Mad turbo werks build::MAD TRUCK

madpowerstroke

Reaction score
I could go after those and I do like the input, but I what a scan with the IDS to tell me ECM is good before I cont. I did replace the ECM not long ago so that is another reason I'm going that route. Let you know monday night, when I find out what's going on after the IDS. I have read so things and have had someother guys tell me that the stock setting in the SCT is not good enough for a hard flash to get all the stuff working together.Thanks for the input

madpowerstroke

Reaction score
So here's what I have so far in the messed up build. I reflashed the PCM with the dealer IDS and seemed to help. The transmission I think is having a wiring harness issue, sometime works great and other times throws codes at me. Shut it down and start again and sometimes all is good or I get a different code. I got the truck ready for the Purdue dyno loaded a tune and was letting truck idle. When I went back to check on truck a big oil stop was under the engine. I shut the truck down and found the oil pressure sending switch blew the top off. I went to replace and the threads decided to come out with the sensor. So I found a new top section for the oil cooler cover and swapped it out, had to remove intake manifold to get at it. It was about 1:00 am when I was done and driving from Mississippi to Indiana. Got at the event just in time to sign in at number 40 spot and wait. So here's what happen, the truck had a slight miss, but I wanted to dyno anyway. I sat in truck as Chase Fleece ran the truck up, sounded good but I noticed that my fuel pressure was tanking, from 52 psi to 30 psi at half throttle, then at full throttle went to 17 psi. Boost was at 52-55 psi, but I was blowing huge black smoke. I most i could get was 545 rwhp, and we tried one more pull but adjusted the load, and pop the map sensor boost line blew apart. So that was it, I get the truck out in the parking lot and started to look things over, truck still missing, Might have a bad injector.

It was very disappointing and a very long day, the plan I have is to upgrade the fuel system since the system I have now isn't any good. I will be doing a sump, larger pick up tube, Airdog 150, plumbed to a Weldon 2032A high pressure fuel pump, to the regulated return and use a 3/8 braided lines. The fuel system should be good, for whatever I through at it, the Weldon pump flows 210 gallons per hour at 80 psi of pressure, and using the Airdog 150 as a lift pump for the Weldon.

For the injector problem I will be going from 205/150 which nozzles are way to big to 225/75 injectors. Why? I have a theory about nozzle sizes and VGT turbos, I really don't think that the nozzles need to be big, for the VGT to work the best. The VGT turbo have no problem lighting off so keeping fuel nozzles small should atomize the fuel better and keep the truck extremely clean. I know I was not a big fan of the 150% nozzles at all, and I will also be increasing the air flow of the stage 4 turbo, so that is why I will be going up in injector size.

As far as events I may not hit anymore until I get the truck live tuned so I know, all the bugs are worked out and have a solid number from the dyno, and then take it to the track. One more reason for the smaller nozzle size is that I want to max weight tow with the injectors and the stage 4 to see if I can do it. Thanks and will keep you all posted.

strokin6L

Reaction score
Man its one set back after another... sorry to hear about all that Adrian. I'm sure you'll get everything worked out.

g2shuck

Reaction score
you can empty a 225 though a 75 no problem. My 350s completely empty with 100 nozzles

g2shuck

Reaction score
Ill have to ask my three tuners what they have them set at. The flowed 349cc on the flow bench also at 4000psi so....

TooMuch03

Reaction score
What was the flow bench set at for pw to get the 349cc out of it? Anything over about 2.5-2.6 is not really representative.

Purdue_stroker

Reaction score
Ill have to ask my three tuners what they have them set at. The flowed 349cc on the flow bench also at 4000psi so....

Yeah, but if you have to have a really long pulse width to get it done all you would be doing is creating more heat and smoke. When you could have a bigger nozzle (not to big of corse) shorten the pulse width and have a cooler, cleaner, more fuel efficient tune

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

g2shuck

Reaction score
well there are custo parts in my injectors that allow them to flow more oil on the oil side to get the high flow rate... PM me for more info

madpowerstroke

Reaction score
All I really know is that the 150 nozzles were way to big. I should do 100% nozzles but I want to try something to see if it works. Big fuel and nozzles have worked for non VGT and there has been a lot of combos tried. The large VGT turbos that I build are completely different then the ones that were offered in the past, I use a much bigger turbine wheel with a different unison ring than in the stock or powermax turbos for the powerstroke. It's all new to try to get the right combo of turbo and injectors, what I have seen the turbos can make a lot of power with little fuel, so that's the reason behind the injector choice.

SSpeeDEMONSS

Reaction score
well there are custo parts in my injectors that allow them to flow more oil on the oil side to get the high flow rate... PM me for more info

I'm pretty sure the oil side has nothing to do with the nozzle being able to flow a certain amount of fuel in a given PW.

Garrett

probably getting paid at work to post this from my bionic

madpowerstroke

Reaction score
Been a while since I have posted anything and the truck. So here's what I have going on so far. I have ditched the 205/150, and now have some 225/75 in the truck. I have to build the fuel system for it next. I took the truck out for a little run to see how it ran, so far I like it needs tuned but smokes less. I wanted to see what the ICP would read since I'm running the adrenaline diesel site pump. At full throttle the ICP dropped to 3.4v so I need to add a pump, and have that in the works. Fuel pressure dropped from 52psi to 20psi which was no surprise, but here is what I plan on doing.

I plan on installing the fuel system in the truck, I will be installing the new 6.4 intake manifold on the truck I just finished. I will be taking the stage 4 off the truck and it's going to James and Shawn, so they can have a stage 4 while I take the one James had apart to check it out. My truck will be getting the new stage 3 with the newest mod that I developed to see how it does. I'm not talking about the compressor wheel, it's something else I have been working on. Should flow more air then the stage 4, until I get the new stage 4 wheel in. So anyway, I have come to the reality that I just don't have the time to work on my truck, build turbos and my full tome job. I have asked for some help from someone, and they have agreed, I have a family function to go to at Pittsburgh ,P.A. so I will be driving the truck up there and dropping off at Jesse's shop. I'm going to get Jesse's dual HPOP kit installed, the DPC stall converter will be removed and sent out for Phil to change it from the 2000 stall to 1600 and put back in. Might see if Andy has anytime to go through the trans and maybe upgrade a little. I will have Jesse tune the truck and shake any bugs out of it for me. I will then fly back in to pick up the truck and start to hit events. Just don't have the time anymore and want to show what this truck is capable of, I believe with Jesse and his shop, I can finally get it done.

Bubba88

Reaction score
Sounds like a good idea Adrian! I'm curious how she'll do with the 225/75's and the new Stage 3. Are you planning on making it out to Bill's in June?

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
The adrenaline can handle the injectors. Was the tuning modified for the new pump! The higher volume output needs ipr duty cycle adjusted

Latest posts

Members online