Famous 6.7 tick after oil change

CATDiezel

Reaction score
I change my oil at 10k running full synthetic and fully deleted. Tick is there for the first couple thousand miles. I have actually made the tick go away by leaving the engine oil level at 1/2 to 1/4 on the dip stick. I quit letting it bother me.... my duramax did the exact same thing for over 100,000 miles. No biggy

CATDiezel

Reaction score
I think it's a oil viscosity/flow problem.

As the oil thins out, it flows easier, and the tick goes away.

This is 100% accurate. Regardless of the weight of oil. As the TBN VALUE lowers the oil stiction is less. And simply flows across the parts better. But you don't lose lubricity. It's the nature of the beast.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
This is 100% accurate. Regardless of the weight of oil. As the TBN VALUE lowers the oil stiction is less. And simply flows across the parts better. But you don't lose lubricity. It's the nature of the beast.

hmmm that doesn't make sense to me.. Ive added 2 pints of Schaeffers moly ep to a fresh oil change of cheveron delo and it never ticked one time.

live life full throttle

CATDiezel

Reaction score
I'm sorry it doesn't make since. Certain 4000hp up cat engines have the same issue. Later model engines only. Chased the issue for awhile. Certain additive packages were added to change the stiction properties. Call Mobil oil company and ask them. Just sharing what I know and have seen with my laser cut eyeballs. Lol

There are multiple equations to the famous tick. Ambient air temp. Dew point. Relative humidity. All affect the coolant system factor and heat rejection of the block vs moving components. Aka thermal growth. The answer is too complicated for ford to put in a TSB as it would overwhelm the vast majority of technicians and shade tree mecanicks lol again. In short. Thermal growth plays a big factor.

Last edited:

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I'm sorry it doesn't make since. Certain 4000hp up cat engines have the same issue. Later model engines only. Chased the issue for awhile. Certain additive packages were added to change the stiction properties. Call Mobil oil company and ask them. Just sharing what I know and have seen with my laser cut eyeballs. Lol

There are multiple equations to the famous tick. Ambient air temp. Dew point. Relative humidity. All affect the coolant system factor and heat rejection of the block vs moving components. Aka thermal growth. The answer is too complicated for ford to put in a TSB as it would overwhelm the vast majority of technicians and shade tree mecanicks lol again. In short. Thermal growth plays a big factor.

well alrighty then. lol

live life full throttle

CATDiezel

Reaction score
well alrighty then. lol

live life full throttle

What I'm trying to get at is there IS an scientific explanation to the rickity rickety tickety!! It really is a gear train oil slap. Lol. Ever play with the little Lucas Oil display with the gears at your favorite auto parts store as a kid (or in my case will do till I die!!) ? Lol

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
What I'm trying to get at is there IS an scientific explanation to the rickity rickety tickety!! It really is a gear train oil slap. Lol. Ever play with the little Lucas Oil display with the gears at your favorite auto parts store as a kid (or in my case will do till I die!!) ? Lol

yep

live life full throttle

zporta

Reaction score
now what does this tick sound like? is it a constant consistent tick? or is it kind of random sounding like the a/c condenser making some noise?

just changed my oil to Amsoil and am now paranoid im hearing things

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
now what does this tick sound like? is it a constant consistent tick? or is it kind of random sounding like the a/c condenser making some noise?

just changed my oil to Amsoil and am now paranoid im hearing things
its been discussed a few times. if you know what an old swing arm typewriter sounds like then you know what the tick sounds like.

dieselpower

Reaction score
Was reading this thread a few months ago, so I remembered it now that my Dads is doing the same thing. Brand new '14, after the first oil change at Ford the other day it now has this tick as well. Seems to be intermittent so far...interesting. Def be interested if there is any real solution to this, or if someone has an idea what it is.

Thought I would post here in case anyone thought it was fixed on the '14's, because apparently it's not.

dieselpower

Reaction score
Was reading this thread a few months ago, so I remembered it now that my Dads is doing the same thing. Brand new '14, after the first oil change at Ford the other day it now has this tick as well. Seems to be intermittent so far...interesting. Def be interested if there is any real solution to this, or if someone has an idea what it is.

Thought I would post here in case anyone thought it was fixed on the '14's, because apparently it's not.

This is with Motorcraft 10-30. Truck has around 5800 miles.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
this oci i went with the delo 10-30 and the ticking was the worst it has ever been and ticked the longest. usually with the 5-40 or 15-40 the tick went away before 500 miles. i have almost 1k on this oci and the tick is still present....

Boompats

Reaction score
Just joined the club with my 13' at 22,700 miles. After 1,100 miles of ticking, I put some XL-17 in and it did quiet things down a hair, but it is still there.

It is annoying, but I'm grateful to hear that it isn't something catastrophic since I deleted at 17k. Will be trying XL-17 right off the bat at the next oil change with fingers crossed.

Craig@MFI

Reaction score
I've ran valvoline 5w-40 since 1000 miles when it was new and are getting ready to break 30,000 and still no tick

WhiteMamba_Scorpion

Reaction score
I ran Rotella T6 (Full Synthetic 5w-40) for around 33,000 miles with no tick.

I will most likely continue to run Rotella T6 in my built motor when it's done.

dsmracing1

Reaction score
I ran Rotella T6 (Full Synthetic 5w-40) for around 33,000 miles with no tick.

I will most likely continue to run Rotella T6 in my built motor when it's done.

X2 we run this oil in a fleet of trucks, front end loaders, heavy haul trucks and expensive one off equipment for the past 7 years I've been working for my company. Good Product!

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
update on the 10-30 delo i switched to.... i wont use it again... 2500 miles and the tick is still present... mileage is down. this time last year i averaged 17-18mpg with the cruis set at 78 on the freeway... havnt hit17mpg yet and i have been driving a lil slower....

just for the hell of it i added 2 pint of Schaeffers moly ep and after about 10 minutes, the tick was gone...

live life full throttle

Stangr8cr

Reaction score
Has any one had the tick come and go? Never had it before my last oil change @ 19.2k tick shows up, never goes away. Flash forward to 21.7k, turbo fails, I change oil after turbo swap and no tick. Same oil Rotella T6. Hope it never comes back, it's annoying as hell. I hear the smallest noise changes and my wife always laughs at me like I have a condition or something.

Keith

Latest posts

Members online