pulled over for HIDs

Lowdown89

Reaction score
The problem is all the projector housings you can buy even if they aren't really made for HIDs but could possibly work and make things a little better are ugly as sin! I have yet to see an affordable projector style housing that doesn't look like something out of the fast and the furious with all sorts of extra do dads and what not in the light.... I want to be able to see not look like I'm driving something from the Mexican circus. Also the stock housings in the 99-01 trucks make the light really scatter bad it's a little better with the clear housings in the newer trucks. For now I just keep my lights aimed down as far as possible while still being able to see and only run the 4300-5000k bulbs. What I don't like is the really blue/purple/pink whatever Color bulbs that really make things worse and looks like chit

moose99psd

Reaction score
maybe if ANY of the "projector" headlights be it hid or halogen housings looked even MODERATELY ok people would use them but they all look like gay pieces of ****..

Lowdown89

Reaction score
maybe if ANY of the "projector" headlights be it hid or halogen housings looked even MODERATELY ok people would use them but they all look like gay pieces of ****..

Haha read my post above yours, we pretty much had the same idea at the same time... A housing with just a projector in it would be fine but the ones they offer now look like something you would find in a Tijuana abortion clinic

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
I am also on the general list of HID haters. I am way sick of being blinded. I think a few vehicles would get some attention from me if I was working at night.

I assume you are referring to the guys that install them in the incorrect housings to be able to control the light - not necessary HIDs in general. I don't think anyone complains about the OEM apps that they are in (BMWs for instance). The problem is the proliferation of the HID bulb that also has the same base as the halogen by aftermarket companies. Its a "cheap" way to get HID light - but it SUCKS - and gives HIDs a bad name.

In my opinion there is nothing worse than a vehicle with POOR HID lighting coming at you down the road - it ranks right up there with smoking out 4 highway lanes because you think its cool.

Corb@CorbinShipping

Reaction score
I assume you are referring to the guys that install them in the incorrect housings to be able to control the light - not necessary HIDs in general. I don't think anyone complains about the OEM apps that they are in (BMWs for instance). The problem is the proliferation of the HID bulb that also has the same base as the halogen by aftermarket companies. Its a "cheap" way to get HID light - but it SUCKS - and gives HIDs a bad name.

In my opinion there is nothing worse than a vehicle with POOR HID lighting coming at you down the road - it ranks right up there with smoking out 4 highway lanes because you think its cool.

Agreed. I run HIDs in all four of my front lights. Headlights and fog lamps. Properly installed, and aimed, I offend no one, except for the Nissan and Honda, 2 fast 2 furious, lowrider crowds.... But that happened before I went HID as well...

But idiots that think it is cool to blind other drivers, with their "way cool" HIDs, do give the rest of us a bad name. Just as you referenced the "smoke out four lanes of traffic" sheet heads....

corb

jkidd_39

Reaction score
Haha. That got everyone awake.

I have 5000k lights and I set them up low and I never get flashed. If I'm in my other truck being followed with my truck with hids they don't blind me.

These lights are the best non engine thing I have done to my truck.

I don't purposely go out to blind people but after seeing the difference in how much I can see I will never go back.

If there is something out there that is a hid approved set up for our trucks I certainly would give it a look.

But like hrt said the price for doing his duramax was $700 iirc. My set up cost $300 and I haven't even installed my fog lights yet.

If you guys hate hids so much then let's find a middle ground. Which I think would be the hid housings. Now fight some more!!! Maybe dp tuner will build some hids and we will get Joe back and really get this thread hopping

JD3020

Reaction score
The main thing is to set your light down with HIDs. I do a lot of night driving pulling equipment all over the country. All my trucks will have HIDs and I really could care less about the other people on the road. Actually I care about them just as much as they care about me.

My vision of my surroundings is priority number one.

Does anyone even make a HID designed housing for a superduty???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk while pulling a 36ft gooseneck and not paying attention to the road.

Its ***kers like you that i'm with the others that want some HID laws enforced. Last night was our big indoor truck pulls, so there were a ****load of trucks out and about in the area, and a lot with HID's. Get on the receiving end sometime when you can't see **** cause your blinded by em. Or have some douche with em behind you, and you have to turn all of your mirrors out because the amount of light in your mirrors is enough to blind you.

I'm all for giving yourself more light to see with when driving, but when your putting other peoples in danger because your blinding them, then your doing it wrong. I don't hate HID's, i just hate how people use em anymore.

morefuel

Reaction score
I had hids in a stock the aftermarket clear housing and the light wasn't that great better than stock but I got the brights from some people. I went to the the hideous ebay projectors and now i can see better and they do not blind people but they are extremely hard to adjust.

Not all cars equipped with factory hids use projectors. The higher end tomatoe sienna has them in the low beam and the prius have what appears to be both high and low beam in a reflector housing.

Lowdown89

Reaction score
I had hids in a stock the aftermarket clear housing and the light wasn't that great better than stock but I got the brights from some people. I went to the the hideous ebay projectors and now i can see better and they do not blind people but they are extremely hard to adjust.

Not all cars equipped with factory hids use projectors. The higher end tomatoe sienna has them in the low beam and the prius have what appears to be both high and low beam in a reflector housing.

Thats the thing the eBay projectors look like absolute ASS! If I could find an all black set with out all the extra doodads on them I would buy them today I habe been thinking about buying a set then taking them apart and painting all the extra crap black... I have to run HIDs with my tinted windshield of not I can't see chit but I do try to make it where other people aren't annoyed by me on the road

jkidd_39

Reaction score
I don't hate HID's, i just hate how people use em anymore.

I agree totally. I've been blinded too. If you adjust them properly then you won't be putting anyone in danger.

I adjusted mine and no issues. Then I put a heavy load on the back and they were too high. So I had to lower them again.

I think as with all things (diesel trucks, guns, smoking) it's the dumb@ss using them wrong. Not the product.

CamTom12

Reaction score
Borrowing from Crowz a bit here:

Stock:
dscn0797.jpg

HIDs:
dscn0810.jpg

These are HIDs in factory reflectors. They don't seem to disperse the light too bad.

There's quite a few HID conversions up here as it gets dark for a long time every year. I've seen some that make me want to punch the guy, but most look like brighter factory lights. Any my eyes have been light-sensitive since my eye surgery in '05.

Though a bunch get the 6k and up, I'm not down with the blue light for my truck - I'll go with a 4.3K I think.

yeehaw

Reaction score
i have only used my fogs on the street ONE time, and it was one in the morning and literally no one else on the back roads. My left headlight is aimed down as far as it will go, and my right one is aimed up so i can see the ditch but not too bad. Haven't gotten flashed yet. Even had a few people ask what headlights i had then ordered a set.

tmillburg

Reaction score
i dont are about the halo housing i run my hids in the factory lights, typically run my fogs, i live in the country and someone being blind for 40 sec. is better than me not being able to see that 12 point.....

Translated from Morse Code

Ipkyss

Reaction score
I have 55watt 6000k hid's aimed a little low and have never had an issue with people flashing me. They are bright. But not really bad. I use the 35watt fogs as my high beams. The fog lights seem to scatter the light a lot more than the head lights... The fogs really seem to piss people off.

I am having thoughts of replacing the factory fogs with Ridgid duallys. And maybe adding the 20" strip up front. Then some ridgid dually reverse lights. Yes, A ridgid spending spree is about to happen.

Last edited:

Zmann

Reaction score
i dont are about the halo housing i run my hids in the factory lights, typically run my fogs, i live in the country and someone being blind for 40 sec. is better than me not being able to see that 12 point.....

Translated from Morse Code

reminds Me of post 15

jkidd_39

Reaction score
reminds Me of post 15

Not really... I use them for the intended purpose and don't blind anyone. I drive 80-100k miles a year with my trucks. I am curtious and safe. Liability insurance for my company is way too high as is to drive like a jack@ss

Nice avatar pic btw. I have the same color Kr under the knife for a cummins convo

Super08Duty

Reaction score
I got pulled over for mine as well about a year ago by a texas state trooper. He said i was driving with my brights on. I told him i was driving with my low beams on and he started asking me stupid questions, like how many candle power they were and if i had the receipt for them. Ended up with like 4 warnings. for all my lights. even for my recons.

Latest posts

Members online