Reaction score
All washed up, although its snowing

Attachments

• IMAG0190.jpg
    IMAG0190.jpg
    941.6 KB · Views: 81

madman1234509

Reaction score
Pressurized the system... No boost leaks. Took the gate off the check it right now. Might plug the piping and go for a ride. Desired and actual bp are same same. Max boost has been 38, max bp at max boost 63 uncorrected. Sound low to anyone? If its not the gate leaking what else could it be?

madman1234509

Reaction score
Ok unplugged vgt... Truck doesn't surge anymore so obv its the vgt doing this, but it only does it under load when the torque converter is locked. So as we all know we cant drive around with the vgt unplugged. What would cause the vgt to do this at this time. The rest of the time the truck runs hard with no hiccups.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Ok so unplugging the vgt might make the back.pressure low enough that the wastegate isn't opening but with it plugged in might be making the gate chatter what spring is in.the gate? How's it plumed?

madman1234509

Reaction score
two springs in the gate.... its a JGS 50mm gate. If you look at the pictures. The top port is an exhaust reference, and bottom port towards the body of the gate is boost reference. Boost reference goes to the boost regulator that I have closed completely off so there is no boost going to the gate then to the boost reference on the intercooler piping. I took the gate off, with the egr pipe attached, closed off the pipe and charged it with air, gate has no leaks and is working as it should on springs alone, charged exhaust and boost reference ports with no leaks as well. With as much bp the is holding the piston in the gate shut, its not going to open. Tested the gate with another identical brand new gate and it was exactly the same. It I turn the regulator down to 32 psi of boost itll stay consistent on the gauge. Like I said boost and EP are constant and consistent. Only making 38 psi of boost.

Tested boost regulator, its good with no leaks, tested reference lines, neither is plugged or leaking. Back pressure with the vgt unplugged would still get up to 70 uncorrected once spooled up

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Never seen a gate plumed to the exhaust side most just split the intake side

Does back pressure fluctuate with tthe surge?

White_monster

Reaction score
By looking at your pics you have lines from the regulator to the top and side of the gate and nothing from the exhaust. The reason your building bp is cause the sensor is before the gate. Cap the line to the side port but dint cap the port as it needs to vent when it cycles, and run full boost to the top port and see what happens. These trucks don't generate boost if the gate opens which is correct obviously, but they will still generate bp, I know this cause I've blown a reference line and bp goes up. Try this and see.

Last edited:

madman1234509

Reaction score
Back pressure doesnt fluctuate during the surging, I think you can see that in the videos, nothing fluctuates besides the vgt duty cycle, as seen in the videos. There is one reference line going to the waste gate from the driver side up pipe, and one reference going to the waste gate from the intercooler piping, give me two minutes ill post a pic to show you.

madman1234509

Reaction score
As you can kind of see in the photos. The port closest to the body of the waste gate goes to the regulator. The port closest to the top of the waste gate goes down near the engine and back to the up pipe

What would cause the vgt actuator to flucuate like with the torque converter locked and under load and not the rest of the time? What does the computer read to change the vgt position? Maybe some kind of sensor that the computer reads to change the vgt position is bad?

Attachments

• IMAG0186.jpg
    IMAG0186.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 50
  • IMAG0199.jpg
    IMAG0199.jpg
    845 KB · Views: 46
  • IMAG0213.jpg
    IMAG0213.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 46
Last edited:

madman1234509

Reaction score
well right now the regulator is closed off...there is no boost getting to that side port. you want me to try taking the line off and just let it vent? My buddy has the same exact set up and it works fine, but if you think just letting it vent will make a difference then Ill try it. All the boost reference would do is help open the gate against the spring and exhaust reference pressure

madman1234509

Reaction score
How are you guys running your gates? Are they similar to mine with the two ports? I just saw a diagram like that on jgs website but I think its for more gas engines then diesels because of the higher back pressure. Thank you for the diagram though

Just talked to my buddy, his is plumbed the same exact way and it works perfect and he makes 50-52 lbs of boost with it. So I really dont think its my gate.

Anyone have info on the vgt as to why it would fluctuate? Any sensors I should check or replace that might control the vgt? Ive never heard anyone having a problem like this after an egr delete, or after adding a gate. I really HIGHLY doubt its the cam causing any boost related issues. Dont think its the fuel rails, if anything my fuel rail pressure is higher then it used to be. Im running the newest 310 tune from spartan so that shouldnt care if the egr is on the truck or not

Last edited:

Dzchey21

Reaction score
As you can kind of see in the photos. The port closest to the body of the waste gate goes to the regulator. The port closest to the top of the waste gate goes down near the engine and back to the up pipe

What would cause the vgt actuator to flucuate like with the torque converter locked and under load and not the rest of the time? What does the computer read to change the vgt position? Maybe some kind of sensor that the computer reads to change the vgt position is bad?

VGT duty cycle shouldnt really fluctuate as long as back pressure is staying pretty close to the same

HOWEVER i have been finding that vgt duty cycle is pretty dependent on throttle position as well, so maybe the next step would be to watch the throttle position and see what it does when it surges

BFT

Reaction score
That's how I had it set up with stock turbos and with my high powers

I wonder if you are experiencing the valve flutter on the gate?

Last edited:

madman1234509

Reaction score
maybe, ill switch to thottle position sensor on the dd and watch it in the morning, could be a bad tps, but then again id kind of expect it to do it all the time not just with the tq converter locked. As of right now im going to leave the gate how it is (shut/non opening) If its not opening it cant contribute to the problem.

Latest posts

Members online