pulled over for HIDs

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
Borrowing from Crowz a bit here:

Stock:
dscn0797.jpg

HIDs:
dscn0810.jpg

These are HIDs in factory reflectors. They don't seem to disperse the light too bad.

There's quite a few HID conversions up here as it gets dark for a long time every year. I've seen some that make me want to punch the guy, but most look like brighter factory lights. Any my eyes have been light-sensitive since my eye surgery in '05.

Though a bunch get the 6k and up, I'm not down with the blue light for my truck - I'll go with a 4.3K I think.

Impressive results for sure - but I tend to think that is an atypical setup as that does not seem to be the norm from the HIDs that I see running around here.

cfdeng7

Reaction score
Impressive results for sure - but I tend to think that is an atypical setup as that does not seem to be the norm from the HIDs that I see running around here.

My hids in 05-07 headlights look like that as well. Fairly crisp cutoff and with them aimed properly I never get highbeamed. The foglights are a different story. Even with the bulbs capped they scatter light everywhere.

MustangMatt96GT

Reaction score
Here's a writeup I found about doing projectors in the housing.

http://powerstrokenation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116437

Here is what the light cutoff looked like... I aimed them properly in a parking garage too.

Low Beam

153363de.jpg

High Beam

828452d4.jpg

I drove to montana and back mostly through the night and I never once had anybody flash me. I actually no longer have the dually, but in the 4 months or so I had them NOT one person flashed me.

I will not do HIDs in anything unless its the proper way. I spend just shy of 400 dollars doing this conversion.

skew12

Reaction score
Here is what the light cutoff looked like... I aimed them properly in a parking garage too.

Low Beam

153363de.jpg

High Beam

828452d4.jpg

I drove to montana and back mostly through the night and I never once had anybody flash me. I actually no longer have the dually, but in the 4 months or so I had them NOT one person flashed me.

I will not do HIDs in anything unless its the proper way. I spend just shy of 400 dollars doing this conversion.

How could I go about doin the same conversion? That's one clean line for aftermarket.

mooring product

Reaction score
^Exactly!

HID's don't belong in reflector housings designed for Halogen bulbs. Personally, I love to see the anti-HID laws enforced if they're in the incorrect housings. If you have them in an HID specific projector, then all the power to ya, you'll have far better light output and other people on the road won't have to deal with your ignorance . . .

This coming from someone that spends a lot of time on the road making a living. Nothing more annoying than trying to see your lane with a prick with crappy lights coming at you, be it in a car, my pickup or the semi.

More laws...that's what we need.

A well aimed set up works great. I have been blinded by projector set ups also...maybe we should just turn off our lights so you stop crying.

91turbogsx

Reaction score
More laws...that's what we need.

A well aimed set up works great. I have been blinded by projector set ups also...maybe we should just turn off our lights so you stop crying.

He mentioned HID specific projector. Most projector HID setups you see are housings designed for halogens.

I*C*B*M

Reaction score
I'll add my 2 cents here. I like the idea of HID's, but I too see too many shoddy ass installs. You'd be surprised how bad these things suck when you're in the bigtruck. I live in quite a rural area too. I've found the silver stars to be more than adequate. I actually get flashed with these quite often. Oh well. I guess I'm not opposed to having them....just don't be a dick! Plus, it's just one more reason to get pulled over after having a drink or two with dinner. No good.

Super08Duty

Reaction score
i get blinded more often by people with factory cadillac lights and poorly aimed halogen lights. If your getting flashed too much, aim them down. easy enough, no reason to try and make a law against HIDs when most people use them for better lighting.

Reaction score
I got flashed twice with silver stars probably 3 years ago. After aiming the driver side down a little, I've never been flashed since. I should have my Retro Solutions HIDs next week and if they spread out too much and I get flashed even once, Silverstars will take their place again. I've been blinded tons of times by kids with lifted trucks and poorly aimed HIDs and I can't stand it. After driving a truck with HIDs, I'm going to give it a shot, but I'm not down with blinding everyone. Especially since 90% of my driving is done at night.

Last edited:

yeehaw

Reaction score
i have only used my fogs on the street ONE time, and it was one in the morning and literally no one else on the back roads. My left headlight is aimed down as far as it will go, and my right one is aimed up so i can see the ditch but not too bad. Haven't gotten flashed yet. Even had a few people ask what headlights i had then ordered a set.

apparently i jynxed myself, last two weeks here i get flashed the high beams at least 2-3 times a night

6.4psd916

Reaction score
The hid kit I have spaces the bulb back close to the factory location. Mine are not fuzzy at all. But my fogs are bad, only use them when needed.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
I'll add my 2 cents here. I like the idea of HID's, but I too see too many shoddy ass installs. You'd be surprised how bad these things suck when you're in the bigtruck. I live in quite a rural area too. I've found the silver stars to be more than adequate. I actually get flashed with these quite often. Oh well. I guess I'm not opposed to having them....just don't be a dick! Plus, it's just one more reason to get pulled over after having a drink or two with dinner. No good.

I've said this before... If you need more light then a well aimed set of silverstars, then you need to get your eyes adjusted, not brighter bulbs.

HID's suck, period.

Latest posts

Members online