ESOF

abbottfarms

Reaction score
Not sure if this is in the right place or not, if not fell free to move it.

Having some 4x4 issues on the wifes 04 f-250 gasser with ESOF/MANUAL HUBS.

The story, four wheel drive worked in the morning, used it to move a trailer around in the snow, once done I took it out of 4x4, unlocked the hubs and made a 65 mile round trip. Once home locked the hubs back in, and tried to put it back into 4x4 and got nothing, no light on the dash, no clicking, no nothing. I crawled under the truck and everything is plugged in at the transfer case shift motor.

Checked the 2 fuses I could find 4x4 related (#19-body security module/4x4 module and #111 4wd/shift on the fly) both are good.
So I suspect it's either the t-case shift motor or the switch.
Had a new t-case shift motor 2 years ago from Ford.
How would I go about checking the switch?
Is there another fuse/relay that I have missed?

Thanks in advance.

907DAVE

Reaction score
The relays are a common problem area.

There should be a relay pack (or two) near the master cylinder. If there is two sets of relays you need to go after the ones with 5 pins. Try swapping in some know good relays and see what happens. Swapping the existing relays may not work as they both need to function for the system to work.

abbottfarms

Reaction score
So I should be able to pull one out, see the pin patter and go to the parts house and pick up a couple new relays to try in there correct? I don't see any relays 4x4 related doing a parts search, but maybe I'm just tired and looking in the incorrect place for a 4x4 relay?

907DAVE

Reaction score
Any of your standard 5 pin relay that's in the 20 amp range will do. Napa # ar-143 will probably be the cheapest option, but you will have to grind the mounting tab off to get the lid back on.

abbottfarms

Reaction score
Ok, thanks. I will pick a couple up tomorrow and see if I can swap them out and I'll see what it does. Hopefully with any luck things will work again.

What else do those 2 relays do that your talking about? Or are do they just effect the 4wd?
Thanks for the help thus far.

Atsah

Reaction score
I believe there only used for the ESOF Dave.. Remove them, clean the contacts with an emery cloth and reinstall just for the he!! of it before you buy new ones.. Do your 4x4 lights light up key on?

abbottfarms

Reaction score
Mark, Hadn't taken notice before if they do or not since it stopped working, so I just ran out in my slippers (should have waited for light to come on because the drift I stepped in was higher then my damn slippers) and turned the key on...no 4x4 or 4low lights. I know the bulbs work because when you hold the trip reset button to get to all that other mumbo jumbo the test light function illuminates them. So does the no 4x4 lights on KO lead to the relays? I am all but clueless on this ESOF crap. Everything else I own has a lever on the floor.

907DAVE

Reaction score
Relays are a good place to start. If you the encoder motor never makes the shift the light will not illuminate.

abbottfarms

Reaction score
Relays are a good place to start. If you the encoder motor never makes the shift the light will not illuminate.

I understand that, but they do not come on when you first turn the key on. Hadn't taken notice of them not coming on until Mark asked about it. I assume if the relays are bad it will prevent the lights from illuminating when you first turn the key on?

907DAVE

Reaction score
Good question. Not sure if it is suppose to run a bulb check key on that year.

abbottfarms

Reaction score
I don't drive it often my wife who drives it everyday says they did come on with all the other lights then went back out after a few seconds along with the others. Like I said when you hold the trip reset button, then turn the key on to get it in "gauge mode" when you get to the "test bulbs" they illuminate so I have to assume they are related.

907DAVE

Reaction score
Hmm.

That might just be because there is a fault code in the system. Really need a scan to to verify that though.

Atsah

Reaction score
If the light doesn't come on, key on, I would think the circuit is not complete.. I would say you have a connection problem either the plug at the motor on the T-case or one of the relays is not making contact or bad.. That would be my best guess.. I would take those replays out and clean up the contacts first.. Are you sure you didn't pull the plug out of the motor pulling the trailer through the snow..

I'm not to sure to tell you truth but like 907Dave said, it could be it set a code and that's why it's off but IDK..

abbottfarms

Reaction score
Hmm.

That might just be because there is a fault code in the system. Really need a scan to to verify that though.

I have a snap on scanner at the shop, but with the snow I am not at the shop. I'll grab a couple relays while I am out sanding in the morning, try those tomorrow morning if still nothing I'll have one of the boys come get it and take it over to put it on the scanner to see if there is anything. Hopefully it's just a bad relay and a couple new ones smartens it up.

abbottfarms

Reaction score
If the light doesn't come on, key on, I would think the circuit is not complete.. I would say you have a connection problem either the plug at the motor on the T-case or one of the relays is not making contact or bad.. That would be my best guess.. I would take those replays out and clean up the contacts first.. Are you sure you didn't pull the plug out of the motor pulling the trailer through the snow..

I'm not to sure to tell you truth but like 907Dave said, it could be it set a code and that's why it's off but IDK..

That's kinda what I was thinking about the light's not coming on. Fuse/relay bad.

I crawled under the truck and everything is plugged in underneath at the motor. It has a skid plate there also, so it would be a heck of time to get anything up there to bother. I'll try cleaning the contacts tomorrow, but I'm leaving about 1 am, so I'm still going to grab a couple relays just in case cleaning the contacts doesn't do much.

Last edited:

Atsah

Reaction score
Pretty sure that's not the case, I crawled under the truck and everything is plugged in underneath at the motor. It has a skid plate there also, so it would be a heck of time to get anything up there to bother. I'll try cleaning the contacts tomorrow, but I'm leaving about 1 am, so I'm still going to grab a couple relays just in case cleaning the contacts doesn't do much.

Let us know Dave, I'm interested to see what you find..

abbottfarms

Reaction score
Let us know Dave, I'm interested to see what you find..

Also, when I replaced the motor on the T-case a couple years ago I took a small zip tie threw the connector and the snap on the motor so prevent it from coming un-hooked. I really hope it's just a bad relay. I will for sure keep this thread up-dated. Mark, if anyone chimes in on the thread with a new idea tomorrow and I'm not around, either give me a ring or shoot me a e-mail if you would.

Last edited:

907DAVE

Reaction score
Yeah, thats where my money is at. They also had a problem will them falling out of the holder - flipping upside down - and water corroding the connections/ relays.

Ohh, and there may be up to 3 relay boxes up in that corner. It should be the one nearest to the master cylinder - there may be another thats closer to the fender and another closer to the firewall. :)

abbottfarms

Reaction score
Yeah, thats where my money is at. They also had a problem will them falling out of the holder - flipping upside down - and water corroding the connections/ relays.

Ohh, and there may be up to 3 relay boxes up in that corner. It should be the one nearest to the master cylinder - there may be another thats closer to the fender and another closer to the firewall. :)

Is it going to be the only 5 pin relays?

907DAVE

Reaction score
Yup, the other should have 4's - and the other has a few relays and fuses in it.

Latest posts

Members online