Powerflyte

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Let's talk about it. I personally think its a waste. They can't keep them together any better in anything else they have tried it behind and so far, a few who have tried using it seem to end up going back to the Allison, or fight problem after problem. Theoretically speaking, if i had to have a 4 speed that would be easy to control off a standalone unit and could take some power and I was looking to swap out a 5r110, I would be doing what Joe is and going to a 4r100

Discuss:

Last edited:

DMAX

Reaction score
I think they have their places. But I generally dont agree with installing a Dodge Trans behind anything, either Ford or GM. Alot of big name duramax drag racers like them, including Rob Coddens he put, if I recall correctly 40+ 10.00+ second passes on one. Not to recall someone saying transmissions like the 5r110 and allison 1000 having gear ratios of a real diesel truck with a 1:1 in 4th gear and not 3rd. I can only speak for the allison and duraflite but it is said to benefit on the track since it is alot lighter and shifts quicker. But Mike L last I heard was working on re-working the Planetary Gears and experiencing with C1 C2 C3 clutches to ultimatly make it better. I bet it will be the same thing with the powerflyte I would like to see a 4R100 take the credit before RE series

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
I guess I didn't know Rob was doing well with it. I just remember watching the suncoast trucks having nothing but problems trying to get down the track at TS. Aaron was going pass after pass and so were the boys from MPD with no issues. Hell, I think Aaron has put down the most power through a 5r110(backed up by track times) granted he destroys them here and there but I can't see the 47/48 being any better...

Dmitri is another one that comes to mind whose had several issues with his Duraflyte. I believe he's back in an Allison currently

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
The Cummins has been making crazy torque for a LONG time! A lot has gone into building those old dinosaur transmissions to hold all of that.

I think the 47/48 4sp w/ a stand-alone or a manual valve body is the way to go for all out

DMAX

Reaction score
Yea from what I know N20 Duramax was busting allisons left and right but is a firm supporter of a Duraflyte. They are pretty controversial I dont read about them too much more. Yea Dmitri is back in an Allison I believe he is going to try and stick with an Allison drag racing and pick a manual for the dyno to try his 2k hp goal. I think his fastest track time of a 9.9 was with an allison. I would like to see what happens this season as far as "who is running what"

STROKIN N STYLE

Reaction score
Break as many trannys as some of us have, and you'd be willing to look elsewhere for something that works. I'm hoping my 4r will hold up to the power were about to throw at it

Dzchey21

Reaction score
The Cummins has been making crazy torque for a LONG time! A lot has gone into building those old dinosaur transmissions to hold all of that.

I think the 47/48 4sp w/ a stand-alone or a manual valve body is the way to go for all out

The key point in is manual valve body

Dzchey21

Reaction score
I guess I didn't know Rob was doing well with it. I just remember watching the suncoast trucks having nothing but problems trying to get down the track at TS. Aaron was going pass after pass and so were the boys from MPD with no issues. Hell, I think Aaron has put down the most power through a 5r110(backed up by track times) granted he destroys them here and there but I can't see the 47/48 being any better...

Dmitri is another one that comes to mind whose had several issues with his Duraflyte. I believe he's back in an Allison currently

Robs truck also only weighs 6000 lbs

MINK

Reaction score
What big hp trucks are proving the 4r right now? Wasnt Jelich having issues with his at somepoint last season?

Craig@MFI

Reaction score
HD Converter isnt the answer either....just blew mine this weekend at flordia

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Break as many trannys as some of us have, and you'd be willing to look elsewhere for something that works. I'm hoping my 4r will hold up to the power were about to throw at it

I've broken plenty of chit over the years LOL

I think there is a limit for everything but I don't see reliability being any greater with a Powerflyte then a 5r110. If you can make 10 passes on a Tourgeshift and 10 passes on a 47/48, there's no point in swapping.

4r's are not muuuuch better at holding power but they've held up to some abuse of the CumminGs trucks for awhile. Guys like Scotty, Mike O., Dockboy, Bean, Zane, all make good power with them. I know each one has tore some chit up here as there but for the most part of say they are more reliable then their Dodge counterpart

Smokin_Joe

Reaction score
Beans 2000hp camo truck has run the same 4r for a few years. Brian from bts listed off many 10-9 second trucks running 4r trans, some for multiple seasons. Also think about the improved track times that are possible. I wouldn't consider this project if i didn't live down the street from Mike @ KEM. Beisides the 2 top bolts, everything thing else will be easy. Mike and I are confident we will figure out proper tunning to offer to other people who would like to switch to a 4r. Programming a pcs is no big deal either.

imelmo

Reaction score

This.^^^ Probably one of the larger reasons I sold the orange truck.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
A 4R is damn good transmission, there are only a couple of reasons that I went the Allison route over a 4R in my build - primarily gear spacing and the double overdrive which I think both will be critical in my do all, be all truck. The RE transmissions get a good wrap because of parts availability and history. The Allison and the 5R share similar flaws when it comes to shift speed - the whole idea of coming off a clutch pack and going on to the next clutch pack and trying to do it fast enough to shift and slow enough not to lock up the trans is kind of a scary prospect when it comes to wanting a fast vehicle - it works fine for its intended purpose.

It all goes back to torque - if you reduce the torque going through any of the transmissions to an acceptable level - then you will make any of them physically live. The problem with most of us is that we want all that torque (power) down low and our peak power is made at an RPM low enough to produce a torque number that just can't be transmitted through the transmission without failure.

Mike@MPD

Reaction score
It would just be nice if someone could make a trans that would last, i dont care who or what it is, JUST MAKE IT WORK!

Craig@MFI

Reaction score
The 5r110 really isnt that bad i have found how to get the clutchs to hold with out any of them burning up only thing i cant find is a good converter ive tried normal suncoast suncoast hd lasting the least now i currently have a ats 5 disc converter in it

MINK

Reaction score
The 5r110 really isnt that bad i have found how to get the clutchs to hold with out any of them burning up only thing i cant find is a good converter ive tried normal suncoast suncoast hd lasting the least now i currently have a ats 5 disc converter in it

Hm - I think I'm gonna try a DPC converter in mine; might aswell sense the others arnt proving anything.

JDub

Reaction score
I too think a 4R would be the way to go. Brians tranny seems to hold up just fine from what I've been around at the track, Zanes white truck, the Lightning, and the Dragster...all are running a BTS and we've never had to cut a day at the track short because of a transmission issue.

Latest posts

Members online