Help me pic a turbo F450

AirFishAutomotive

Reaction score
I would figure out your egt issue first I had the Same truck gearing and all and even on swamps hot tune with a ww van turbo towing 12k it wouldn't get over 13-1400. And a tow tune it was perfect...

PSD POWER007

Reaction score
Before I adjusted my WG, my EGT's would get high. It was blowing open and I couldn't make more than 19-20psi. Once I put the preload on the spring, it would make 25psi and the temps dropped. I could open my gate with my hand before I adjusted the tension.

Stroked383

Reaction score
Hard to figure out the egt issue when the turbo sounds like a siren and smokes like freight train now. Like I said it makes the boost down low but then when turning 2600 rpms its outta breath. I put just a stock van turbo on his father in laws truck and that with the little 1805 screams. I did put a little more preload on the waste gate actuator but that didn't do much if anything.

PSD POWER007

Reaction score
Hard to figure out the egt issue when the turbo sounds like a siren and smokes like freight train now. Like I said it makes the boost down low but then when turning 2600 rpms its outta breath. I put just a stock van turbo on his father in laws truck and that with the little 1805 screams. I did put a little more preload on the waste gate actuator but that didn't do much if anything.

Have you guys replaced any of the intercooler tract boots? I noticed a 2psi boost difference when I replaced my oily stockers with Dieselsite boots. I think the two in the valley were leaking the most. I have no more oily sludge down there anymore. Just a thought.

thuglike

Reaction score
Can I use the ats housing (as I don't have a stock intake tube) or does it have a 4 inch inlet? How long do these take to ship?

No...BUT....You just order a Brute with our race cover(same price if you send us your ATS housing) and it will fit your current configuration no problem!!!

CGMKCM

Reaction score
O.P. I wonder if the valves are floating on your buddies truck? The exhaust back pressure has got to be much higher than boost pressure at >2700 rpms on the stock turbo.

My truck has same gears and weight. I tow 10k TT and stay at or below 65 MPH. The highest EGT I have seen was 1300* pulling a steep mountain grade on a 95* day in my 80t setting. Normally at freeway speeds I turn 2600 RPMs and run < 800* EGT. I run a H2e with WW2 and a Banks inter cooler also my exhaust is 3.5".

Stroked383

Reaction score
O the back pressure feels like it's through the roof when driving. Feels like its trying to blow the exhaust through a McDonalds straw. After the added power of the dp over the 1805 you'd swear he's Ricky bobby. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks Alex.

PSD POWER007

Reaction score
Man, with the WW2 on my stock turbo, I never saw back pressure over 38-40psi at 31psi of boost. It usuall stayed close to a 1:1 ratio. I'm very curious about tenants causing such back pressure. Even with the original WW did I ever see back pressure over about 40-45 psi at 27-28 psi on DP tuning when towing. And it usually stayed in the high 30's at that boost.
Something is definitely off!

gwunter

Reaction score
Any chance he is having injector issues? You said the truck had 5xxk miles on it. When were the injectors looked at last.?

Stroked383

Reaction score
Maybe 75k on injectors. Truck starts and runs fine cold. Runs ok with the programmer. Just gets hot with anything that fuels harder. We'll see what a turbo and make sure the up pipes are clean does to it.

PABowhunter

Reaction score
Maybe 75k on injectors. Truck starts and runs fine cold. Runs ok with the programmer. Just gets hot with anything that fuels harder. We'll see what a turbo and make sure the up pipes are clean does to it.

Have you decided on a turbo?

PSD POWER007

Reaction score

Pre turbo and boost leaks will greatly contribute to high EGT's.

KBMKVIII

Reaction score
Or rebuild the broken stocker?
I would not be taking the truck out of the garage with excessive turbo shaft play.
Let alone driving it like a madman with that weight.
Fix whats broke and go from there.

Stroked383

Reaction score
It'd be the 2nd try on rebuilding. Took it apart and the shaft play is ok but it's intermittently smoking. I took a early 99 turbo and used everything but the intake housing because the last one ate a groove where the oil control ring sits. And he sent me a video of it smoking agin and then said it stopped. Waiting for the $$$ situation before pulling the trigger on anything at the moment.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Latest posts

Members online