How to color match grille?

Seand717

Reaction score
I've got a silver lariat and already have the silver bumpers but want the grille color matched. I've talked to a few body shops and they say even sanding on the chrome grille paint won't hold onto it. I don't feel like dropping all the money on a paintable one of mine will work with some sanding or blasting. What have yall done?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    972.4 KB · Views: 184

Radioflyer

Reaction score
I've read this, but haven't tried it yet; on chrome plated plastic pieces you can use oven cleaner to strip the chrome off. There was a video of a guy floating around on you tube that I found one day who used it to strip the chrome in his headlight assembly doing a projector retrofit. Basically sprayed it, and it sanded off. Then he primed and prepped the housing for paint. While this may be different on headlight assemblies, a buddy is going to attempt it on a spare grille he has for his 6.4. Again, this would be at your own risk since i've only seen it done that one time on headlights. Here's a video of a guy doing it to RC car wheels:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGkcyHIbRRw

Just a thought. I'm going to attempt PTM my chrome bumpers on my truck while it's still warm out. If all else fails, i'm comfortable with having them coated with bed liner.

Seand717

Reaction score
Yea I've heard of the oven cleaner . I've been trying to find a used grille to try it out on so if it looks horrible I still have my good one. I know somebody has done it. Seems like everybody is ptm now days

dsberman94

Reaction score
We tried it on my buddies truck but he didn't buy easy off brand oven cleaner specifically. It didn't seem to do much. Granted we didn't let it sit for a few hours, but the stuff all ran right off the parts anyway. Maybe when I get back from vacation I'll give it a shot with the 07 grille I want to put on my truck if there isn't a definitive answer yet.

Seand717

Reaction score
So get chrome off then put the bulldog stuff or or scuff the chrome and do it?

ftast350

Reaction score
I just did my rear bumper. Sanded with 60grit then adhesion promoter, self etching primer, hi-build primer then base coat and clear. I know this is on metal but I was thinking of trying the same process on my grille. I have also read bleach or brake fluid works, takes time but works.

PyroFighter

Reaction score
It will work without scuffing the chrome. I did this on a Nissan titan years ago. Looked like it was factory. Scuffing and etching primer is the best route. But isn't a requirement. That away if you don't like it you can always strip the paint and go back to the chrome.

ftast350

Reaction score
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434132984.051610.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1434132998.705813.jpg
First time using tapatalk so I hope this works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seand717

Reaction score
After yall get the part ready to paint and already primed are yall taking it somewhere to get painted? I want it color matched to my truck but don't know how to go about getting the paint for it

Radioflyer

Reaction score
After yall get the part ready to paint and already primed are yall taking it somewhere to get painted? I want it color matched to my truck but don't know how to go about getting the paint for it

We have a few paint houses here that you take your paint code to and they'll mix up a quart and either sell it as a quart for a gun or in rattle cans. I did this with some interior trim pieces and it worked out great.

TyCorr

Reaction score
If you went to a bodyshop and they didnt know about adhesion promoter. Leave.

I would just paint it. Adhesion promoter, primer, and paint.

ftast350

Reaction score
If you don't mind, could you go into detail the steps you took to do this? I'd greatly appreciate it. :D

Sanded with a dual action sander and 60 grit
Wax and grease remover
Adhesion promoter
Self etching primer x2 coats
High build primer x2 min coats
Sanded with 600 grit
Prime again if you go through
3x base coat
3x clear (min, I should have done 4)
Polish (I have yet to do)

I used all NAPA products and a custom mixed color through them aswell

Seand717

Reaction score
I want to do the whole grille and not just the surround or I'd go that route.

zporta

Reaction score
The wrap seems like a good idea, the problem would be finding an exact vinyl match

sno-x139

Reaction score
I wrapped mine with vinyl. Definitely hard to do but held good.
9336c43dc7f7243ea16909368ffe5e27.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That looks great was it on an Oxford white truck? If so what was th exact color of the vinyl called? Looked at going th wrap route but haven't been able to find the perfect match.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.