My 64/71/.70 with warren 210's

Status
Not open for further replies.

MorganY

Reaction score
Hey guys! This weekend I have been working on dialing in my setup, well I finally got it dialed in. I want to thank Matt @ Cutting Edge, Matt @ gearhead, Jess Warren, and Mike @ KEM for helping me out, these guys are fantastic to deal with, I would do business with them again!

I got the unit in Friday morning around 1am after some injector issues, after that I had to tweak the intake and intercooler boots a bit to get everything just right. Some modifications I had to do: extending the CCV line that goes into the valve cover, cutting off the 3.5" down pipe flange and welding the 3" flange, and also I had to bend the oil feed line just a bit to get it to line up since this turbo is not as tall. We took it for a test drive and then :toast: This is my first 'report' so go easy on me a bit

This morning, Matt and I met up and did some live tuning, WOW! I never knew this truck could run like it does now, consistent power through the RPM band, and the best part is his shifting..way solid. I got the turbo from Matt @ CED and warren upgraded the nozzles to 100% and up'd them to 210cc's, and got a FICM tune from KEM.

I like the non VGT over the VGT after trying them both. The exhaust note has a nice rumble to it at lower rpm's. Spool up is hardly an issue and starts to lite around 1500-1600 rpms, and boost builds up quick after that, you can really tell how much more air this unit flows than the powermax.

Fuel pressure never dropped below the set 55psi on all of the following runs with and AD2 set at 58psi, and the regulated return set at 55psi.

1/4 throttle from 0-70
EGT max: 8-900
boost max: 17psi

1/2 throttle from 0-70
EGT max: 11xx
boost max: 32 psi

WOT from 0-..I wasn't looking (90 was around when I stopped?)
EGT: hits 1700 then comes down 250 degrees once in overdrive around 70mph (was hitting 1800 before he pulled fuel out of it)
boost max: 46psi

These are the numbers that I picked up from Matt and I's tuning session this morning. Matt tweaked shifting just right after some surging shifting into overdrive, he got it just right after some tweaking and it cleans up nicely (at 1/2 throttle) On my street tune, Matt pulled out some fuel bc temps were getting pretty toasty, and increased timing bc of the FICM tune.

As for street ability, this setup is street able. When driving around town temps are 600 degrees and it is clean out the pipe, hardly any lag at takeoff, and boost comes on quickly with the .70 housing. After matt's tuning, it doesn't go into overdrive until 60-61mph to keep the turbo lit and keeping me from smoking out the highway when the converter is locked.

60mph: EGT 750, boost 0-2psi

65mph: EGT 750 boost avg'd 2-3psi

70mph: EGT 800 boost 4 psi

75mph EGT 850-900 boost 5psi

you can lay into the pedal with quick boost and with a puff of smoke at those speeds, tuning really helped control the smoke issue, which I was concerned with. its a very nice turbo for daily driving, and unloaded highway driving. I never saw EGTs get above 1150 when passing someone unless the converter unlocked and I was >1/2 throttle.

As for the FICM tune, it increased throttle response ALOT, it almost feels like a 6.4, I feel like the truck wants to take off as soon as I touch the pedal. I am happy with the $ I spent on it.

I will have ICP voltage and back pressure numbers this week via Auto Enginuity.

As for dyno numbers... I should have numbers saturday from the same dyno I made 480/905, and 530/980 on my 190/75 pmax setup. (Power Stroke Magic, Superflow dyno)

I threw in some photos..just for grins because I like to keep photos of this kind of stuff.
Parts: RCD s300 pedestal and t3 vband adapter
3" vband flange for downpipe (3" outlet on the bullseye turbo)
s364/71/.70
210cc's/100% nozzle injectors
Reflowed FICM half shell
KEM FICM tune

Image.jpg

photo-1.jpg

bcbea0b2.jpg

8a113def.jpg

46b2172c.jpg

ebe99085.jpg

01PSD

Reaction score
I'm going to ask this purely for my learning purposes, but are 210/100s really suitable for a 64mm single? If you were to empty all the fuel those injectors have to offer, there's no way that 64 could clean it up right? Can't wait to see some vids of it running and see what it makes on the dyno.

One more question, do you plan on upgrading to compounds in the future? If so I can see the reason for going with 210s

MorganY

Reaction score
I'm going to ask this purely for my learning purposes, but are 210/100s really suitable for a 64mm single? If you were to empty all the fuel those injectors have to offer, there's no way that 64 could clean it up right? Can't wait to see some vids of it running and see what it makes on the dyno.

One more question, do you plan on upgrading to compounds in the future? If so I can see the reason for going with 210s

yes compounds are in the future. If I decide to go with a race build, Ill go with 285/100s (hybrids of course). Matt at CED is going to be building my compounds, and I could not wait until June to upgrade my turbo setup, so we decided on this turbo to be the high pressure (granted we can swap housings if need be). as for the extra 5cc's... instead of a 205..I wanted an extra bit of fuel to spray with when I head to the track. I have been limited by fuel before and knowing my addiction, I feel it is easier to up the air than fuel. IMO

as for suitable..it IS street able

Cutting-Edge Diesel

Reaction score
Sounds great man! I can't wait for matt to live tune mine. I think I could gain a lot from it. I'm intriested in dyno numbers.

01PSD

Reaction score
yes compounds are in the future. If I decide to go with a race build, Ill go with 285/100s (hybrids of course). Matt at CED is going to be building my compounds, and I could not wait until June to upgrade my turbo setup, so we decided on this turbo to be the high pressure (granted we can swap housings if need be). as for the extra 5cc's... instead of a 205..I wanted an extra bit of fuel to spray with when I head to the track. I have been limited by fuel before and knowing my addiction, I feel it is easier to up the air than fuel. IMO

as for suitable..it IS street able

:thumbsup: that's kind of what I had in mind, just checking :D and I agree it is probably much easier to upgrade the air side of things

OneStockQuik6.0

Reaction score
Younger1993..Congrats on the build..

Btw, sorry for the derail...Does your oil return system come like that or did you do that yourself? I think my turbo is similar to yours mine is a 64/70 from II im not to happy with my oil return line as its braided and very flexible,My turbo is only 4 months old and the seal is gone on it,I would love to put the same return you have!

MorganY

Reaction score
Younger1993..Congrats on the build..

Btw, sorry for the derail...Does your oil return system come like that or did you do that yourself? I think my turbo is similar to yours mine is a 64/70 from II im not to happy with my oil return line as its braided and very flexible,My turbo is only 4 months old and the seal is gone on it,I would love to put the same return you have!

Thanks! The return is part of the pedestal, RCD makes it

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Nice morgan, nice to hear youre happy with the setup! i cant wait to get my turbo and some live tuning done.

VIDS!

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
i'd like to see an outside view of normal take off and aggressive take off. And maybe one of the gauges to show spool up :blitzed:

PSM_Kid

Reaction score
Thanks! I have a go pro that is my buddies that I can use...what kind of vid? In cab, gauges, road?

Congrats on getting it running. How about a vid of the gauges and then a vid of a rear view, stick the camera on the door so we can see what kinda smoke it puts out when you launch or make a pass.

MorganY

Reaction score
Haha ya I need to get a gate first! Okay, I will do an in cab from my POV, i hope the go pro sticks to my door fine..I'd hate for it to fall off LOL

And of course I'll get dyno vids

BlueWaffle

Reaction score
nice dude! matt texted me a pic of that turbo setup and I was wondering where it was going. I have a feeling i'll be getting rid of this pmax soon so I'm anxious to hear more about how your setup runs.

PSM_Kid

Reaction score
Haha ya I need to get a gate first! Okay, I will do an in cab from my POV, i hope the go pro sticks to my door fine..I'd hate for it to fall off LOL

And of course I'll get dyno vids

It shouldn't fall off. Yes, dyno vids are a must!

MorganY

Reaction score
nice dude! matt texted me a pic of that turbo setup and I was wondering where it was going. I have a feeling i'll be getting rid of this pmax soon so I'm anxious to hear more about how your setup runs.

For WOT purposes..190/100s would be perfect with this turbo IMO.

faster6.0

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
What kind of boost numbers do you see at wot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online