Famous 6.7 tick after oil change

Sins4u33

Reaction score
15k miles, every time i change the oil tick tick tack tick tack for at least a few hundred miles...not sure what to do...it goes away tho

uga33

Reaction score
To the top! Was browsing the web on this subject and came across this explanation.

"The explanation is that timing gears are noisey. Diesels use timing gears as they give more lifespan than chain setups used on gas engines. Gas engines have less rotational "commotion" than diesels and have good longevity with chains (usually).
When you make the engine so quiet otherwise then noises that were there before but masked now can be heard. The soot in the oil gives more cushion and the lash rollover between the gears driving cam and the high pressure fuel pump is suppressed once the oil gets some particles in it. The crankshaft accelerates with each injection power stroke and slows with each compression stroke and the gears touch on one flank and then the other from the speed up and then slow down and then speed up cycling. Above idle the speed variation diminishes with increased momentum of the whole rotating mass and the noise diminishes.
The break in that everyone LOVES to see happen also yields more lash between gears. Those gears had less lash when new and then the gear teeth polished over and the metal wore slightly and opened up some lash. The oil got some particles in it before the lash increased and covered the noise until you changed the oil. The wear on the gears will now be negligible for hundreds of thousands of miles. Ford may add scissor gear feature to one or two of the gears to shut it up in the future but don't count on that being a retrofit if it ever comes to be. Some 4 cylinder engines with gear drive balance shafts do this same thing after an oil service and it goes way within 500 miles on those."

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

uga33

Reaction score
Sounds more like a theory than a definitive explanation.

After reading this guy's idea I got to thinking about my current ticking schedule. After deleting the EGR on my truck, my oil is still a honey/gold tint 3500 miles into the oil change interval and the truck is still ticking. My first time around with 10w30, the EGR system was still active and intact and the truck stopped ticking around the 500 mile mark into the oil change interval. Just wondering (and REALLY hoping) this guy is on to something. I just have to know why. It will help the acceptance process.

09stroker

Reaction score
The way I see it if what he's saying is true you should hear a tick on every cylinder firing on every rotation. Idk about your tick but it seems completely random, no pattern or regularity.

SAK

Reaction score
I think it's a oil viscosity/flow problem.

As the oil thins out, it flows easier, and the tick goes away.

oilfieldstroker

Reaction score
Ok guys I just did an oil change I went from 10w30 amsoil oem oil running revx. Ticking went away probably 600 miles into change. noise appeared to be coming from drivers side engine bank only audible at idle to 1300 rpm. Dpf egr present. Now I changed to deleted and I'm running 5w40 schaeffers 9000 and the tick appears to be coming from the passengers side bank and is very loud and audible at all rpms. Not concerned or worried just thought I would share this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Hmmm... it sound weird and if the post from a couple above ours is at all correct then the oil needs to be thicker.. thats tye way im reading it.. but you have used a 10w30 with revx and the tick went away within 600 miles or so which is pretty close to what I have found too and I wouod think revx would thin the oil slightly so I dont kniw what to believe is happening.. the only time I have changed the oil and the tick didnt re apear was when I used delo 15-40 with a pint of schaeffers molly ep treatment.. I might add some to my 5-40 synthetic this time around to see if that helps but I doubt it..

live life full throttle

oilfieldstroker

Reaction score
Gremlins. But in all seriousness I'm stumped as is ford haha. It's more of an annoyance than a concern. Which sucks I'm going to the pulls tonight and that's the last thing I need is my ford making a knock like a dodge neon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

G Racing

Reaction score
So who has tried the ar9100 to get rid of the ticking? Put some in a 6.7 that was ticking. After a day it doesn't tick anymore. Going to try the next oil change without it and see what happens.

mwdguy

Reaction score
Just did my 4th oil change. Have been running AMS OIL 5w40 since 3000 miles and never made this noise. This oil change just started making the noise. Very noticeable with windows down beside other vehicles.

Corb@CorbinShipping

Reaction score
So who has tried the ar9100 to get rid of the ticking? Put some in a 6.7 that was ticking. After a day it doesn't tick anymore. Going to try the next oil change without it and see what happens.

Still no ticking bro! I will get some for the next oil change, and use same oil... Def reporting back though.

Latest posts

Members online