No fuel?

cutthroatxxx

Reaction score
Ok so its not the pump I jumped it the correct way,had no.lines hooked up on either end but whatever fuel was in the pump.spewed out.So I.gotta go re read this post to see what else it could be.hopefully its just a fuse or relay was gonna pick up a book on it.but they were out.I cant seem to find a diagram of both boxes thAt are good enough to make em out.
Im.hoping its just a fuse or relay because when I jumped it I definatley heard it.I never heard if b4.Any tboughts?

cutthroatxxx

Reaction score
Turns out the fuelpump relay maxi fuse is blown,when I pulled the ones in front of it the ones behind if they looked good I kept going.Ill replace it tomorrow and hopefully that's it

cutthroatxxx

Reaction score
Hopefully guy@ the parts store said fuse probablly burnt from me jumping it..I.said.Ill.keep.that in mind but.didnt u just work @ pizza hut?I.mean I hate that all they do.is look.up parts on a computer & all of a sudden.the George barris or the head tech @ a gm

Arisley

Reaction score
You have to have a complete circuit to the power that you are using. The ground is switched (I believe). Therefore, if you ground your hot battery to the frame, the pump will still not get a ground. You have to hook positive to one side and negative to the other side.
On the tank, If you are not getting fuel flow, something is stopping it. If there is fuel in the tank, it should be pouring out the line when disconnected. Hook some compressed air up to it and blow it clear. MAKE SURE YOU REMOVE THE FUEL CAP BEFORE HITTING THE HOSE WITH COMPRESSED AIR. If it fixes the issue, you need to drop the tank and find the issue. Siphon the fuel out, it's not that heavy, it is plastic.

Tinnitus sucks, I hear crickets 24/7, since 1981.
We are not biting your head off because you need help and are doing what you can. Hang in there.

cutthroatxxx

Reaction score
Thanks arisley,yeah when I tryd 2 ground itn2 frame but nada but when I went from batt ground to pump ground it cycled on.I never heard the pump kick on b4 this but when I jumped I sure heard it&fuel shot out!So after I found the maxi fuse for the pump relay was blown Im.thinking thats it so....

TyCorr

Reaction score
You have to have a complete circuit to the power that you are using. The ground is switched (I believe). Therefore, if you ground your hot battery to the frame, the pump will still not get a ground. You have to hook positive to one side and negative to the other side.
On the tank, If you are not getting fuel flow, something is stopping it. If there is fuel in the tank, it should be pouring out the line when disconnected. Hook some compressed air up to it and blow it clear. MAKE SURE YOU REMOVE THE FUEL CAP BEFORE HITTING THE HOSE WITH COMPRESSED AIR. If it fixes the issue, you need to drop the tank and find the issue. Siphon the fuel out, it's not that heavy, it is plastic.

Tinnitus sucks, I hear crickets 24/7, since 1981.
We are not biting your head off because you need help and are doing what you can. Hang in there.

My tinnitus keeps getting worse...

cutthroatxxx

Reaction score
Ok 2 questions
#1 since I 4 sure heard the pump kick on when I ran a jumper then we knowbthe pump is good so the maxi fuse more than likely was the problem correct...kinda.almost a statemeant more than.a question well on with thevquesrion I didnt check that fuse till after I jumped it then is it possible that jumping.it blew it?
What could cause the maxifuse for the fuel pump relay to blow?

TyCorr

Reaction score
Ok 2 questions
#1 since I 4 sure heard the pump kick on when I ran a jumper then we knowbthe pump is good so the maxi fuse more than likely was the problem correct...kinda.almost a statemeant more than.a question well on with thevquesrion I didnt check that fuse till after I jumped it then is it possible that jumping.it blew it?
What could cause the maxifuse for the fuel pump relay to blow?

Uh, you jumping it or the pump is going bad and drawing higher amperage than the circuit is designed for and as designed, the fuse blows.

cutthroatxxx

Reaction score
Ok so I replaced the fuse it blew,I replaced.with a higher rated fuse & it blew,I then unplugged what I belive is the fuel bowl heater replaced the fuse again& it blew.So Im guessing I need a new pump?I read somewhere else that it could.be a bad ground & theres something to unplug from somewhere & lf it dosnt blow then the pumps good....but who thinks jts ghe pump?

Arisley

Reaction score
Try replacing the fuse and see if it works. It's worth a shot. But I am betting on clogged fuel pickup. That may have also caused the fuse to blow. Little pump trying to suck a fuel hose flat.

Sorry, but my last post I missed your last post.

If you hit a stump, give me a call. I will do what I can to help.
Andy. 817-917-3731.

TARM

Reaction score
Someone confirm this as I am super tired and about to hit the sack so I'm a bit punchy right now

There are a few pitstops on the way to the fuel pump. The PCM controls the control wire to the fuel pump relay. After the relay it goes thru the inertia cut off switch( collision safety feature) then finally onto the fuel pump. The pump is on a switched ground relay setup. Also do you have a CEL light on? Not sure if you get a hard code tripping the light for the fuel pump or not. You are looking for trouble codes P0230 -2 IIRC. There is a monitor circuit on the fuel pump line that goes back to the PCM so if there is too much power or not enough or wrong time it will trip a code and may disable the pump circuit altogether ( I think on the last part). So checking for codes might be a good easy first step if you have access to a proper code reader.

Is the fuse blowing when you jump it or was it blown with the only the factory harness hooked up? I ask as I am confused. Earlier on you said all fuses look good then you jumper it. After that you stated blowing the fuse. I am not sure if you just missed it earlier or is this happening from still jumping from the battery directly to the pump? Regardless you almost never need the fuel bowl heater so just unplug it completely. Do not go with higher rated fuses. That in general is never a good thing on a stock harness setup.

If it is blowing the fuse with the stock harness hooked up only the most likley answer is the pump has failed. Sometimes when they fail they build up so much resistance they will blow the fuse. So if with the fuel heater unplugged and you make sure any of the exposed wires are not shorting on anything that 30 amp maxi fuse is blowing its most likely the pump itself.

Best place for getting the pumps I have found that no one seems to be able to touch the price is rockauto $79. (people had/have been selling their 10 yr old pumps for more LOL) Its part # 69136 here is the link to the page http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=2233582

If you wish to further troubleshoot it before making the purchase here are some of the steps:

Have you pressed the rest button inertia cut off switch which you can do on the passenger side kick panel (right foot side). There should be a hole near the top of it and a small button. (That is unless you are blowing fuses with just stock wiring harness in place and no jumper etc..powering it.) Here are the instructions:

fuelpumpcutoffswitchreset_zpsf2d29421.jpg

Probably easiest to work from the pump back to the PCM in testing for power.

You can pull that panel and probe the wires or terminals of the cut off swtich to see if you are getting power to and from it. I think the power lead is dark green and yellow going into the switch from the relay and pink and black coming out. If you are getting power in but not out then the switch is bad. I guess you could bypass the switch if you wanted to but its a safety feature in case of a collision.

If there is no power to it then it could be the relay itself which means replacing it. They put the fuel pump relay in a stupid location if I recall as its back under the cup holder on the dash left side. At least for me you have to pull the radio to get to it.

Rather than digging it out at first you could confirm you are getting power from the PCM. The connector to the PCM is engine side firewall drivers side. Its pin 94. Its a light blue wire with an orange tracer. Stick it with a probe with the key on ( 30 sec) and it should become a ground (you can test it off the battery neg post.) It believe it will be the passenger side of the connector when its plugged in 2 below the center bolt. That should get you in the area to find the right color. If that proves to much a PITA plugged in remove the PCM from inside the cab and plug it back in to the connector in the engine bay. Then you can easily find the pin/wire location.

Here is a diagram of the connector with it unplugged facing you:

2012-11-26_202407_pcmpin_zps49eb05fa.gif

One possible way if you want to test the entire ground circuit but the fuse keeps blowing and its a switched ground so not a completed circuit without the pcm flipping the relay on. Again I am tired as crap right now so I may not have this right on testing the ground circuit but here:

Unplug the connectors from the pump. Put in a new fuse and turn the key on. (You will only have 30 seconds before the PCM opens the relay connection again.) Have the multimeter resistance/ohm, one lead to the ground terminal in the connector and the other lead to the battery negative post. Should read infinity or 0 or under 1 ohm depending how you are testing it. I THINK that would work.

Thats about all my brain can spew out tonight again someone double check this to make sure I did not tell him to blow up his engine or something.

cutthroatxxx

Reaction score
Im tired of troublesbooting I think that Im just gonna replace the pump it seems like as soon I put a fuse in I turn the key on & it blows.I plan on.keeping this truck I build custom cars & bikes for a living,I have a muscle car almost done a vintage harley..had 2 sell.a 1 of a kind.over the winter I almost.died...And.soon as this is running Ill be looking.for a gasser project
A REAL NOSTALGIA GASSER not.a.truck probablly a 53 chevy roller I.got.my eyes on then this.Itll have tons.of custom.metal work & paint lift etc all of these vehicles I choose is because I.know they bring business.And I need all I can get because I plan on flipping mostly bikes & some trucks & cars but yeah mostly bikes.So If I end up with a extra fuel pump I will just hold on to it but let's hope that the fuel pump solve the problem I'm going to paint this thing a dark Molten lava red with crushed glass & powder coat my wheels in
Black chrome.with lip to.match paint on.body with tons.more just gotta make up my mind if Im.going to srw over the duallys as I wanna run 20s.with atleast.35s for.lift..I.know duallys would look.better but that could easily be 2 grand more than srw Id.like.2 run.22.5 semis as I can get the wheels cheap I just cant find the tires cheap..anyways.damn gas tank.needle says full.but gas lite is on.Im ranting. Ill be back later..4got 2 mention why I choose the psd over cummins youll get a kick tell ya later skater

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Im tired of troublesbooting I think that Im just gonna replace the pump it seems like as soon I put a fuse in I turn the key on & it blows.I plan on.keeping this truck I build custom cars & bikes for a living,I have a muscle car almost done a vintage harley..had 2 sell.a 1 of a kind.over the winter I almost.died...And.soon as this is running Ill be looking.for a gasser project
A REAL NOSTALGIA GASSER not.a.truck probablly a 53 chevy roller I.got.my eyes on then this.Itll have tons.of custom.metal work & paint lift etc all of these vehicles I choose is because I.know they bring business.And I need all I can get because I plan on flipping mostly bikes & some trucks & cars but yeah mostly bikes.So If I end up with a extra fuel pump I will just hold on to it but let's hope that the fuel pump solve the problem I'm going to paint this thing a dark Molten lava red with crushed glass & powder coat my wheels in
Black chrome.with lip to.match paint on.body with tons.more just gotta make up my mind if Im.going to srw over the duallys as I wanna run 20s.with atleast.35s for.lift..I.know duallys would look.better but that could easily be 2 grand more than srw Id.like.2 run.22.5 semis as I can get the wheels cheap I just cant find the tires cheap..anyways.damn gas tank.needle says full.but gas lite is on.Im ranting. Ill be back later..4got 2 mention why I choose the psd over cummins youll get a kick tell ya later skater
how well did the pump take off when jumped? did it slowly take off or juwt explode with power? im wondering if the pump relay is shorted out?

live life full throttle

TARM

Reaction score
That was my reason for mentioning the other stuff. If the pump is blowing fuses with the factory hookup not jumpered then I think most likley its the pump but if its only when jumpered then I think the possibility its the cut off or relay is higher but it could still be the pump.

To the Op I know I wrote but do not miss the link to Rockauto as it will save you a ton of $$$ on the pump and they ship quickly.

Latest posts

Members online