locker or true trac?

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
It will fight you on a hard surface in 4WD with the hubs locked and you have no way to stop the fight unless you unlock the hubs again. Very bad for on road driving in bad weather like snow or ice.

No kidding? I was told they work just like a limited slip posi... they both grab but will slip when needed while turning....

Karls03

Reaction score
Selectable lockers are popular up front with hardcore wheelers because you can unlock, turn to maneuver an obstacle, the re-engage. It doesn't take much to lock up a locker a Lock-Right, and even some LS posis in the front. Sometimes that "bump" to the throttle will be enough to lock it, that left turn just became straight and you stuff that tree limb through your headlight.

07_powerstroke

Reaction score
I believe my truck has a open diff in the rear do all superdutys have a ls in the front or do they come with a open diff? Also how do I tell what my truck has in it can't you tell by the vin number?

powerstroker67

Reaction score
All superdutys are open front, the rear can be LS which can be checked by running the vin, the axle code on the door/vin sticker or if the axle still has the tag on it an "L" will appear in the ratio ie: 3L73.

91turbogsx

Reaction score
I think that I am the only poster here that HATES his True Trac! Turn left, nail it: donuts. Turn right, nail it: ONE TIRE FIRE. At it gets better, hot dogging around a left from a standing start, sling the rear end out (WOO HOO POSI!), when it comes back the other way, I'm still on the loud pedal, the P.O.S. UNLOCKS, the trans down shifts, one tire fire, and I found the rev limiter before I could figure out what happpened. ANother night, took a sweeping right about 20~25, thought I could hit the loud pedal and accelerate out of the turn, WRONG! One tire fire! Do a two footed burnout, starts as two, then goes to one.

But I don't always drive my Souper Doody like my 1967 Mustang, I was playin off road one day and found out that in 4HI I had to give the E-brake a few clicks to put enough pressure on it to lock up.

I f'in HATE my True Trac. I bought it new at Summit, it was shop installed and I really think it sucks for the money I spent on it. I've seen Trac-Locks that stay locked up more than this thing does. I really wish I would have ponied up the other $200 for a Detroit Locker that day at Summit Racing.
Seems like yours is acting like my stock LS did. Are you sure they put in the TrueTrac?

Snake

Reaction score
Seems like yours is acting like my stock LS did. Are you sure they put in the TrueTrac?

I was thinking the same thing. I'd be curious to see what's actually in the pumpkin.

My $.02, for what its worth:

With an air locker / e-locker, you have an open diff when its not on. Not what I want, personally.

Detroit Locker is hard to beat for serious off roading, but the on road manners usually leave a lot to be desired: they can be noisy when they engage or disengage, often they don't unlock around turns and you end up with a chirping tire and a hopping truck, and the latter results in poor tire wear.

TruTrac definitely gets my vote for any truck on the street 75% or more of the time.

Karls03

Reaction score

I had a one leg and I saw that POS in there when I put on my cool guy finned aluminum diff cover. Well that and as soon as I left the shop I did my first gnarly two tire burn out! When it was a one leg it wouldn't turn both tires in a two footed burn out, nor would it slide sideways in a left turn on the throttle. It's better than nothing, but not by much.

07_powerstroke

Reaction score
I had a one leg and I saw that POS in there when I put on my cool guy finned aluminum diff cover. Well that and as soon as I left the shop I did my first gnarly two tire burn out! When it was a one leg it wouldn't turn both tires in a two footed burn out, nor would it slide sideways in a left turn on the throttle. It's better than nothing, but not by much.

Wow maybe I don't want a tru track I want it to spin both tires no matter what when i hit the gas!

Snake

Reaction score

Did you have an open diff before? So you saw it installed...can you tell the difference between a LS and TruTrac? I'm asking because what you're saying doesn't line up with my 100k miles of experience nor anything I've ever read or heard about. My TruTrac has never had one wheel peel. Ever. On 37's with 4.30's. Dry road, wet road, mud, sand, or dirt. Regardless if I was going straight or turning left or right. 2wd or 4wd. Wish you were closer so we could pop that cover and see what you have there.

Personally (and publicly), I think you don't have a TruTrac installed.

Last edited:

Karls03

Reaction score
Did you have an open diff before? So you saw it installed...can you tell the difference between a LS and TruTrac? I'm asking because what you're saying doesn't line up with my 100k miles of experience nor anything I've ever read or heard about. My TruTrac has never had one wheel peel. Ever. On 37's with 4.30's. Dry road, wet road, mud, sand, or dirt. Regardless if I was going straight or turning left or right. 2wd or 4wd. Wish you were closer so we could pop that cover and see what you have there.

Personally (and publicly), I think you don't have a TruTrac installed.

Quite honestly, I find your desire to "pop that diff cover" insulting. If you would have read post #54, you would have seen that I had already "popped that cover" when I put on my cool guy finned aluminum diff cover. I say this VERY publicly.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.