How to color match grille?

ftast350

Reaction score
I looked into stripping it and it would have cost the same as buying a new grille and set of bumpers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seand717

Reaction score
Where do yall get the color matched paint from? My truck is ingot silver and want to paint it but don't know where to get paint. Do yall get rattle can or a quart and use a gun?

ftast350

Reaction score
I got mine through Napa and they have it mixed locally in Edmonton.

Seand717

Reaction score
Cool. I read Napa on another post. I may call them tomorrow and see if they can get me some. Did you use rattle can or quart in a spray gun

ftast350

Reaction score
Mine was all rattle can and its really hard to tell the difference!!

ftast350

Reaction score
No problem! Take your time and it's all about prep!

StrokinDuty

Reaction score
I got my grill surround matched on my truck at a very reputable paint/body shop here in Louisiana by a friend who is the paint shop manager and personally sprayed it himself. He told me before hand that the material used in the surround combined with the heat of the engine would almost guarantee that it would flake. Sure enough he was right, I'm having flaking close to the gap for the radiator where most of the heat excapes idling. The materials flex and contract heating/cooling in the grill which makes it hard to hold. My .02 from experience

ftast350

Reaction score
Never thought of the heat. How come painted grilles don't flake? Just cuz of the chrome coating?

Seand717

Reaction score
Do you know what kind of prep was done to your grill before the paint? One shop I talked to told me prep would only cost me $25. To me that doesn't sound like much prep at all

ftast350

Reaction score
Oh and I meant the stock painted ones.

Check back to the list I made for the prep and paint steps.
Sanding, adhesion promo, self etching primer, high build primer and then base coat.

StrokinDuty

Reaction score
Do you know what kind of prep was done to your grill before the paint? One shop I talked to told me prep would only cost me $25. To me that doesn't sound like much prep at all

I could ask my guy exactly what they did and post it back on here, but like I said he told me it would flake and it did. He sprayed my fender flares and grill surround at the same time, the flares get hit with rocks etc. and still look perfect but the grill is peeling. Kinda like the stock turbo, it's not if it's when.

Rodslinger

Reaction score
The best way to paint over chrome is to give it a light sand blast , epoxy primer then color coats. Adhesion promotors will work well too on CLEAN and PROPERLY prepped chrome. I would not use self etching over and adhesion promotor. To many single component sub straits will cause it to chip easier. Epoxy or even a 2k urethane primer/sealer would be all you need before color coats when using the promotors.
As for heat effecting the paint on the grille. I call Bullchit. It will not be effected IF it's prepped right.
67b9d7dc4bd08f456f4830bc9dd59970.jpg

This is a 14 grille shell that was chrome. Hell...even the center section is tinted and cleared over with just a promotor. No issues and it's got over 20k for miles out here In the desert and it's seen some HOT azz temps too.

Reaction score
I guess I've got a question. I haven't pulled my grill off nor looked at just an outer shell piece so I'm curious if I buy just outer shell, will it attach directly in place of my existing grill? I want to make a wire mesh grill using just an outer shell and paint to match.

BK39

Reaction score
I guess I've got a question. I haven't pulled my grill off nor looked at just an outer shell piece so I'm curious if I buy just outer shell, will it attach directly in place of my existing grill? I want to make a wire mesh grill using just an outer shell and paint to match.

The XL grills are 1 big pc. I had to cut and modify mine to make a mesh insert fit. It took some southern engineering.

Radioflyer

Reaction score

Not to derail or anything OP,

Dallas have you looked into Paramount grilles? Cheap and super easy to PTM the outer shell. I picked mine up almost 2 years ago and painted the outter last fall with zero issues so far. http://www.paramountrestyling.com/p/s.aspx?id=8314

Seand717

Reaction score
The best way to paint over chrome is to give it a light sand blast , epoxy primer then color coats. Adhesion promotors will work well too on CLEAN and PROPERLY prepped chrome. I would not use self etching over and adhesion promotor. To many single component sub straits will cause it to chip easier. Epoxy or even a 2k urethane primer/sealer would be all you need before color coats when using the promotors.
As for heat effecting the paint on the grille. I call Bullchit. It will not be effected IF it's prepped right.
67b9d7dc4bd08f456f4830bc9dd59970.jpg

This is a 14 grille shell that was chrome. Hell...even the center section is tinted and cleared over with just a promotor. No issues and it's got over 20k for miles out here In the desert and it's seen some HOT azz temps too.

So you say sand blast, epoxy primer then paint or add a adhesion promotors to it also?

Rodslinger

Reaction score
Sand blast or glass bead lightly. Not to brake thru the electroplating but enough to lose the shine, epoxy primer, 2k sealer then color coat.
You only need adhesion promotors if you are not giving the surface a mechanical adhesion to bite into.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.