Idi turbo vs. Psd

MAC

Reaction score

28254694.jpg

Big Bore

Reaction score
Speaking of working 5 jobs to support the cost...

That's what you don't do with a 7.3 in a real working environment, however, the non "outdated pos" engines that came after the 7.3 sure do seem to take a lot of money just to stay on the road at their stock power level.

As I've said before, the proof is in the pudding. You've got a 16,000lb backhoe sitting on a goosneck trailer and three trucks to the side of it. A 7.3 powerstroke, a 6.0L powerstroke and a 6.4L powerstroke.

A man holding a gun to your head tells you he will ride with you from coast to coast and if the truck stops for any reason other than fuel he will blow your brains across the cab.

Which truck do you pick smart ass? If you pick anything other than the 7.3... you're simply a moron.

Yep, many many times over 10,000ft+ passes with the same or similar loads. Prior to the 7.3 PS you never saw this, and after the 7.3 was replaced you stopped seeing it. I know several larger companies that wouldn't use their 6.0's for heavy towing but used their older 7.3's instead, and on dads farm we would use the 460 truck for heavier loads going on the hiway over the IDI.

http://powerstrokearmy.com/photopost/data/500/realtruck2.jpg

This load is heavier than you think and went over a 11,000ft pass.

http://powerstrokearmy.com/photopost/data/500/medium/photo_25_.JPG

Reaction score
For most people working a truck, downtime is a big time problem. Repeated downtime is simply unacceptable.

Repeated downtime has become commonplace post 7.3 powerstroke.

Seriously.

As much as I like the 6.4 for the power capabilities, this is very true. We have a bunch of 6.0 and 6.4 bucket trucks here at work. Obviously being bucket trucks they are running almost all day and spend a lot of time idling. We constantly have trucks in the shop between VGTs, DPFs, transmissions, radiators, head gaskets, EGR coolers, oil coolers, etc. It's insane.

We still have quite a few 7.3 Powerstrokes and IDIs out there that have been and still are much more reliable. Obviously being in stock form, they don't run as well, especially the IDIs, and aren't as comfortable, but they get the job done, every day, all day, and don't give us fits.

Charles

Reaction score
Cause a 7.3 don't give a ****...... LOL

Pretty much.

Bad fuel, dirty fuel, water in fuel, old oil, foamy oil, no oil, hitting poppet valves so on and so forth.

9 times out of 10 with EXTREME lack of maintenance the 7.3 will either just drive right on down the road like nothing's wrong, or at the very least limp along for weeks or months at a time until you can pull it in and fix the problem. It's much more likely that they will bring the load home rather than lay over on the side of the road.

Just last week one of our guys was giving me all kinds of hell about his truck losing power. With the truck being a couple hours away from me I was giving him the general rundown on checking fuel flow and such. He called me a few days later because it had eventually gotten down to the point where it would only idle and just barely pull around after weeks of getting worse and worse.

After verifying fuel flow and about two seconds of cranking it was obvious it wasn't making any ICP. The IPR was plugged in, nut securely on the IPR and with the ICP sensor unplugged still nothing.

I had already asked him before we even started if it had plenty of oil. At this point I told him to check the oil, and after a lot of bullsh*t about how he had already checked it he pulled the stick just to show me... and there was nothing on it.

After a little over 3 GALLONS of oil went in, it was back on the stick, lol. Fired right up and ran like a top. I told him he might as well toss a new filter on it now cause he was on brand new oil.

Point being.... it just kept on, and kept on, then when things were totally unmanageable, it saved itself before bearing annihilation and shut itself off.

That's not an outlier when it comes to the 7.3. Things like that when it comes to coping with extreme lack of maintenance are not the exception, they are the norm.

It doesn't make crazy power in stock form, but it can be turned up to the power of a stock 6.0 or 6.4 VERY easily, and at that power level will be far more likely to provide excellent service day in and day out, truck after truck. The others are very hit and miss. And when they miss, they seem to miss pretty hard. Like, new longblock kind of hard.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Pretty much.

Bad fuel, dirty fuel, water in fuel, old oil, foamy oil, no oil, hitting poppet valves so on and so forth.

9 times out of 10 with EXTREME lack of maintenance the 7.3 will either just drive right on down the road like nothing's wrong, or at the very least limp along for weeks or months at a time until you can pull it in and fix the problem. It's much more likely that they will bring the load home rather than lay over on the side of the road.

Just last week one of our guys was giving me all kinds of hell about his truck losing power. With the truck being a couple hours away from me I was giving him the general rundown on checking fuel flow and such. He called me a few days later because it had eventually gotten down to the point where it would only idle and just barely pull around after weeks of getting worse and worse.

After verifying fuel flow and about two seconds of cranking it was obvious it wasn't making any ICP. The IPR was plugged in, nut securely on the IPR and with the ICP sensor unplugged still nothing.

I had already asked him before we even started if it had plenty of oil. At this point I told him to check the oil, and after a lot of bullsh*t about how he had already checked it he pulled the stick just to show me... and there was nothing on it.

After a little over 3 GALLONS of oil went in, it was back on the stick, lol. Fired right up and ran like a top. I told him he might as well toss a new filter on it now cause he was on brand new oil.

Point being.... it just kept on, and kept on, then when things were totally unmanageable, it saved itself before bearing annihilation and shut itself off.

That's not an outlier when it comes to the 7.3. Things like that when it comes to coping with extreme lack of maintenance are not the exception, they are the norm.

It doesn't make crazy power in stock form, but it can be turned up to the power of a stock 6.0 or 6.4 VERY easily, and at that power level will be far more likely to provide excellent service day in and day out, truck after truck. The others are very hit and miss. And when they miss, they seem to miss pretty hard. Like, new longblock kind of hard.

I can vouch for this. I was having issues with an oil leak that turned out to be hpo. I would add a gallon every 1k miles. I let it go too long and upon startup it idled but after going down the road it spit, sputtered, and then shut off. I added 6 qts and started it, drove on. No big deal.
In stock form, power aside, a 7-3 will go on and on and on....No fuss

JoeDaddy

Reaction score
Well I'm the guy who started this thread so I appreciate the explanation of the differences. But all this oh my 6.4 pos with a tuner is so much better. Are we all forgetting that after the problems with the 6.0 and 6.4 that ford and international fell out cause they cost so much just to drive to your local walmart and get smoked by a 16 year old in his beat up 12 valve cummins farm truck on the way. All the while praying it would start when you came back out. My obs (apparently far inferior to all you badass' trucks) is pretty decent, it pulls ok and gets ok fuel mileage and parts are cheap and easy to come by so i like it and its loud cackle. So enjoy your tuned, starts if it feels like it $600.00 truck payment and ill just drive my paid for pos. So at least when that 16 year old in his cummins beats me i can tell myself its paid for and i just like it!

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Don't take it personal that this has turned into a IH family feud over "which is crap, which is best".
-----------------
My take In a nut shell.

83-94 Great old iron to build a driver/light tow cheap rig thats easily maintained and will deliver 20+ mpg box stock in proper tune.

Late 94-97 excellent hard working OBS with double the power ability of it's predecessor and you can literally drive it til the wheels fall off.

99-2003 same engine, more power stock, bigger heavier and much more urban, tough as nails full-filling it's name sake Super Duty.

Late 2003-2008 Same body better emissions for the first 30k. Makes an excellent Cummins swap candidate.

Late 2008-2010 Better interior ability to push far beyond 1000 rwhp longevity is still being tallied.

2011-now Yet to be seen.
------------

Last edited:

Big Bore

Reaction score
Nice accurate synopsis JoeDaddy.

Just to clarify, Ford and International fell out over the 6.0. They were then forced by the courts to take the 6.4 under the terms of their contract with International. Had International never made the 6.0 and furnished Ford with a properly R&D'd 6.4 instead, I doubt Ford and International would have parted ways. Other than the DPF/emissions equip on the 6.4, I really haven't heard much bad about that motor.

In my opinion, the later Super Duty with 7.3 and D60 is about the best combo Ford built for a powerful and durable work truck with modern styling and comforts (I still think the OBS CC SRW 4x4 is the best looking). If I ever go back to doing a lot of towing it will be with a 7.3 SD/ZF6 combo with an intake, exhaust and a couple tunes from Curtis.

usramc

Reaction score
Lol! I like that perfect cummins swap comment! And thanks for clearing up the ford/international fall out. Up until about 8 months ago i was a cummins owner so im a little foggy on it. I chose the obs 7.3 cause i like the body, the 7.3 is tough and for very cheap i could swap over stuff from wrecked and junked sd 7.3's and have a pretty tough truck.

Big Bore

Reaction score
Lol! I like that perfect cummins swap comment! And thanks for clearing up the ford/international fall out. Up until about 8 months ago i was a cummins owner so im a little foggy on it. I chose the obs 7.3 cause i like the body, the 7.3 is tough and for very cheap i could swap over stuff from wrecked and junked sd 7.3's and have a pretty tough truck.

Budget OBS DD/tow formula: Early 99 intake spider, IC and pipes. 1.00 exhaust housing. Tymar intake. 3" DP to 4" open exhaust. Stage I injectors. 17* SD HPOP. Swamps, PHP, Tony wildman tunes. Reliable 325-350+ HP DD/heavy tow that will last 100's of thousands of miles. The OBS turbo is nearly bombproof and will hold that HP level and run cool with the IC doing it.

usramc

Reaction score
Budget OBS DD/tow formula: Early 99 intake spider, IC and pipes. 1.00 exhaust housing. Tymar intake. 3" DP to 4" open exhaust. Stage I injectors. 17* SD HPOP. Swamps, PHP, Tony wildman tunes. Reliable 325-350+ HP DD/heavy tow that will last 100's of thousands of miles. The OBS turbo is nearly bombproof and will hold that HP level and run cool with the IC doing it.

Yeah mine was bone stock when i got it, i put 17* hpop, ad code injectors, 3" dp to 4" straight pipe, 400hp velair clutch, new uvch's, nearly all sensors replaced, ts 6 pos chip with canned tunes, new fuel pump, fuel bowl rebuilt, probly forgetting stuff but i believe i wanna do intercooler and 1.0 housing next. Then maybe have my old aa's made into stage 2's and do sd efuel set up.

Big Bore

Reaction score
The OBS has a regulated return. The SD is a dead head. That's why there are several regulated return kits on the market for the SD. If you want to upgrade your fuel system to a SD electric pump, you may as well just build a fuel system with better fuel lines than the tiny copper lines you have now, there are several ways to do it and several threads in the 7.3 performance forum, and as I mentioned several kits on the market. Most involve a pre and post filter mounted under the truck deleting the bowl on the engine.

usramc

Reaction score
It ran pretty strong yesterday against my buddies 24 valve, so i may be happy for a while.lol.

TyCorr

Reaction score
It ran pretty strong yesterday against my buddies 24 valve, so i may be happy for a while.lol.

So does my lawnmower. I would set the bar a little.higher. Look to make a.smidge more than a stock, new truck makes.

I did a 38r, New international hpop, and stg II injectors(80&100% nozzles) and decided for the amount of money invested, it was NOT enough. I could have gotten more power out of the setup but found the sweet spot just above 400rwhp.

Next step, full fuel system ,srp1.1, and 275/200s looking for 450ish with just the 38r. Then this winter I'll get a trans built and add springs,studs and maybe pushrods. Hopefully this time next year I'll be compounded and making 5+.

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
So does my lawnmower. I would set the bar a little.higher. Look to make a.smidge more than a stock, new truck makes.

I did a 38r, New international hpop, and stg II injectors(80&100% nozzles) and decided for the amount of money invested, it was NOT enough. I could have gotten more power out of the setup but found the sweet spot just above 400rwhp.

Next step, full fuel system ,srp1.1, and 275/200s looking for 450ish with just the 38r. Then this winter I'll get a trans built and add springs,studs and maybe pushrods. Hopefully this time next year I'll be compounded and making 5+.

Are you planning on shooting for a bit over 5 with the 38r?

Latest posts

Members online