New piston options for 6.4!

Reaction score
I have been working on a new piston design for the 6.4 and it finally came in! We used a IH piston as the pattern and then improved upon it. To prevent cracking we added material in critical area such as the skirt, pin bores, and bowl area. We use a better ring pack to help with seating, blowby and oil consumption. The pin is made out of H-13 tool steel and has dual spiral locks to hold it in. The piston can be ordered with valve reliefs or without. The valve reliefs are made for oversized valves to accommodate all applications. The bowl can be straight sided or IH style. They can be ordered in literally any bore size you want! They are fully hard anodize coated and have moly skirt coating.

The ring lands are much longer lasting than conventional forged pistons because of the alloy and coating procedure of these pistons. There are several duramax's with these same style pistons and ring combinations on the road now. last one I know of had been compression checked at 60k miles with no loss from new spec. They are not a 200k mile piston (but neither is a stock one fwiw) but they are a good trade off for high Hp builds that do not want piston failure to ruin an engine. A 80-100k mile piston that won't crack at any Hp level is how these are designed.

Because of all the different combinations these are a make to order part. They do fit stock rods and we do have a drop in stock configuration piston if someone wants to go that route. They are a 5 week manufacture time right now.

I am super excited about these and they will be in my 2.6 pulling truck. I also have more ordered for a couple more builds for customers.

Although these pistons are running in lots of duramaxe's and cummins they are a new design for the powerstroke. So with that being said, If any one is wanting to be a tester for me, other than the sets in trucks that I am already in process of testing. I will give a discount on the first 10 sets of pistons. PM me for pricing. Normal price is $2500 for 8 pistons, rings, pins and locks.

Reaction score
gara5y2y.jpg

y9asaqyn.jpg

Reaction score
Those look nice! Any idea what the compression ratio is with these?

The ones pictured have a -42.8cc displacement. They have the straight side bowls and small .050" pockets. I haven't done the calculations for what the will be in the engine yet but I will by the end of the day and post it.

Keep in mind that the ratio changes with bore size, bowl config, valve reliefs, whether the block is milled or the pistons height is changed. Fwiw the standard piston is exactly the same compression of the IH piston.

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
These look like nice pieces, just curious though as to why you say they would only be good up to 100k miles? My stock ones have almost 200k on them though ideally yours would be a better choice, just curious is all unless you meant 100k miles of hard abuse on average.

Reaction score
These look like nice pieces, just curious though as to why you say they would only be good up to 100k miles? My stock ones have almost 200k on them though ideally yours would be a better choice, just curious is all unless you meant 100k miles of hard abuse on average.

The piston itself will be fine. The factory pistons have steel inserts for the compression ring to seat in. These being made from billet have no way to have steel ring-lands. Cast pistons have the steel ring-land in the mold when the aluminum is poured in.

They are much better material, but being made of solid billet we cannot have steel inserts. Traditionally non steel interest pistons in diesels wear out the ring grooves faster. The main difference is these are better that the traditional all-aluminum piston because of the alloy and the hardening process. So they last longer than the all-aluminum version but fall a little short of steel inserted ones. Either way these pistons are superior in strength to both. You have the peice of mind with the strength of the piston but you may have a sooner service interval. These are mainly for higher Hp builds that the extra strength is needed and for competition engines. Most of the higher Hp trucks will never run 100k miles without tearing the engine down for upgrades or other reasons.

Reaction score
And they may last longer, but until I have proof in a real world truck that has ran them a 100k+ I would be purely guessing. That's why we would like some testers other than the trucks at my shop.

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
The piston itself will be fine. The factory pistons have steel inserts for the compression ring to seat in. These being made from billet have no way to have steel ring-lands. Cast pistons have the steel ring-land in the mold when the aluminum is poured in.

They are much better material, but being made of solid billet we cannot have steel inserts. Traditionally non steel interest pistons in diesels wear out the ring grooves faster. The main difference is these are better that the traditional all-aluminum piston because of the alloy and the hardening process. So they last longer than the all-aluminum version but fall a little short of steel inserted ones. Either way these pistons are superior in strength to both. You have the peice of mind with the strength of the piston but you may have a sooner service interval. These are mainly for higher Hp builds that the extra strength is needed and for competition engines. Most of the higher Hp trucks will never run 100k miles without tearing the engine down for upgrades or other reasons.

Gotcha, thanks for the explanation.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.