Powerflyte

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Is.it.Phill.Taylor that makes.his.own converter?

I know.there is a bad ass converter in.the.Dodge.world
Maybe.we need that...

Curious.to.see.how.long.the. ATS converter lasts since mal Burnside's went thru 3 in a very short time with less power than what Craig has.

Both Garmon and Phil assemble their own converters if i remember correctly, dont quote me though. Even then, Im not positive how much of it they make in house though. Takes some cash and equipment to make your own TC's

I agree with you on the ATS issues.

I can almost beat he didnt have converter issues i bet they were all trans considering ats uses stock rebuild kits to build there trans
we used there converters a long time ago in mikes old 6.0 and never had a issue

But we will see cause i am going to put it through hell

What are you breaking in these Suncoast converters?

Fun fact since you mentioned ATS using stock parts.... Their super dooper 5r converters retain stock stators.

Craig@MFI

Reaction score
Both Garmon and Phil assemble their own converters if i remember correctly, dont quote me though. Even then, Im not positive how much of it they make in house though. Takes some cash and equipment to make your own TC's

Fun fact since you mentioned ATS using stock parts.... Their super dooper 5r converters retain stock stators.

Burnt clutches in suncoast.... and you have a option with at when you get high stall ones they come with billet stator... im in no way saying it will hold but wth nothing else is and i had it sitting here so mid as well try it

Dzchey21

Reaction score
I can almost beat he didnt have converter issues i bet they were all trans considering ats uses stock rebuild kits to build there trans
we used there converters a long time ago in mikes old 6.0 and never had a issue

But we will see cause i am going to put it through hell

I know for a fact one of the 5 failures was a converter

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
Not convinced it'll be better than a 4 or 5r...

it's already proven time and time again behind engines making far more torque than a V8 diesel... The design is based on a tried and true 70's design with a long history of drag racing builds.

There's so much R&D in making them hold up and they're so simple to control.

Not saying it's the best option for everybody, but if I was building an all out drag truck, I'd put a 47/48 in it no matter what diesel engine was in front of it

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
Burnt clutches in suncoast.... and you have a option with at when you get high stall ones they come with billet stator... im in no way saying it will hold but wth nothing else is and i had it sitting here so mid as well try it

biggest killer I've seen on converter clutches is high stall speed :eek: (assuming line pressures/etc. is good)

the bigger the drop from unlocked to locked, the harder it is on the clutches.

I know a lot of diesel guys are anti-nitrous for some stupid reason, but running a tighter converter and just using nitrous to spool will go a LONG way in not only fluid temps and the possibility of getting burnt down at the tree , but a huge help in converter clutch life

just something I've noticed over the years

Mike@MPD

Reaction score
Yea burning down at the tree Craig knows that one. A truck did that to him Friday for about 20 seconds at PRI

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Well ***, when you pack a big single in the valley you are gonna be on the converter at the tree trying to spool it. That in itself will destroy any convertor you stack infront of that transmission. Sure one may last a few passes more then the other but it still isnt dying because the convertor's fault, imo. I really think you guys should look at the bigger picture here with some of your transmission problems

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Look at that video of Corsilli's truck from last year that I posted awhile back. He had guys lining up, running through the box, staging and down the track before he had that single lit enough to stage. You think the converter was happy there? Hell no, but dd he get down the track? Sure. After passes like that on consecutive weekends of racing, the converter is gonna give up.

Craig@MFI

Reaction score
5-7 second spool up really isnt much worse than stock so i really dont think that has anything to with the converters dying

MINK

Reaction score
Look at that video of Corsilli's truck from last year that I posted awhile back. He had guys lining up, running through the box, staging and down the track before he had that single lit enough to stage. You think the converter was happy there? Hell no, but dd he get down the track? Sure. After passes like that on consecutive weekends of racing, the converter is gonna give up.

There setups have changed alot sense then...But yes IF the singles were still performing that way (laggy as piss) that is whats killing the converter no doubt but there latest setups seem to be much much faster.

Mike@MPD

Reaction score
I wasnt talking about back then, craig and my and even whitey spool quick enough that your not sitting there killing the converter. Yea mine last year didnt spool worth a d1ck, so what?, im not blaming a bad converter on that, actually that one lasted for over a year like that

05chevy

Reaction score

I just talked to PI today and a guy that deals a lot with Garmon and there billet converters are all PI converters with there name on them and Phil from dpc does all his own.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
5-7 second spool up really isnt much worse than stock so i really dont think that has anything to with the converters dying

That's not bad. For some reason I was hearing otherwise. Video would be cool to compare against other setups.

How many passes did you make on that converter before it gave up?

Kind

Reaction score
NADP do any trannies for the 6.4? Never heard Shawn complain about the tranny in his race truck.. (6.4s are on a new level now LOL)

Yeah they do.

and shawn has his refrehed all the time...i believe hes only a few miles from him

Even if he refreshes it yearly, in the heavy @ss truck is damn impressive.

He lives a couple hours away from NADP.

Latest posts

Members online