New piston options for 6.4!

Reaction score
seriously thinking about doing these, can you get zero gap rings?

Yes I can do gapless. The pistons come with total seal brand rings, gapless is an option. If your going to daily drive it though I do not reccomend them. The gapless is not needed as the total seal conventional rings already will seal better than the factory keystone style. The gapless makes more stress on the ring grooves and therefore will wear quicker. Ok for competition but not daily use. And when using a gapless top we still run a conventional second otherwise pressure will get trapped on between and take out the rings even faster. So yes we offer gapless but only for competition. But just a side note these are file fit rings. My 2.6 truck even is getting standard top rings.

Wayne

Reaction score
I have heard good things about Diamond, good choice. No comparison to a monotherm but still, they appear to be on top of their game.

Meniacal_Mark

Reaction score
MAHLE should think about making them for 6.4's. With the aftermarket for the 6.4 as good as it is right now, and with people having pistons cracking, it could be worth it.

But back on subject, I think it's pretty cool that these forged pistons can be used in a daily driver.

Meniacal_Mark

Reaction score
Man, with the parts you've gathered for your truck it seems like you'll be testing lots of things LOL.

Reaction score
MAHLE should think about making them for 6.4's. With the aftermarket for the 6.4 as good as it is right now, and with people having pistons cracking, it could be worth it.

But back on subject, I think it's pretty cool that these forged pistons can be used in a daily driver.

The problem with monotherms is they are expensive and heavy. Last I heard somewhere in the $4k range. And for most people that's not feasible. Also the forged ones that are billet based can be machined any way you want it upon ordering. The beauty of these is literally any combination of bore, bowl, ring and valve designs you want. It doesn't affect the price.

Meniacal_Mark

Reaction score
The problem with monotherms is they are expensive and heavy. Last I heard somewhere in the $4k range. And for most people that's not feasible. Also the forged ones that are billet based can be machined any way you want it upon ordering. The beauty of these is literally any combination of bore, bowl, ring and valve designs you want. It doesn't affect the price.

That is very good point, having any option you can think of for your pistons gives a wide array of choices for whatever someone would be building their engine for.

Fast-6.0

Reaction score

The monotherms are more costly but so are the forged aluminum. They may be heavier than the forged aluminum but the monotherms are way stronger and typically weigh the same as the stock pistons. The have been used in 6500 rpm Cummins engines. The monotherms also don't melt. Forged aluminum will still melt from EGT's. Sorry but if my concern was street reliability the monotherm wins hands down.

Latest posts

Members online