DP F5?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
Sorry, but.......wrong. If it shoots in harder - it also shoots faster.

Correct, but at what time? I believe that is what the time means in timing.

The stuff he has was not from his truck per se, but even if it was - how would he know his timing was grossly over done?

Do you know what your CP's are like when you hammer down?

Well apparently someone was running it with that much timing, and they kept on doing it.

Yes I know what my ICP's are. At WOT I see about 2900-3000 PSI. Isn't that what I am supposed to see?

907DAVE

Reaction score

If you increase the pressure (ICP) behind a restriction (nozzle), then the time required to move a specific volume of fuel is reduced - thus increasing SOI.

Well apparently someone was running it with that much timing, and they kept on doing it.

Yes I know what my ICP's are. At WOT I see about 2900-3000 PSI. Isn't that what I am supposed to see?

I said CP's (cylinder pressure's) which are a direct result of boost and SOI (start of injection or "timing"). YOU dont know what these are, and neither did the countless people who windowed their blocks. If they did however, they would have not continued to run the programs and saved themselves a TON of money.

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
If you increase the pressure (ICP) behind a restriction (nozzle), then the time required to move a specific volume of fuel is reduced - thus increasing SOI.

You are still stating two different things. You used the word then to combine the two...

I said CP's (cylinder pressure's) which are a direct result of boost and SOI (start of injection or "timing"). YOU dont know what these are, and neither did the countless people who windowed their blocks. If they did however, they would have not continued to run the programs and saved themselves a TON of money.

You're right. I haven't checked my CP's. I guess I'll just trust my tuner on that ;)

Anyway, to the OP. The fact of the matter is if DP had such a horrible product they would not be around anymore. It doesn't matter how much they "intimidated" people. Word would eventually get out.

You will be fine running DP. And if you are worried about it. Call DP and talk to them.

KPSquared

Reaction score
I run an F6 and have had good luck so far. Like the power, love how it shifts. Jody told me he was 100% confident that I could start my truck in the 80e tune and warm it up in that tune with no issues. I have some EGT issues but my HPOP is probably weak so I'll look into that more once I get it replaced.

Their service has been awesome. I have no complaints. I guess if my truck blows up, I'll complain then.

Big Bore

Reaction score
Joe is about the biggest hater on DP lol. I have seen the charts he posted. There was a huge debate on them. Maybe they were true, maybe they were modified?? I guess only Joe knows for sure.

And maybe they weren't modified and thats why nothing ever came of the lawsuit threats against him.

Big Bore

Reaction score

Dave this entire concept seems to be flying over everyones heads. They get stuck on timing, not realizing that what is really snapping rods is a combination of too much power too early in the rpm's (reflected in the touchy pedal which a lot of people equate with better response) and too much timing.

The point you are making that if you have a certain amount of timing commanded, but inject at higher pressures, then you are effectively advancing the injection timing, even though it's not being commanded in the timing table, is interesting food for thought as it has possible potential for some advantages combating lag/delay. Figuring out how much it affects SOI must be the fun part.

Tom S

Reaction score
I have run tunes from Bill, Tony, and Jody. I have not found this huge difference in how those tunes run in any way shape or form. I consider all three of them my friend. I have an F-6 which uses the same cable and have not had any issues there either. The only time I have found I do not like a tune and prefer stock is on a road with glare ice or on a really rough road.

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
Big Bore and Dave, you guys make reference to a touchy pedal being harmful. Mine is horrible, the slightest bump will make the rpm's move. This is an ICP problem ?

Big Bore

Reaction score
Big Bore and Dave, you guys make reference to a touchy pedal being harmful. Mine is horrible, the slightest bump will make the rpm's move. This is an ICP problem ?

It's too much fuel called for too soon, like removing the first 1/4 of pedal travel. Probably accomplished with too much PW coupled with too much ICP, but I'm going with PW being the major factor. Dave will have better knowledge on that one.

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
There are a few haters on DP products. I don't know why, but there are. They are the only tuner I have ever used, so I can't speak for any of the other tuning companies.

I believe there may have been a few issues YEARS ago, but they have all been worked out.

I have not heard of the wire ever coming out. I guess it is possible, but not likely.

I have the F6 and love it. I love my tunes, and Jody/Diane/James are all awesome. They are always there to help.

Maybe some of the other chips are better(personal opinions)?? All I know is I am very happy with what I have and customer service is a big thing for me.

I also know that 40,000+ DP chips have been sold. If they were so bad I don't believe they would still be in business.

My advice is to talk with Jody. If you are worried about anything he will be the best source to explain it all.

There are hatters on DP products and you don't know why, but they are the only tuner you've ever run.... You answered your own question.

yeah and im the pope lol. the reason that you dont hear about the failures is because they hide them, via intimidation. If your not happy and they cant change your mind about it they threaten to throw a law suit on ya when you express your dissatisfaction and bam most folks dont want to even mess with it. They have their problems just as the other guys do, its just that they are sneaky about it, work the fine lines and try to hide their problems. I'd run fuel 7 with nitrous and propane before i ran their stuff.

LOL

Dave this entire concept seems to be flying over everyones heads. They get stuck on timing, not realizing that what is really snapping rods is a combination of too much power too early in the rpm's (reflected in the touchy pedal which a lot of people equate with better response) and too much timing.

The point you are making that if you have a certain amount of timing commanded, but inject at higher pressures, then you are effectively advancing the injection timing, even though it's not being commanded in the timing table, is interesting food for thought as it has possible potential for some advantages combating lag/delay. Figuring out how much it affects SOI must be the fun part.

:whs: Tons of variables to factor in. Another thing I've talked to a few people about, that dp loves to mess with is the TPS, which will also cause a very touchy throttle petal.

Personally after having run DP tunes I'm not a big fan of them, especially after running other tuners on my truck. The two things I was most unhappy with were the touchy throttle petal, and that the truck didn't sound anything remotely close to smooth running, the engine was very loud and "crackly".

firehunter

Reaction score
I ran DP tunes for years and a combined 200K miles on two 7.3L's and was satisfied, not overly impressed, but satisfied. The engine made quite a bit of noise in all settings, more so in 80E, the F5 cable (more than one) interfered with my Sirius satellite radio, I would get erratic idles and surging when switching tunes, and I did have the electronic switch come off the end of the cable one time. My biggest complaint was the radio interference and the inability to try any other tunes on that chip. I drive a 6-speed so I cannot speak to auto transmission performance.

I now have a TS style chip with whatever tunes I feel like trying at the time.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
I spoke with Jody about that, as that was a concern for me. He assured me that his injection timing is actually lower than most other tuners. I believe he said he focuses on more ICP. I would be interested to know what Economy tunes are really based on. What makes them differ from lets say a street tune?

I am sure if I called the manufacture of asbestos they would tell me it was wonderful stuff and I should wear it for a shirt... But if I know its going to kill me, I would move to something else.

Joe is about the biggest hater on DP lol. I have seen the charts he posted. There was a huge debate on them. Maybe they were true, maybe they were modified?? I guess only Joe knows for sure.

Come on... Why, Why, Why would I make this crap up? What do I have to gain?

I also asked Jody about my tuning when I had questions about the loud idle and the touchy peddle. I was told it was normal and my tuning was safe.

FYI I had PMR safe and 30% meth tuning on my chip... RODS held up, the block could not handle it...

The stuff he has is from actual programs pulled off of chips - from rod'd DP tuned trucks.

Truuust me.

Here is a DP tuning 80e map... yummy stuff...

pmt1_stock_vs_80e.jpg

Now here is a guy who tunes part time for the love of the sport...

tdp_80_daily.jpg

Another good old DP map...

boom.jpg

2755955330100112691S600x600Q85.jpg

If he saw that timing was so advanced, why did he continue running it until it blew?

I didn't know it was... I THOUGHT I was running the safest tuner I could. I was prepared for breaking trannys, turbos, rear ends, all that chit... I was not prepared to blow a motor at the HP level I was at... Didn't think it was a tuning issue until the heads came off... It was quite clear at that point what caused that motor to pop in less then 30k...

FYI, the used motor I put in, has been in for about 35k, running larger injectors with nozzles larger then before... Hummmmm. Different tuner.

Sorry, but.......wrong. If it shoots in harder - it also shoots faster.

The stuff he has was not from his truck per se, but even if it was - how would he know his timing was grossly over done?

Do you know what your CP's are like when you hammer down?

I knew what the CP's were when I was running Tadd's tunning, should have never changed, but I got all caught up in the hoopla.

And maybe they weren't modified and thats why nothing ever came of the lawsuit threats against him.

It was the same crap they do to everyone that crosses them... Intimidation, insults and trash talk... Remember the old head light thread, Jody could not stick to the issue, instead had to keep bring up a scope issue which has nothing to do with the truck turning off when ya turn your damn headlights on.

I ran DP tunes for years and a combined 200K miles on two 7.3L's and was satisfied, not overly impressed, but satisfied. The engine made quite a bit of noise in all settings, more so in 80E, the F5 cable (more than one) interfered with my Sirius satellite radio, I would get erratic idles and surging when switching tunes, and I did have the electronic switch come off the end of the cable one time. My biggest complaint was the radio interference and the inability to try any other tunes on that chip. I drive a 6-speed so I cannot speak to auto transmission performance.

I now have a TS style chip with whatever tunes I feel like trying at the time.

You didn't have HID's in there did you???

For years I used to listen to AM 640 "KFI"... Its a LA radio station that I could pick up from Denver to New Mexico to Washington... With DP, I could not pick up ANY radio stations that were not completely local.

Now I can pick up that radio station again...

DP tunes killed my love for this sport... Killed it.
DP tunes are the reason about 80% of the CR swaps are done, or 7.3 race trucks are gone...

Don't take this chit to PM's, don't email it... DONT HIDE THIS CRAP. I end up being the one to bring it to light because I hate bullchit.:doh:

Last edited:

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Listen to KFI sometime... They have some weird crap on there...LOL

firehunter

Reaction score
You didn't have HID's in there did you???

For years I used to listen to AM 640 "KFI"... Its a LA radio station that I could pick up from Denver to New Mexico to Washington... With DP, I could not pick up ANY radio stations that were not completely local.

Now I can pick up that radio station again...

No, I did not and do not have HID headlights.

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
Joe, I'm glad that I'm not the only one that doesn't mind pointing out the obvious. Like the two guys about 3 or 4 weeks ago that both blew a rod out of their block within a week of each other, both running dp tuning. Which Jody proceeded to explain how it was, and I quote
NO WAY IT WAS MY TUNING!!!!!

Another good old DP map...

boom.jpg

LOL Picture frame worthy!

joebob3093

Reaction score
I remember driving joes truck one time and couldn't believe how loud it was at an idle and it almost got me and his wife stranded on night.

PTSUPERD

Reaction score
I have run tunes from Bill, Tony, and Jody. I have not found this huge difference in how those tunes run in any way shape or form. I consider all three of them my friend. I have an F-6 which uses the same cable and have not had any issues there either. The only time I have found I do not like a tune and prefer stock is on a road with glare ice or on a really rough road.

I would not hesitate to call Jody or Diane today and order a chip if I was back in a 7.3. I would not even give it a second thought. That goes for any 7.3 tuner. Swamps, DI, PHP, TDP, Beans etc....

I would feel safe running tunes from any of these guys.

Same crap different day. The last 7.3 for sale in the U.S rolled off the assembly line almost nine years ago. Here we are...

How long has the attack been going on from the same people on the net?

:morons: <--dead horse

PTSUPERD

Reaction score
I remember driving joes truck one time and couldn't believe how loud it was at an idle and it almost got me and his wife stranded on night.

You should have tried Fuel 7 from DI.:shocked:

The point is 7.3 tuning has evolved exponentially.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online