No Limit Fab Stage 2 Intake Review

sootie

Reaction score
Looks good, but much more heat will enter that intake than stock. A big part of a COLD air intake is the COLD air.

These factors are what play the role of determining an effective intake:

- How much the ambient air temp is raised in the intake.
- How much the air pressure is lowered in the intake.
- And the resulting air density.

I've only seen one manufacturer that measures all of these parameters.

i didnt think that was as big an issue on a turbocharged diesel because of how hot it gets while getting compressed. pretty much the intercooler controls how cool the air charge is.

trying to get bigger chargers to live is waaay more important that air temp. most people dont measure the wear and tear on their chargers due to lack of sufficient flow do they...

TXMile

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
i didnt think that was as big an issue on a turbocharged diesel because of how hot it gets while getting compressed. pretty much the intercooler controls how cool the air charge is.

trying to get bigger chargers to live is waaay more important that air temp. most people dont measure the wear and tear on their chargers due to lack of sufficient flow do they...

Simple... the colder air the air that goes in the intercooler, the colder it comes out.

sootie

Reaction score
This seemed to be common knowledge. There are several good independent tests I've seen, but don't have time to find them for you. Google may provide assistance.

BTW I've seen an instance in which sand was found in a destroyed turbo... in which the root cause was determined to be an aftermarket K&N filter.

ya-that's common knowledge about k&n. i wouldnt broad brush every aftermarket intake as filtering poorer than oem.

sootie

Reaction score
Intake temperatures will generally be higher than ambient conditions, but the more the system can duct cool air to the filter and preserve the cool temperature as the air is ducted to the turbo (compare air temps below), the higher the air density will be. In addition, there will commonly be a pressure drop as air travels through the filter and the ducting due to any restriction that is introduced (compare air pressures below). If the design of the system can minimize the restriction and the pressure loss, air density will be preserved.

Stock Intake
•Elevated ambient air temp 17.7° F
•Lowered air pressure 6.8%
•Combined result: air density 90.2% of ambient

AFE Stage I
filter exposed with a sheet metal heat shield.
•Elevated ambient temp 49.4° F
•Lowered air pressure 2.7%
•Combined result: air density 89.1% of ambient
•1.1% worse than stock

AFE Stage II has a fully enclosed housing with an integrated forward-facing scoop.
•Elevated ambient temp 27.9° F
•Pressure 3.0% less than stock
•Combined result: air density 92.2% of ambient
•2.0% better than stock

Airaid Intake System
•Elevated ambient temp 26.8° F
•Lowered air pressure 5.5%
•Combined result: air density 90.1% of ambient
•0.1% less than stock

AEM Brute Force Intake
• Elevated ambient temp 52.6° F
•Lowered air pressure 1.8%
•Combined result: air density 89.5%
•0.7% worse than stock

i think what you are missing is that tests on a stock truck with just an intake swap is hardly apples to apples with most of the guys on here...

the term "supporting mods" exists for a reason...

sootie

Reaction score
Note that I stated this was one instance I've seen in person. There are several studies out there you can find on google the good ol fashion way with two hands and a keyboard.

i guess that's one way to do it...try telling my 6.4 that the stock intake or closed intake boxes are better for it...LOL

some of us do up trucks and have experimented first hand with multiple products..

oh and btw-absolutely zero dust, dirt or sand in my turbo after 20k

Last edited:

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Looks good, but much more heat will enter that intake than stock. A big part of a COLD air intake is the COLD air.

These factors are what play the role of determining an effective intake:

- How much the ambient air temp is raised in the intake.
- How much the air pressure is lowered in the intake.
- And the resulting air density.

I've only seen one manufacturer that measures all of these parameters.
not a factor when it is and has been proven time and time again that they flow more air thus increasing hp..
The stock intake filters better than all "aftermarket high flow" filters.
some yes
proof please?
filtration cant be beat on a stock element.. airflow on the otherhand, yes.
This seemed to be common knowledge. There are several good independent tests I've seen, but don't have time to find them for you. Google may provide assistance.

BTW I've seen an instance in which sand was found in a destroyed turbo... in which the root cause was determined to be an aftermarket K&N filter.
mr.google air filter hero.. see below...
Numbers never lie and the hp and tq gains are there.
true dat
ya-that's common knowledge about k&n. i wouldnt broad brush every aftermarket intake as filtering poorer than oem.
id be surprised if any highflow cone filter was as good as oem..

live life full throttle

sootie

Reaction score
WHO said this testing was done on a stock truck? I didn't. Not missing anything here, as I'm an owner of a Spartan tuned 6.4.

Your keyboard warrior attempts at justifying your theories hardly convinces many...

it's pretty simple. if mileage, throttle response, spool up and power increase with no evidence of dust or dirt in the turbo, where is the downside???

congrats on the spartan tuned 6.4. is it a stock turbo truck? ever tried different intakes and seen how it reacts?

sootie

Reaction score
It appears I'm the only one providing proof in numbers.

It can't be argued that airflow is restricted to an extent when using an intercooler. But intercoolers are effective because they provide air density.

This effect is the same in an air intake, just to a lesser degree.

ya-real good proof when there is no evidence to what vehicle you are talking about or the mods done to it...

sootie

Reaction score
And the proof of hp and tq you provide is your well calibrated butt in a seat? According to the numbers the only intake that provides a increase in hp and torque is the AFE stage II.

keep reading, junior...

Jacob @ No Limit

Reaction score
I love how my no limit is doing on my 15! No complaints! Looks much better! And about the heat in the intercooler or cac, whatever you want to call it. It's air to water on these trucks, so I'm willing to bet my intake air temp at cac outlet is dang near factory

sootie

Reaction score
Post factual #s, mademoiselle...

it wont satisfy you anyway as you cant seem to come to grips with the fact that an aftermarket intake helps more than just some companies attempt at marketing.

as i mentioned previously "supporting mods" exist for a reason. all the filtration in the world doesnt help your turbo if it cant get the air it needs.

i struggle to accept that the small elevation in intake air temp is a drastic impediment to the performance of these motors otherwise there would be no aftermarket intakes produced!!!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.