Help me pic a turbo F450

Stroked383

Reaction score
Ok so working on a late 99 F450. Truck is a crew cab, zf6, 4.88s, real heavy flatbed(weighed 10,500 empty) used as a contractors daily and a trailer is always hooked to it. Uses same truck to pull monster travel trailer on weekends. Has afe intake, ATS ported compressor housing, 4in tbe, and a dp tuner. With the 488s this thing obviously screams on the highway and he's never in the slow lane. Problem is this thing gets hot on hills, real hot. I've cleaned everything up front and cac has good air flow now. Up pipes were leaking, fixed those and that cooled things off Abit but still has no problem getting to 1500 degrees. Which doesn't really sound right to me, hell more rpms mean more air right should cool things off but no you could wrap the pyro around if your foot desires. Makes 22-25lbs of boost. Still has ebpv but was wired open just to test to ensure wasn't closing under boost. Really feels like the exhaust side is to small. Mind you when running 75mph this thing is turning (doesn't help to slow down). My personal truck with the d66 with a 1.10 turbine housing (I think, it's a older one, I see the new ones say 1.15) I can hold my foot to the floor with the same tow tune on the dp tuner and I struggle to get to 1300 degrees. Well the stock turbo is now toast and he's not scared to spend a few bucks on it. What should I buy for it? I didn't think I like my non waste gated housing but after swapping 4.10s in it I fell back in love with it towing. Fwiw I've tried a few chips/programmers superchips 1805 (didn't get hot but no power) old bullydog 6pos. Smoked a whole lot and got just as warm as this dp tuner with 2 different tow tunes on it. Dp def has the best drivability. Injectors in the truck are suppose to be stock.

So is a 38r the answer for this thing? If not would a new stocker with a ww2 cool it off? It makes 20psi of boost by 1800 I'd say then gets revved all the way to 26-2800 for hundreds of miles at a time?

I hope that makes sense, not much of a story teller..

Thanks Alex

Stroked383

Reaction score
Negative. All boost tubes were removed, inspected, cleaned, and reassembled. Cac looked ok (not overly greasy from where it would of been split if it was). Up pipes were Resealed and no soot has been coming back.

FYI stocker now has excessive shaft play and smoking like a freight train.

dsberman94

Reaction score
38r would be the non-rebuildable version. brute 66 would be the rebuildable version from no limit. brute 66 is actually a bit cheaper to PSA memebers but the 38r is bought for the cheapest from performance truck products. definitely need to either rebuild or get rid of that stocker with excessive shaft play. both options above are drop in turbos.

Stroked383

Reaction score
Where do I find more info on this brute66? Or what can you tell me about it? Rebuildable sounds good. He's in love with this truck seeing as he put 560k miles on it. After chasing his dads duramax and down hills going camping he's in for more power. He's satisfied with the dp tuner now for power just need to cool it down.

PABowhunter

Reaction score
Pm jason@nltd. He'll take good care of you. He'll tell you everything you need to know about their Brute 66.

300000 and counting

Reaction score
S366 my 38r has a hard time keeping my truck cool when towing a heavy load (7-8ton heavy) but then again I have 200/30 injectors but those are still small

PABowhunter

Reaction score
If you wanna do a t4 mount there's lots of options. Such as the S366 among others. But as far as drop ins go, NLTD has had the Brute 66 up to 600hp. Pretty hard to beat for a drop in turbo.

GreasyFingers

Reaction score
I just happened to call Beans today and they told me they no longer offer the D66 for the late 7.3's.

Stroked383

Reaction score
I don't think it'll need t4 having stock injectors. Drop in sounds more appealing. Anyone know how loud this brute is? The stocker with a ww1 was annoying as hell to be honest when it's making 20psi for 10 hours straight.

PSD POWER007

Reaction score
FYI, I have a stock turbo with a WW2 for sale if you decide to go that route. The wastegate has been adjusted to about 26lbs of preload and would make 30-31psi on my DP tow tune towing about 10k lbs in my excursion with 34's and 3.73 gears. No shaft play to boot! EGT's always stayed in check running the WW2. Usually see no more than about 38 lbs of back pressure. Stayed 1:1 for the most part back pressure wise.

dsberman94

Reaction score
I just happened to call Beans today and they told me they no longer offer the D66 for the late 7.3's.

D66 and Brute 66 are 2 different things.

the 38r whistle is loud. i think you would have to ask jason from NLTD what the brute sounds like. im not even sure how many people are running it yet. they have test results for it though. test prove good.

thuglike

Reaction score
As mentioned above the Brute is a rebuildable version of the 38r.

It comes with a Billet wheel. You can choose from a 1.0 or 1.15 housing.
It can be coated if you wish.

The 38r can be rebuilt for around 750.00 the Brute for 150.00.

The turbo goes for 1299.00 (with billet wheel)

Most places the 38r is 1400 + 250 for a Billet wheel

The noise is about half of the 38r..you can still hear it but it doesn't scream like the 38r.(if that's important to you)
As far as testing goes, we have run it on Jon's drag truck for a long time..it topped out at 596 hp making 55 lbs of boost. It has 50 or so track passes around 100 dyno pulls and is driven every day. We build each one and will stand behind it.

thuglike

Reaction score
FYI....we are not trying to put the 38r under. We like that turbo..it's great. We are only trying to bring an alternative for a little less coin for the drop in market.

For 1299.00 you get a complete drop in turbo that will do anythng the 38r can do and a little more with the security of knowing you can rebuild it without breaking the bank.

Stroked383

Reaction score
Can I use the ats housing (as I don't have a stock intake tube) or does it have a 4 inch inlet? How long do these take to ship?

dsberman94

Reaction score
Can I use the ats housing (as I don't have a stock intake tube) or does it have a 4 inch inlet? How long do these take to ship?

if you end up needing the stock intake tube for a late 99 and up shoot me a PM. ill ship you my old one for $10 paypaled to cover shipping.

PSD POWER007

Reaction score
As mentioned above the Brute is a rebuildable version of the 38r.

It comes with a Billet wheel. You can choose from a 1.0 or 1.15 housing.
It can be coated if you wish.

The 38r can be rebuilt for around 750.00 the Brute for 150.00.

The turbo goes for 1299.00 (with billet wheel)

Most places the 38r is 1400 + 250 for a Billet wheel

The noise is about half of the 38r..you can still hear it but it doesn't scream like the 38r.(if that's important to you)
As far as testing goes, we have run it on Jon's drag truck for a long time..it topped out at 596 hp making 55 lbs of boost. It has 50 or so track passes around 100 dyno pulls and is driven every day. We build each one and will stand behind it.
Is the Brute a ball bearing turbo??

Latest posts

Members online