ride in the truck when she was having neck problems. I've talked to others that had the same experience. I asked Jody about it several times and and it was never addressed in reburns, however I was told a JW valve body would solve the problem, even though I already had a custom valve body. Thankfully I didnt spend $250 and a lot of time changing it. Since changing tuners the tranny shifts like a stock tranny under light throttle and gets firmer as throttle input increases. There is no need to increase line pressure above stock when you are simply cruising along. DP tunes are also very jumpy at low throttle and in hilly terrain will surge and buck in cruise control due to oversensitive throttle.

Big Bore

Reaction score
Don't hear many complaints with those you've listed Big Bore... If installed correctly, the cable coming disconnecting shouldn't be a real issue.

When the cable is connected to the bottom of the switch, and it falls out driving down bumpy roads, exactly what correct installation would prevent that from happening? Duct tape?

I have never had my TS switch come disconnected in the same conditions, nor will it shut my truck off when switching tunes under a load.

Just because you haven't heard of it, doesn't mean it isn't an issue. There in fact is no locking provision on the connector. If you use your truck in rough terrain and bumpy dirt roads you are likely to encounter this problem.

average

Reaction score
Opinions are like @ss holes I guess.

I've had no problems with my F5, all my tunes worked as they should since I ordered the chip. I got live tuned after the new injectors and the truck runs excellent, actually probably the next quickest vehicle I've ever had after my old mustang but even smoother. The chip stays where I installed it, properly, I added a strip of tape for extra security. I have never had problems switching on the fly, whether it's from stock to high idle, tow to econ or econ to race - doesn't matter it works great everytime.

My truck doesn't just stay on the roadway either - in fact my problem now is that my LED lights keep popping out of the back of my pillar pod gauges when going off road.

average

Reaction score
Are you suggesting my statements of factual experience are opinion?

Apparently you aren't familiar with the thought that opinions are assholes, everyone has one. I posted my short but worthwhile experience with a product. Sounds like you need a hug or something. :grouphug:

caladash

Reaction score
So I have been hanging on for a while looking for a chip and I found one which happens to be a dp F5 for a good deal and lucky enough its within driving distance and its already programmed for a e99 ca auto truck. My question is who's running dp tunes and are their any complaints w/ the F5 chip?

Me personally, I would ask why he's selling the chip. If he went with some other tuner ask which tuner and why.

MossBack

Reaction score
Just over 50k miles and about 4 years running my dp f5 tuner. In that time I never had the cable fall out as mentioned.

IMO on big bores issue is poor installation or care.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

SoCalPSD

Reaction score
Me personally, I would ask why he's selling the chip. If he went with some other tuner ask which tuner and why.

It was his personal truck and then he purchased a new truck and now the trucks used as a delivery truck so he took everything off because of the other drivers were beating on it smoking out people

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
There are a few haters on DP products. I don't know why, but there are. They are the only tuner I have ever used, so I can't speak for any of the other tuning companies.

I believe there may have been a few issues YEARS ago, but they have all been worked out.

I have not heard of the wire ever coming out. I guess it is possible, but not likely.

I have the F6 and love it. I love my tunes, and Jody/Diane/James are all awesome. They are always there to help.

Maybe some of the other chips are better(personal opinions)?? All I know is I am very happy with what I have and customer service is a big thing for me.

I also know that 40,000+ DP chips have been sold. If they were so bad I don't believe they would still be in business.

My advice is to talk with Jody. If you are worried about anything he will be the best source to explain it all.

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
OP. I only had a brief experience with DP and it didn't end well. That's another story. However a chip will not help your trans issues in any way. In fact it will accelerate the problem.

Short Bus

Reaction score
There are a few haters on DP products. I don't know why, but there are. They are the only tuner I have ever used, so I can't speak for any of the other tuning companies.

I believe there may have been a few issues YEARS ago, but they have all been worked out.

I have not heard of the wire ever coming out. I guess it is possible, but not likely.

I have the F6 and love it. I love my tunes, and Jody/Diane/James are all awesome. They are always there to help.

Maybe some of the other chips are better(personal opinions)?? All I know is I am very happy with what I have and customer service is a big thing for me.

I also know that 40,000+ DP chips have been sold. If they were so bad I don't believe they would still be in business.

My advice is to talk with Jody. If you are worried about anything he will be the best source to explain it all.

yeah and im the pope lol. the reason that you dont hear about the failures is because they hide them, via intimidation. If your not happy and they cant change your mind about it they threaten to throw a law suit on ya when you express your dissatisfaction and bam most folks dont want to even mess with it. They have their problems just as the other guys do, its just that they are sneaky about it, work the fine lines and try to hide their problems. I'd run fuel 7 with nitrous and propane before i ran their stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online