Racer x transmissions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oneton

Reaction score
anybody using a racerx converter?besides in one of their built trannys

chappy

Reaction score
Cat was running one of there convertors and liked it. The only thing of racer x I have ran is there VB. I was really happy with it and He was great to talk to on the phone.

powerstrokenstang

Reaction score
anybody using a racerx converter?besides in one of their built trannys
i have one and one of there vb in my 2000. works great, its just a tow rig for my puller w/ stage 2 injectors. gross about 21-22000 all the time.

Care to share thoughts as to why?

Just about everyone, including trans builders, that I've talked to feel the same way.
As long as the wheels are spinning faster than ground speed, there's less stress on the trans.

i think it depends on how you shift, like down shifting at the end tq lock. drag racing is just like beating on it on the street but i can see where racing would be harder on the converter as long as you lock it when pulling.

Tom S

Reaction score
So what was the price deference between the two shops?

TyCorr

Reaction score
So what was the price deference between the two shops?

Tom I believe its a wash. Honestly.

4928 for racer x with everything you need(fluid, tranny lines, new sensors, x6tc billet convertor, a cooler that is slightly larger than the 6l cooler) Built for use at 700hp but Ron over there said there's about a 200hp safety factored in. I gave them that number since I want to put 300/200's in and add an atmospheric charger and all the other stuff to make it all work, which would be at or near that hp level.

BTS is 4500 installed and that includes fluid only. Coolers cost whatever the current going rate is on them plus installation, plus lines if ya want new lines going from the trans to the cooler.

All said the bts would be 5100 or so installed if you go to the shop to have it done, the right way.

The racerx would leave you with enough to buy a tank of fuel or 5 gal of fluid. Racerx will send the trans to one of their authorized installers and you drive there and write out a check for 4928. THey install it and you're on your way. The closest racerx dealer is only about 40 minutes from my house so thats a plus, honestly. Although I was prepared to drive to Arkansas too.

Racer x and BTS are similar in price but if you add in everything racerx includes Brian would be a little more. Minus costs to travel, lodging, etc...

TyCorr

Reaction score
Well I say give it a shot. He is a good guy from my dealings.

Honestly, thus far w/o even a phone call they've made me the most comfortable. I did talk to Ron on the phone however.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I had about maybe 3k tops in mine having a local guy put it together w racer parts.

I already tried that route. The guy right by my shop for work said he builds transmissions for racecars and high perf streetcars but when I walked in and said I wanted a trans for a 500horse diesel he went cold. "We built a couple of those. We dont do them anymore."

Im guessing he had some blow up.

There is another shop by my aunts restaurant that has been around since 1961 and they said they'd do it no problem. But the only truck I saw in there was a 90's Dodge Dakota with a 318 in it. I know there's a used car dealership that uses them but Im not sure.

My dad says the guy who works on his Peterbilt with a cat in it told my dad he can work on p/u's with diesels in em too. Im sure one of these options would produce a decent trans but how do you pick one?

Racerx has a rebuild with, I believe, 4 clutch discs in the convertor and upgraded steels and external filtration and custom valve body for 3500 but I dont know how much power its designed to hold? Its gotta be better than a stock 4r100 is.

Lowdown89

Reaction score
Racerx told me with what I wanted to do with 250/200s and other mods I had planned the best bet would be their 600hp trans and it would be $4250 that seems a little high when you can get a BTS for $5k I'm wondering what the difference is in the "600hp" trans and say there next one down

Diezel Dawg

Reaction score
My suggestion is to get a hold of CaryT(OBSWIZ) and let him deal with brian, you probably could have had a build date by now

chappy

Reaction score
I already tried that route. The guy right by my shop for work said he builds transmissions for racecars and high perf streetcars but when I walked in and said I wanted a trans for a 500horse diesel he went cold. "We built a couple of those. We dont do them anymore."

Im guessing he had some blow up.

There is another shop by my aunts restaurant that has been around since 1961 and they said they'd do it no problem. But the only truck I saw in there was a 90's Dodge Dakota with a 318 in it. I know there's a used car dealership that uses them but Im not sure.

My dad says the guy who works on his Peterbilt with a cat in it told my dad he can work on p/u's with diesels in em too. Im sure one of these options would produce a decent trans but how do you pick one?Racerx has a rebuild with, I believe, 4 clutch discs in the convertor and upgraded steels and external filtration and custom valve body for 3500 but I dont know how much power its designed to hold? Its gotta be better than a stock 4r100 is.

I would not go local with my findings. I have seen it time and time again on psn and with my own dealings. I went to a retired ford tech that only did trannie. H ws suppose to be the man at building 4r100's and told me how I could throw anything I wanted at it horsepowr wise and do any offroading I wanted with it and it was a 1 year unlimited warrenty. I told him I was gonna sled pull and go to silverlake sand dunes with it. He said no problem he know many trucks with more power then mine that could take it at the dunes. So 13 months later the convertor comes apart on me. Well its not under warrenty anymore so I pay for a new convertor this time ATI on my own against his suggestions. He tore the trans apart and cleaned everything and says the clutchs look brand new but the planetary is bad so $900 later I'm off. 2 weeks goes by and I am pulling a friends truck out of a field that is stuck and I lose second gear. I go back to the trans guyand he says well I don't know what your doing with the truck but this won't be covered under warrenty and I will have to charge you again for all the seals and whatever you broke. So do it right the first time please. I could have bought almost 2 bts's or racer x's by the time I was done.

Last edited:

TyCorr

Reaction score
My suggestion is to get a hold of CaryT(OBSWIZ) and let him deal with brian, you probably could have had a build date by now

Cary has been helping me, fyi. If I get a bts its either gonna be from him or from a referral on his behalf to Brian, which wouldnt really help him out in the $$ dept.

If I get a BTS, Cary is gonna be my contact. He made a heck of an offer already to get me one drop shipped. He's been great!

TyCorr

Reaction score
Racerx told me with what I wanted to do with 250/200s and other mods I had planned the best bet would be their 600hp trans and it would be $4250 that seems a little high when you can get a BTS for $5k I'm wondering what the difference is in the "600hp" trans and say there next one down

There is no "next one down". You'd have to pick a hp goal that was lower and they'd take into consideration what you planned to do with it. May sell you the same trans as quoted above. I was right at the same price until I said I was planning on adding another turbo once I got the inj's done and all the valvework updated. They said they'd have to mod the internals and add some more parts to hold that kind of power. The 4928 I was quoted is by no means the end of the road there. You tell him how much power you're trying to harness and they build to make it work. Sky could be the limit!

My understanding is you can buy any of the parts that go into ANY of racer x's trannys but its the machining and setup that are proprietary when they physically build your transmission. In fact, if you select one of their authorized dealers to handle it they still build the trans and ship it out. The shop would install it though.

I dont really think BTS would be any cheaper or necessarily better. They are both good. Racerx has E4OD's that are holding up in 800+hp obs trucks.

I also heard that David Lott has started building custom 4r100's now too.

I think I wanna get the racer x just so I have something different. I cant really find anyone that is running one firsthand though.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I would not go local with my findings. I have seen it time and time again on psn and with my own dealings. I went to a retired ford tech that only did trannie. H ws suppose to be the man at building 4r100's and told me how I could throw anything I wanted at it horsepowr wise and do any offroading I wanted with it and it was a 1 year unlimited warrenty. I told him I was gonna sled pull and go to silverlake sand dunes with it. He said no problem he know many trucks with more power then mine that could take it at the dunes. So 13 months later the convertor comes apart on me. Well its not under warrenty anymore so I pay for a new convertor this time ATI on my own against his suggestions. He tore the trans apart and cleaned everything and says the clutchs look brand new but the planetary is bad so $900 later I'm off. 2 weeks goes by and I am pulling a friends truck out of a field that is stuck and I lose second gear. I go back to the trans guyand he says well I don't know what your doing with the truck but this won't be covered under warrenty and I will have to charge you again for all the seals and whatever you broke. So do it right the first time please. I could have bought almost 2 bts's or racer x's by the time I was done.

Im gonna have to agree with you here. I dont want to shell out the coin for someone who thinks they can do it. I had my brakes done by a shop last summer and wound up pulling it apart two weeks later :doh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online