Powerflyte

jdgleason

Reaction score
it's already proven time and time again behind engines making far more torque than a V8 diesel... The design is based on a tried and true 70's design with a long history of drag racing builds.

There's so much R&D in making them hold up and they're so simple to control.

Not saying it's the best option for everybody, but if I was building an all out drag truck, I'd put a 47/48 in it no matter what diesel engine was in front of it

Are you saying the 4 and 5r have been disproven? I understand it's been around longer.... But that's like saying advancements in technology are making no progress. Show me numbers or a shred of proof that a 47 or 48 holds up better (apples to apples of course) than a 4r or 5r. To my knowledge it's never been tested. Which would pook like this: Say Aaron makes ten passes on a 5r before it fails, and 30 on a 47/48. Then I'll buy it.

jdgleason

Reaction score
The 5r is pretty new to the 1,000 hp level. The 47/48 have been there for years. For being new and Obviously at a disadvantage because of that, they are doing pretty well. The new HD converter was a game changer, and I think these trannies will live just fine with some more tweaking.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
One nice thing about spooling fast is you can wait on the other guy and spool quick as soon as he gets lit up. Nitrous is perfect foe that ESP up here with some altitude

Which is why I have stuck with a standard stall suncoast and had good luck.

The first higher stall converter I had basically lasted thru the Dpc and that was it. Even at low HP numbers.

Forest is 100% correct about the high stall.speed killing converters fast.

Craig what stall is in your truck?

Part of the reason I haven't done a HD sucoast yet is because it only comes in higher stalls then what's in my truck now.

Mike@MPD

Reaction score
It is nice to spool quick but sometimes like in Craig's case this weekend you end up getting burned by a truck that spools almost as quick but just sits there. Craig has the higher stall hd converter

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Have you guys ever ran Craig's setup with a factory stall? I still just can't help but believe the staging is putting tremendous stress on the converters. I mean, you guys made half the passes on an HD that Aaron has. Something to think about.

I wonder what the thrust bearing looks like in Craig's truck...

Mike@MPD

Reaction score
Nope never tried it and you are also dd Craig's and adding 1800 lbs to Aaron's truck

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

Powersmoker

Reaction score
Like what someone said before, Buck Spruill swears by the duraflite and has proved it to be a solid unit. Dimitri's truck on the other hand hasn't had much luck with a duraflite, but it's a much heavier truck. I think weight is the key factor here; Lower weight means less stress on parts. It doesn't matter what transmission you have, you're gonna have transmission failures at 1,000k plus. They all have failures...Smitty, Stuckey, Dockboy, Rudy's etc...etc. The 4r100 is a pretty stout transmission IMO, I haven't had a transmission failure in about a year and half. I did have a convertor issue back in January though. I'm running a spragless PI with a stock stall speed.

Craig@MFI

Reaction score
From what I've been told the hs converter is and was supposed to hold this high stall and is built just for these reasons and conditions

Craig@MFI

Reaction score
Have you guys ever ran Craig's setup with a factory stall? I still just can't help but believe the staging is putting tremendous stress on the converters. I mean, you guys made half the passes on an HD that Aaron has. Something to think about.

I wonder what the thrust bearing looks like in Craig's truck...

Yes I ran a factory 6.4 Suncoast stall in it still smoked it

Aaron's truck weighs alot less than mine and he also has high stall

Sequential6.4L

Reaction score
The 5r110 really isnt that bad i have found how to get the clutchs to hold with out any of them burning up only thing i cant find is a good converter ive tried normal suncoast suncoast hd lasting the least now i currently have a ats 5 disc converter in it
let us know how that 5 disc ats works out for you, I have one in my truck and it work well but I dont use it like you do lol

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
It didn't. It's garbage already.

MPD is working with Phil Taylor on a new option for the 6.4 guys. Interested to hear thresukts

Craig@MFI

Reaction score
Yes ats converter sucks soon as the turbo lights it blows through it
And it was brand new when I started with it

Marty

Reaction score
I have not hit 1000+ but I am running a BTS with a spragless converter. I am still daily driving the same transmission as all of my 11 second passes, most of my low 12 second passes and every pulling event I attended in 2009. My truck has weighed anywhere from 7200-7600 when drag racing. I still go wot just about every day. Prior to going with the spragless I went through converters pretty often.

I'm currently installing a wastegated setup behind my s475 and put 400% nozzles back on my 400cc injectors..... I plan to make a few passes soon.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online