My MPD S475 Kit.

MINK

Reaction score
I'd like to see a 475 with the 96 turbine wheel ran on Tadds truck to see what times it can do on fuel - should be night and day with BP and pull like a mother up top if he can ever get it lit. LOL

idkillinit

Reaction score
You are a terrible fisherman LOL

The deal is very, very clear here. Not once has anybody said "Oh, craig is going down and were gonna make sure this turbo setup fails!". Ask some of you posting in this thread and thats what you think is going on here, lol. The facts are that the batmo s475 didn't lit remotely close to acceptable for a daily driven truck at altitude. Is that a big surprise? No, not really. Does it have anything to do with MPD? No, not at all. Its no different than a Cummins with a big, responsive single at sea level that takes a weekend trip through the mountains at 4-5000'. Does that truck preform on those long steep grades like it would at say 3-400'? No, absolutely not. Does that mean the truck is a piece of crap and the turbo manufacturer is selling junk? Nope. It just means that the truck can't do what it can at sea level, at altitude. Guess what helps overcome that? VGT turbos. This whole gripe is stemmed from one person, IMO and his mouth. For the longest time everybody was really accepting of both setups until comments started being thrown around about how people don't need to waste their money on Elite VGT turbo setups because they don't work, east coast air must make this stuff work, yada, yada, yada. Ever since then, everybody has wanted to see a test of a big single like MPD's at altitude. I'd say both camps have wanted to put this one to rest with facts for awhile now and it finally has came to light and now people aren't happy with the results, lol. Guess what? Nobody said it was to be a direct comparison to craig's truck. Its a single turbo kit that was purchased to see just how responsive it would be at altitude. The results came back, it makes way less power than Craig's truck, it isn't nearly as responsive at 5000' as Craig's truck is at sea level, and it isn't daily driver friendly with altitude. It has nothing to do with Craig or anything else other than elevation difference. Thats it.

I hope Tadd brings different singles with him to Arizona races to run back to back passes for comparison. Atleast there, elevation wound play such a big role in the lack of performance and maybe people will be more accepting of the results(good or bad) there.

Really. Again. Ok ill say it again. It was not an accurate test to see if the turbo would perform as well or even as close to as well as it does on the east. It was much to over fueled. Even jd said it was known it was way over fueled and that they were intentending on putting more air to it. How is it put to rest if it wasn't set up properly as was yo perform.

This is obviously a situation where we need to agree to disagree. If people feel I was pointing fingers or running my mouth it is what it is. I'll be around

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
the point of this test was to compare to it the precision 75mm ... peak numbers were not the goal, and imitating craigs setup wasnt either. you put two turbos, same truck, same day, compare numbers , thats it. i think its overfueled as well, but so was the precision turbo. it as well made high bp, similar to the batmo, just made more power and carried it through the rpm range longer. so if they were setting up the batmo for failure, they were also setting up the precision 75 for failure as well. craig knew what was happening before it happened, and we did almost an apples to apples match on turbos from different companies.

idkillinit

Reaction score
the point of this test was to compare to it the precision 75mm ... peak numbers were not the goal, and imitating craigs setup wasnt either. you put two turbos, same truck, same day, compare numbers , thats it. i think its overfueled as well, but so was the precision turbo. it as well made high bp, similar to the batmo, just made more power and carried it through the rpm range longer. so if they were setting up the batmo for failure, they were also setting up the precision 75 for failure as well. craig knew what was happening before it happened, and we did almost an apples to apples match on turbos from different companies.

There you go mike an answer that makes sence. That makes sence. Not to just say the mpd kit "didn't spool well" but that the objective was to see which turbo would perform better under these circumstances.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
The batmo seemed to be driveable but you just can't get on it at all in public , unless you like rolling coal and pissing people off. It's definitely a learned driving setup, but no way can you lay into it in traffic, or even more than 1/8th throttle. I'm not sure what Tadd has done testing the precision in normal driving conditions, but I suspect a similar result.

BFT

Reaction score
It probably helped out on carrying the power band a little further and stretching the legs of both turbos.

Craig@MFI

Reaction score
From the graphs it doesnt look like it helped out at all besides spooling slower and power fell off right after 3500rpms

BFT

Reaction score
Any proof of that on The sheets? Looking for a cam to be part of my build too

Unless they changed out the cam to stock during the dyno, you wouldn't be able to see the difference. The truck also has 456 gears from what I remember being said.

The spooling slower was most likely the elevation along with the big single. It's just the nature of the beast when one is up there. After driving from sea level to elevation and back the truck feels like an entire different animal.

Also, have to remember these tests were to compare different singles on one set up in one day, like mentioned before.

Last edited:

BFT

Reaction score
I don't remember that ever being said. Ive only been in one 6.4 with a cam and that was mikes and spool up was fine

Craig@MFI

Reaction score
aaron had it in his race truck 2 years ago and could never get it to spool even with a vgt turbo than they switched it out to the stage 2 which still spooled slower than stock cam from what i remember

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
I believe Tadd put a stage 2 In for high rpm. I know in the Dyno runs they were still maintaining huge power up at 4k rpm. My cam was a stage 1. I absolutely believe the 4:56 gears will aid in spoolup though, probaly enough to offset lag from the stage 2 if there is added lag, I don't have any experience with it so I can't say.

08KingRanchF250

Reaction score
Hummm interesting, im at sea level and will have The heads and tranny out anyway do figured id try sbd find more data on it since Its Not that much more cost to go ahead and do, sorry for the derail

Latest posts

Members online