How to color match grille?

johnp115

Reaction score
That looks great was it on an Oxford white truck? If so what was th exact color of the vinyl called? Looked at going th wrap route but haven't been able to find the perfect match.

Thanks!

The wrap seems like a good idea, the problem would be finding an exact vinyl match

Yeah that's the problem, my friend owns a wrap shop so I have access to any color I want lol. We compared like 3 whites and this is the one that was closest. So if you can find someone or a shop near you that has one of the books with all the colors like they do for paint, then picking out the closest white may be harder.

Seand717

Reaction score
I think I'm going to attempt to sand my grille down and prep it then take it somewhere to get painted

Radioflyer

Reaction score
Sanded with a dual action sander and 60 grit
Wax and grease remover
Adhesion promoter
Self etching primer x2 coats
High build primer x2 min coats
Sanded with 600 grit
Prime again if you go through
3x base coat
3x clear (min, I should have done 4)
Polish (I have yet to do)

I used all NAPA products and a custom mixed color through them aswell

Thank's ftast350!

ftast350

Reaction score
Thank's ftast350!

Yah no problem I have a few other pictures as well but tapatalk was too frustrating to figure out.
the bumper is damn near an exact match just requires some buffing of the clear coat yet which I will do once I have done my grille and front bumper.

Rule12b

Reaction score
Does anyone have a picture of a tuxedo black truck with just the surround painted? Seeing that ebay part has me thinking it might look sharp paint matched on mine. . .

Attachments

• IMG_3466.jpg
    IMG_3466.jpg
    983 KB · Views: 101
Reaction score
Has anyone painted the textured finish that the OEM XL trucks have on the grill? I tried to get mine done and the shop said you can't paint the textured plastic.

TyCorr

Reaction score
You can. They don't want to.

You can either clean it good and put adhesion promoter on it and then primer before paint or you could smooth it a bit hit it with a final coat of primer and paint.

BK39

Reaction score
Has anyone painted the textured finish that the OEM XL trucks have on the grill? I tried to get mine done and the shop said you can't paint the textured plastic.

Yes, I did this on my work truck, I used the bulldog adhesive promoter, then primer, then sanded it. Repeated those steps 3 times, got it pretty smooth, then hit it with the paint. Turned out pretty good for me not knowing anything about paint.

Attachments

• 13 F250.jpg
    13 F250.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 92
Reaction score
I figured so. I have painted a ton of stuff similar and just sanded it down before painting. Lazy generation of painters these days.

dsberman94

Reaction score
They can't guarantee it, so they won't do it is what I was told by the shop I use. And they deal with high end stuff. But I've seen them take a hit because they made a mistake.

01pwrstkr

Reaction score
Yes, I did this on my work truck, I used the bulldog adhesive promoter, then primer, then sanded it. Repeated those steps 3 times, got it pretty smooth, then hit it with the paint. Turned out pretty good for me not knowing anything about paint.
That looks awesome!

Lipka101

Reaction score
I spent lots of time with a razor blade and a pressure washer to strip the chrome off. Sanded, primed, painted and clear coated and it's held up for over a year now. I tried to scuff the chrome and primer it first but it didnt hold for more than a month.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

TyCorr

Reaction score
They can't guarantee it, so they won't do it is what I was told by the shop I use. And they deal with high end stuff. But I've seen them take a hit because they made a mistake.
If the prep is good, thats a bunch of bs.

Im not a body man and I ran a at home painted 99-04 grille for 5 years. Chrome. Never sanded. Cleaned. Adhrsion promoter. Primer. Paint. Clear. Done. Never even got sanded.

If you cant guarantee work you really have no business being in business. Or tell people you dont know how to do it. Too many "you cants" out there.

ftast350

Reaction score
e1d5521b7d4f6fe5d4c89c058cb43961.jpg
238ff10bcbc03179ef2ddbc2ec7a708d.jpg

Just got started on my grille today! Looks pretty cool scuffed up with 60 grit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ftast350

Reaction score
Kinda figured out tapatalk, here are some more of my bumper and yes my tailgate is a little pootched
8bbbde0cf0967a36c8282f18b7664b03.jpg
308c9d6594b78edd6e9e36f08b30dcfe.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BK39

Reaction score

As long as the guy tells me that upfront, I'm not disappointed if it fails. My painter did that with my emblems on my Platinum. Told me straight up, "there is a 50/50 shot of it sticking/flaking off down the road". I just told him to do it anyways, I Have faith.

That looks awesome!

Thanks. At first I was nervous about it, but I'm glad I did it. That stock plastic grill that came on it was killing me.

Crow6.7

Reaction score
Go to a chrome shop they have the proper chemicals to strip the chrome off the right way

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.