P2263 and P2563

CamTom12

Reaction score
Having a minor issue. I think I know what it is, but I haven't seen a bunch of info on it during a search on this site so I'm posting this up for other PSA members' future reference.

Mods as follows:

EGR Delete w/ WG; KEM 345 on DD; Intake and DPF delete; Full winter front.

Conditions:

0*F and colder. Truck at full operating temperature.

Symptoms:

Truck behaves laggy. Unable to tell smoke output due to temperature. Boost climbs very slowly, even with the TC locked. EGTs higher than normal. CEL with codes P2263 (Turbo/Super Charge Boost System Performance) and P2563 (Turbocharger Boost Control Position Sensor A Circuit Range/Performance)

Analysis:

I think it's the EBP sensor. I didn't check to see if it matched the MAP (key off) when I got home tonight, so I'll check that tomorrow. If there's any discrepancies, I'm going to pull it and clean it and the tube. I'll post more findings as I get them.

redx

Reaction score
Had this problem last year, gunk in the tube/sensor was freezing and gave it false readings. Cleaned the tube and the EBP sensor, came back a few days later. Changed the sensor and tube and problem has never came back.

Danbonzo

Reaction score
I was getting the 2263 constantly after full egr delete and studding mine. I searched and found that the plug was not fully click locked down on to the sensor. Code went away but does still flash very occasionally. Truck runs fine, I think its just a touchy sensor. I just clear it and drive it.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Easy fix its the ebp sensor. had the same issue years ago
Watch vgt duty cycle should be about 95% at idle and above 50% cruising
I'm.betting now its reading 7%
Also read back.pressure should be 14.7 Ish at idle

Last edited:

Erikclaw

Reaction score
I have had this issue a couple of times, been the sensor both times. If you can check boost at idle should be a positive number. If reading near zero or neg then sensor issue.

CamTom12

Reaction score
Well, it warmed up today (8*F), so everything seemed to be checking out the way it ought to: MAP and EBP both reading the same (somewhere just less than 15psi) key on, engine off; EBP well within acceptable range while driving; VGTDC at 95% at idle, between 40-50% or so when cruising/light accel, and not lower than 7.001% under acceleration.

I think I only saw around 14-15psi MGP, but there's no way I'm running any more than 1/2 throttle with the road conditions.

I'm pretty convinced it's just the sensor, I just haven't had an opportunity to get in there with a wrench and some brake-kleen (I don't fit in the garage at the house so I'm going to do it next time I get some time in the shop at work, hahaha).

powerstrokedub

Reaction score
Bringing this back up, I threw the P2263 code today towing about 5k lbs up a decent grade on my way back north from St. George. I was running the H&S Wild tune at the time, other than the tuning, intake, and exhaust my truck is stock. I cleared the code and it hasn't came back yet, but how difficult is the sensor to replace and where is the sensor at? Thanks guys

CamTom12

Reaction score
It's on a tube that comes up from the back of the driver's side exhaust manifold. Mine's really easy to get to but I have a full EGR delete. Not sure if that'll make a difference. I got the sensor for about $75 and figured for another $25 a new tube assy wouldn't hurt - just waiting for it to come in before I change them.

When I clear the code the CEL goes away but the EBP is still reading way high and it keeps the VGT vanes at 7.001 DC. I don't want them to soot up and get stuck so I've just not been driving the truck until I get the tube and swap them out. Not sure if the black maxx has monitoring or not.

FYI, above -25F the sensor has been working fine for me. I think mine's only partially gunked up but the cold weather freezes whatever carbon sludge is in there. I'm going to clean it and the old tube real good and hang on to them for a spare.

powerstrokedub

Reaction score
^Thanks for the reply man! My back pressure seems to be in check but I will probably just go order the parts up and replace them. I don't want stuck veins in the vgt causing me extreme drive pressure and popped gaskets! The truck only has 31k miles on it so I'm slightly baffled but I'm glad that its an easy fix.

powerstrokedub

Reaction score
Good info. I monitor EBP all the time so I guess I will keep a closer eye on it over the next few days and if it pops again order parts then.

907DAVE

Reaction score
FYI, above -25F the sensor has been working fine for me. I think mine's only partially gunked up but the cold weather freezes whatever carbon sludge is in there. I'm going to clean it and the old tube real good and hang on to them for a spare.

Looks like its gonna read wrong for quite awhile now.

Brrr....

Big Angry Hillbilly

Reaction score
Same issue with the 6.0's, there was a reflash for it and there's one for the 6.4's too.

Ford says its moisture freezing in the sensor/tube.

That doesn't explain those codes though. Should set a P0460 or 461 if I recall rightly.

powerstrokedub

Reaction score
^The odd thing is my truck didn't see below 40 degrees for the four days ahead of when it set the code, and it had been running for three hours when it did finally trip. Maybe just a fluke?

CamTom12

Reaction score
Actually, it completely explains those codes. There's definitely gunk freezing in the sensor/tube assy in my case. I can see it skewing EBP readings. The computer tries to lower EBP by opening the VGT vanes, but it has no effect because it's not an EBP problem but a sensor problem. But the computer doesn't have a sensor diagnostic test so it points the finger at the turbo.

CamTom12

Reaction score
Here's an example from about 1min after I shut down today. EBP is still reading stupid high because the sensor/tube assy is froze up. Usually VGTDC reads 7.001 in this scenario when the truck is on but after shut down they moved to 10.001.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1325652938.626950.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1325652938.626950.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 89

powerstrokin15

Reaction score
mine did the exact same. EBP was reading 75psi at idle LOL replaced the sensor and I've been good to go. it affected my VGT cycle a lot. pulled all the same codes also

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.