Help help help codes no power please

dsberman94

Reaction score
Your video sounded normal but I am on my phone, what didn't seem normal was the way the actuator responded. Didn't move then jumped. The fact that you say the rpms move normal to your touch on the pedal makes me believe that the tps is all good but something to the vgt actuator isn't right. Whether it be the actuator itself or the wiring.

TXlineman83

Reaction score
Your video sounded normal but I am on my phone, what didn't seem normal was the way the actuator responded. Didn't move then jumped. The fact that you say the rpms move normal to your touch on the pedal makes me believe that the tps is all good but something to the vgt actuator isn't right. Whether it be the actuator itself or the wiring.

Yeah no luck with the other video. It's still gonna go to PSE. I'm just going to keep looking at it until I can get it dropped off. If I can figure it out I'll feel much better about this then paying someone to fix a problem another shop shouldn't have caused.

I really wish I knew another deleted 6.4 locally I could sit next to and compare.
The sound I was referring to is early into the video. I don't know how to explain it.

dsberman94

Reaction score
Yeah no luck with the other video. It's still gonna go to PSE. I'm just going to keep looking at it until I can get it dropped off. If I can figure it out I'll feel much better about this then paying someone to fix a problem another shop shouldn't have caused.

I really wish I knew another deleted 6.4 locally I could sit next to and compare.
The sound I was referring to is early into the video. I don't know how to explain it.

I'm not sure that you would need to compare to another deleted one. I wish I still had access to the ford computer programs and that stuff so I could tell you what the vgt solenoid pins should be putting out at a given time. Just the way that moved looked weird. I though it shout be more smooth without that big jump at the beginning.

TXlineman83

Reaction score
I'm not sure that you would need to compare to another deleted one. I wish I still had access to the ford computer programs and that stuff so I could tell you what the vgt solenoid pins should be putting out at a given time. Just the way that moved looked weird. I though it shout be more smooth without that big jump at the beginning.

I can understand that one. I'll take another video tomorrow and ease into the throttle slower. See what she does then.

B585Ford

Reaction score
After seeing the vid I doubt it is TPS. I would try to the video on canned tunes or contact Matt about whether the actuator should do that. Matt is so far advanced in tuning and his priority is to be smoke free so the actuator movement may be normal with his tunes in an attempt to control smoke.
Assuming the actuator movement isn't normal, you could try the electical side of things before replacing the actuator.

UpstateDieselGuy

Reaction score
I may have missed it in the reading, but have you checked the VGT Actuator and EBP Sensor, the connection, and wiring? I know the tubes connecting to the manifolds can get plugged with soot too. I know on my old 6.0 the plug on the actuator had wiggled loose and it defaulted open and was obviously a lathargic smokey pig. If the EBP is bad it may be getting incorrect and/or no readings which will factor in to how the PCM calculates desired boost. Just food for thought.

Chris

jngreen

Reaction score
They move fairly evenly. Only become jumpy if I try a boosted launch. At which they the rpms will not raise above 1000rpm

And the sounds the motor makes at low rpm throttle sounds horrible like it's missing or something.

If you do a boosted launch, you can only get the rpms to raise to 1000? That doesn't sound good. Maybe you are lugging the motor with a bad torque converter. Or you have some major electrical issues.

johnp115

Reaction score
If you do a boosted launch, you can only get the rpms to raise to 1000? That doesn't sound good. Maybe you are lugging the motor with a bad torque converter. Or you have some major electrical issues.

No matter how hard you try it wont go over 1000?

Sounds pretty bad then to me, because holding the brakes and getting over 1000 shouldnt be hard at all

johnp115

Reaction score
Yes. Will not climb over 1000 rpm. Kinda bounces around

http://youtu.be/MEjSOFasW8Q

That's full throttle in drive standing on the brakes. If u get what I mean

Wow, well im not that knowledgeable but id have to guess something other than turbos. Because even if it had no turbo on it, it would still go above 1000. cause my rpms will go well above 1000 before the single builds boost when i brake boost it

dsberman94

Reaction score
That seems like a vgt issue to me. When the vgt actuator wasn't working on my friends truck it wouldn't rev either. Don't remember what it would go to but it wasn't very high. Your backpressure is probably through the roof when your doing that.

TXlineman83

Reaction score
Wow, well im not that knowledgeable but id have to guess something other than turbos. Because even if it had no turbo on it, it would still go above 1000. cause my rpms will go well above 1000 before the single builds boost when i brake boost it

That's all I needed to know. Now to figure out what controls that

dsberman94

Reaction score
If you can, get a helper. Disconnect the plug to the vgt solenoid. Have the helper try to brake boost it while you move the arm, see if it goes above 1000. Just do it carefully.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online