New Street Truck

Kind

Reaction score
Rob hasn't complained about a lose in power... But then again he was using his LT headers with a leak prior to the Steed install lol.

This has me wondering if I should install mine.

steedspeed

Reaction score
I called and bitched about it a few times, had a long discussion with him about his reasoning why he did it yatta yatta, then elaborated that we wont sell them unless its changed. Next time I spoke with him.. seems like others had complained as well.. sounds like the flange is still going to be the same size, just different ID. I dunno.. seems like overthinking it all to me..

You called about the outlet size. I talked to other dealers and asked if they wanted smaller outlets. Some did and some were ok with the 2.5. I revised the outlet flanges to go to 2 inch and called that week and left a message with one of your guys explaining that I had made the change you wanted. Not sure how I can give better or faster response than that really.

What did Leen say about the guys whom have the manifolds already? Hopefully when you guys figure this out, he will update everyone for no cost or something along those lines.

If we find there is a problem then it will be fixed and new manifolds will be sent out. We always look after our customers regardless of the cost.

Right now I am trying to find out from everyone what experience they are having with them. Every call I have had so far has been very positive. One thing to remember with the "Powerstroke connections" truck is that the up pipes were 2.5'' almost the whole way to the turbo and Tom ground out the turbine housing to accept the bigger pipes at the turbine. I would have thought that if volume was a factor in slow spool then that first truck would have been a dog but the opposite was true. The production manifolds do have slightly bigger passages so maybe that is causing a problem.

I'm getting tests done under various conditions as soon as possible and based on feedback I will make changes if required. Not sure if the problem is manifolds or something else at this point.

Jhaddox

Reaction score
Stand up response...hopefully everything works out and these perform as anticipated

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
I wont be able to do a back to back test with just a manifold swap all I can do is compare to trucks with the same set up, I think a large Hp drop like that would be noticable on the same dyno, ill be logging everything with the dd...just hope I'm not making changes As soon as the trucks together

Thats my point bud, if they just proved there is a need for a change in design somewhere then I would hold off on installing the product for fear that you may need to swap them out very soon.

You could install them and feel like its got plenty of power and it may only be 20-30 hp different than other peoples trucks (which could be a dyno difference) and at that point not realize your actually like some serious spool and top end.

Just my opinion trying to save a guy some time and effort, these are pretty factual results here!

Jhaddox

Reaction score
Right but the differences between a compound set up and a single may be different...they're getting tried regardless just to see what they do....if they need swapped they need swapped

They will go on the truck...ive ridden in and know how the truck should spool with craigs manifolds with the same size turbo so its not that much of a grey area for me

My bad on the derail Mike

Worstenemy453

Reaction score
I'm still curious on this cummins thing. I guess I will have to take this to cummins forum. Steeds are more than double the price compared to cast competitors and I will easily pay that for a quality product. I'm already planning on purchasing their BMW manifold for my E36 and talking to them about a Harley manifold.

Worstenemy453

Reaction score
I'm still curious on this cummins thing. I guess I will have to take this to cummins forum. Steeds are more than double the price compared to cast competitors and I will easily pay that for a quality product. I'm already planning on purchasing their BMW manifold for my E36 and talking to them about a Harley manifold.

Didn't mean Harley manifold. Watching TV and replying to threads don't work together lmao.

SSpeeDEMONSS

Reaction score

if you want better info, do NOT go to CF. refer to CompD.

Garrett

Johnny77Mutt

Reaction score
I would recommend Craig's manifolds to anyone, they are very well made pieces. I don't have any accurate dyno comparisons though because I did other upgrades at the same time.

Breaking Habits

Reaction score
You called about the outlet size. I talked to other dealers and asked if they wanted smaller outlets. Some did and some were ok with the 2.5. I revised the outlet flanges to go to 2 inch and called that week and left a message with one of your guys explaining that I had made the change you wanted. Not sure how I can give better or faster response than that really.

Don't think I'm ball beating you man, because I'm not trying to. I think these things will do just fine with small revision. Rome wasn't built overnight. It's like you were saying about your local guys testing cummins manifolds. Trial and error equals a better product! Keep up the good work.

Sent from somewhere away from my desk using magic.

powerstrokedub

Reaction score

I have a SteedSpeed on my 6.7L and its truly a very nice product. I don't have any thing to compare it to as its the only manifold I have ran, but I'm spooling a 472/83/.90 on totally stock fuel at 5000' of elevation without too much trouble.

Hopefully they get the issue corrected because as far as I'm concerned the quality of the steed manifold is second to none.

dstryr

Reaction score
Rome wasn't built overnight. It's like you were saying about your local guys testing cummins manifolds. Trial and error equals a better product! Keep up the good work.

Sent from somewhere away from my desk using magic.

The only thing is testing should have been done more before releasing to the public...another case of people rushing products to market...

SSpeeDEMONSS

Reaction score
I would recommend Craig's manifolds to anyone, they are very well made pieces. I don't have any accurate dyno comparisons though because I did other upgrades at the same time.

This post is invalid. Recommending something just because it is made well doesn't always work. The Steed manifolds are also very well made pieces, though once actual testing was done they proved that the design needs to be revised.

Garrett

encrypted with an enigma machine

steedspeed

Reaction score
The only thing is testing should have been done more before releasing to the public...another case of people rushing products to market...

Here is what happened. I built the original manifolds which worked very well. After a production run we looked at the flow again and it was found that one of the passages flowed better than the others so we made 2 of the others the same shape. Apparently flow isn't everything because it seems to have hurt the performance. It wasn't much of a change so I'm amazed it could hurt spool so badly but I guess you learn something new every day. I've been back to talk to owners of the original manifold and the response is a unanimous "awesome" so I'm going to start making replacements today for the manifolds we sent out.

TurboM700

Reaction score
I agree that some changes to help could be made. I also think that some more testing needs to be done. Just because one truck configuration didn't work well with these manifolds doesn't mean all trucks wont.
How much time was spent making changes on Mikeys truck to try and get the power back?
Where any different tunes wrote to help with the loss of power? More PW less PW. Controlling the vanes differently because of more or less back pressure?

To me we are getting into custom tuning per vehicle when you start looking at different manifolds,turbos,injectors, etc to get them to operator at peek performance.

Now if you did all these things and still got low results then the questions needs to be answered why. Why are these manifolds loosing 50+hp.
To big of V-band causing loss in velocity and heat?

jdgleason

Reaction score
Here is what happened. I built the original manifolds which worked very well. After a production run we looked at the flow again and it was found that one of the passages flowed better than the others so we made 2 of the others the same shape. Apparently flow isn't everything because it seems to have hurt the performance. It wasn't much of a change so I'm amazed it could hurt spool so badly but I guess you learn something new every day. I've been back to talk to owners of the original manifold and the response is a unanimous "awesome" so I'm going to start making replacements today for the manifolds we sent out.

Awesome. You're a stand up guy Leen! I'm sure I will talk to you soon.

imelmo

Reaction score

Doesn't get much better than that.

We are going to start a much more involved testing session with Steedspeed.

Or that.

Kind

Reaction score

We are going to start a much more involved testing session with Steedspeed.

:toast:

Latest posts

Members online