First 6.0 motor to tear down..photos

java

Reaction score
I don't think it is neccessary to balance it, but a very good upgrade if it's apart. My old motor was bored .040 with EDEs stage 1 cam and 185s and it didn't have any problems and it wasn't balanced.

baddkarmaracing

Reaction score
And it would probably still be together of someone hadnt let his water pump come apart lol. You still suck for never letting me drive it with the old motor!

MorganY

Reaction score
Thanks diesel craft! I believe the build won't happen until summer when I'm making serious coin offshore. I am really trying to refrain from spending for the compounds that Matt (cutting edge) and I are planning around early 2012.. :thumbup:

Last edited:

Extended Power

Reaction score
Yup....$549.00 this time around for balancing. It was more this time because of freight charges.
If you go with aftermarket rods, they should all be pretty close to the same weight.
Another must have: new flexplate, and dampner bolts...they are torque to yield...use once, and throw away. Cheap....I bought them today and they were less then $20.00.
Take your time....double check, and then check again before moving on to the next thing when assembling...

MorganY

Reaction score
Yup....$549.00 this time around for balancing. It was more this time because of freight charges.
If you go with aftermarket rods, they should all be pretty close to the same weight.
Another must have: new flexplate, and dampner bolts...they are torque to yield...use once, and throw away. Cheap....I bought them today and they were less then $20.00.
Take your time....double check, and then check again before moving on to the next thing when assembling...

Thanks! When it comes time for the build in 2012 and I have all of the parts in hand, I will definitely need help. I can figure it out with the shop manual..but I haven't built an engine before and if it gets too rough to build the bottom end, I'll take it to PowerStroke Magic!

The machine shop just got the block out of the tank today and they were about to magna flux it! I asked to bore it out to a 20 over but I need to bring a piston in to the shop in janurary when they open again.

06deezel

Reaction score
lower compression means less cylinder pressure but you can put more fuel into the cylinder making more power...it seems to spool a bigger charger faster.....less strain on headgaskets and studs.....im not to good at explaing it, so correct me if im wrong but thats what i know about it

Zmann

Reaction score
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but you're not really supposed to just lay cranks on the ground like that right? Don't they typically build some sort of stand to make it stand vertically?

your not supposed to long term store them horizontally without support or just stand em up

Reaction score
You know I was told earlier this year by some of the best engine builders that that is an old myth. The reason they were stood up years ago cause cranks back before 1940 were weak and would flex, now days it isn't an issue. This was straight out of the mouths of 3 guys and the engine masters challenge this year.

genuineford

Reaction score
You know I was told earlier this year by some of the best engine builders that that is an old myth. The reason they were stood up years ago cause cranks back before 1940 were weak and would flex, now days it isn't an issue. This was straight out of the mouths of 3 guys and the engine masters challenge this year.

What the hell do you know anyway!! :poke:

windrunner408

Reaction score
What the hell do you know anyway!! :poke:

I know that I am not an engine builder so maybe i dont know much, but in all honesty that sounds like a load of BULL **** that you can't lay a crank shaft on its side. I mean REALLY!?!? :slap: Its like comeon here let's use some common sense here and think about it for a minute. Think about ALL of the stresses put on these cranks when they are in the the motor running and then you are going to tell me that simply the weight of the crank by itself on the floor is too much for it to handle and it will warp. Yeah right. Unless I hear it from a reputable engine builder with some hard fast data that a crank in that condition will warp or deflect, then I am going to stick with the guy that heard it from the engine builders :stupid: Just sayin it makes sense.

genuineford

Reaction score
I know that I am not an engine builder so maybe i dont know much, but in all honesty that sounds like a load of BULL **** that you can't lay a crank shaft on its side. I mean REALLY!?!? :slap: Its like comeon here let's use some common sense here and think about it for a minute. Think about ALL of the stresses put on these cranks when they are in the the motor running and then you are going to tell me that simply the weight of the crank by itself on the floor is too much for it to handle and it will warp. Yeah right. Unless I hear it from a reputable engine builder with some hard fast data that a crank in that condition will warp or deflect, then I am going to stick with the guy that heard it from the engine builders :stupid: Just sayin it makes sense.

I was just messing with Mike btw.

java

Reaction score
Are you gonna get notched pistons for a stage 2 cam? Or just stick with a stage 1 cam?

Latest posts

Members online