Powerflyte

Black_Lightning91

Reaction score
My humble opinion. After take a truck that was designed for 300-400hp and turning it up to 1000+ your would be better off swapping in a medium/heavy duty truck trans. Point is FORD, Dodge, or Chevy none of those three built a transmission capable of handling anything like that. So spending 10+k to build any trans and I think its stupid. Ours trans are smaller not alowing for the same heat dissipation. Clutches simply are not big enough to hold under those loads. Shafts/drums ect are too weak for x hp. This is true for any built trans working in high hp trucks. Look at other auto trans that work daily under these kinds of torque loads they are freaking huge. So pick light small unreliable or big bulky works everyday.

Black_Lightning91

Reaction score
Ill change that statement when someone shows me a light duty trans that can log thousands of hours of heavy use under these huge torque loads with 0 failures.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
My humble opinion. After take a truck that was designed for 300-400hp and turning it up to 1000+ your would be better off swapping in a medium/heavy duty truck trans. Point is FORD, Dodge, or Chevy none of those three built a transmission capable of handling anything like that. So spending 10+k to build any trans and I think its stupid. Ours trans are smaller not alowing for the same heat dissipation. Clutches simply are not big enough to hold under those loads. Shafts/drums ect are too weak for x hp. This is true for any built trans working in high hp trucks. Look at other auto trans that work daily under these kinds of torque loads they are freaking huge. So pick light small unreliable or big bulky works everyday.

Ill change that statement when someone shows me a light duty trans that can log thousands of hours of heavy use under these huge torque loads with 0 failures.

Running a medium duty trans is not an option for many guys - some of us have to fit within class rules (1 ton or less availability) - some of us need something that shifts faster (who ever heard of a fast shifting heavy duty trans?) - while yes the components are larger and can better handle the high power duty cycle its certainly not the silver bullet needed to solve the problem. Most transmissions die from too much torque throughput - fix the torque problem and they will handle plenty of more power. I have some ideas that I have been working on to help with this - but its like any R&D that I do for myself - if its on my time and budget - it will get done when it gets done.

MINK

Reaction score

You understand we're trying to drag race correct? Big and Bulky are not an option.

Edit: Tree'd by Hoffman

cfdeng7

Reaction score
What mdt trans would you like to fit in a superduty chassis? They are huge and extremely heavy. And they fail at stock power levels in those trucks as well. Medium duty trucks are rated for much less hp then we are talking about in this thread. You also need a way to control the transmission.

The high hp trucks in this thread are mostly toys/full drag trucks not trailer haulers. Even at 600-700 dd/ towing these trans hold up quite well. In a drag racing application a medium duty trans is pretty much out of the question. Weight being a major factor as well as being able to tune and shift it quickly and keep it together. Imo a mdt trans is just not practical in a superduty chassis.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Medium duty Trans I.doubt would shift fast enough anyway.

Lenco/Bruno/liberty I.think.is the way.to.go if your guna spend the cash

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score

I see what you're saying but that's not applicable to our trucks.

To Craig, what parts are you having trouble with in the TC? I think it would be good for people to have a solid billet converter they can have faith in pass after pass

01PSD

Reaction score
I love this thread, just sayin. :rockon:

I bet it's a pretty big let down to drive 5-10+ hours across the country to an event, only to leave after a pass or two due to a transmission issue.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
I see what you're saying but that's not applicable to our trucks.

To Craig, what parts are you having trouble with in the TC? I think it would be good for people to have a solid billet converter they can have faith in pass after pass

Is.it.Phill.Taylor that makes.his.own converter?

I know.there is a bad ass converter in.the.Dodge.world
Maybe.we need that...

Curious.to.see.how.long.the. ATS converter lasts since mal Burnside's went thru 3 in a very short time with less power than what Craig has.

Mike@MPD

Reaction score
^ amen to that and also have the transfer go right as it's about to shift at 4000 rpms on two huge stages. All I have to say is ouch

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

MINK

Reaction score

Maybe.we need that...

Curious.to.see.how.long.the. ATS converter lasts since mal Burnside's went thru 3 in a very short time with less power than what Craig has.

Phil is DPC...I havnt heard any reviews on his ford stuff yet though.

Craig@MFI

Reaction score

Maybe.we need that...

I can almost beat he didnt have converter issues i bet they were all trans considering ats uses stock rebuild kits to build there trans
we used there converters a long time ago in mikes old 6.0 and never had a issue

But we will see cause i am going to put it through hell

01PSD

Reaction score
NADP do any trannies for the 6.4? Never heard Shawn complain about the tranny in his race truck.. (6.4s are on a new level now LOL)

Black_Lightning91

Reaction score
Okay I do understand class rules and the such. My point if I had the hundreds of thousands of dollars in R&D that has been dumped in dodge autos alone not counting alli and torq I could make a medium duty trans that shifts just as fast. I could shave a lot of weight. Oh and I Do have to worry about my trans going poop. No a medium is not the silver bullet and in fact I did not say it was. Just saying think outside the box, and you might find the answer your looking for. Its take the benifits from the all types (I also mentioned Heavy duty) and apply them in one seemless package. I was only trying to voice my opinion in hopes it would help solve your issues.

Craig@MFI

Reaction score
NADP do any trannies for the 6.4? Never heard Shawn complain about the tranny in his race truck.. (6.4s are on a new level now LOL)

and shawn has his refrehed all the time...i believe hes only a few miles from him

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.