Racer x transmissions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TyCorr

Reaction score
dmd, again, this isnt a bts vs racerx thread. I KNOW bts is good. 4500 isnt a bad price, its not cheap or economical but its fair for the amount of workmanship.

Racer x makes and customizes all their own parts too. Aaaaand they include EVERYTHING you need in their pricing. Brian does NOT do that. Although I have been told he leans on people to use a 6l cooler. Which is fine but put that in as part of the build. You NEED it right?

TyCorr

Reaction score
AAMCO! ha ha...they couldnt build a transmission to hold in my 99 ranger! I had them do one for me so I could trade the truck in the next month and it crapped out after three weeks! ha ha... I told them to rebuild it again and Ill drive it straight to the trade-in.

genie144

Reaction score
Racer x makes and customizes all their own parts too. Aaaaand they include EVERYTHING you need in their pricing. Brian does NOT do that. Although I have been told he leans on people to use a 6l cooler. Which is fine but put that in as part of the build. You NEED it right?
What about a warranty??? I think that is fairly important and according to MY conversation with X... Well, good luck...

And an upgraded cooler is required... Not necessarily a 6L - that is why it isn't included.

Sam

TyCorr

Reaction score
What about a warranty??? I think that is fairly important and according to MY conversation with X... Well, good luck...

And an upgraded cooler is required... Not necessarily a 6L - that is why it isn't included.

Sam

I guess you'd have to tell me exactly what you said to them about warranty. I told them everything that I wanted to do with my truck, everything! They said as long as the truck is lic/registered and I do drive it they can give the 2yr warranty. If a truck isnt registered and over 500hp the trans was considered to be a 'race transmission' and isnt warrantied.

Thats pretty clear and common way to address warranty issues.

If this isnt what you are talking about speak up. Or pm me.

Barnabas

Reaction score
I guess you'd have to tell me exactly what you said to them about warranty. I told them everything that I wanted to do with my truck, everything! They said as long as the truck is lic/registered and I do drive it they can give the 2yr warranty. If a truck isnt registered and over 500hp the trans was considered to be a 'race transmission' and isnt warrantied.

Thats pretty clear and common way to address warranty issues.

If this isnt what you are talking about speak up. Or pm me.

why wont they warranty over 500?? or is that just for the level of build you wanted?

TyCorr

Reaction score
why wont they warranty over 500?? or is that just for the level of build you wanted?

Read what I said in the post you quoted. It all comes down to the vehicle being licensed/registered. A dd gets the warranty. Anything over 500hp gets lumped in with the registered/dd/occasional racing or pulling OR a dedicated puller/racer. If you're truck has plates and you tell them I wanna pull the sled they'll make sure its up to the task and they'll give you the warranty along with it.

No plates and over 500hp you're a race vehicle and there is NO warranty.

On edit: I was quoted for a trans to hold 700hp. Thats what I disclosed at the start of this thread.

Barnabas

Reaction score
Read what I said in the post you quoted. It all comes down to the vehicle being licensed/registered. A dd gets the warranty. Anything over 500hp gets lumped in with the registered/dd/occasional racing or pulling OR a dedicated puller/racer. If you're truck has plates and you tell them I wanna pull the sled they'll make sure its up to the task and they'll give you the warranty along with it.

No plates and over 500hp you're a race vehicle and there is NO warranty.

On edit: I was quoted for a trans to hold 700hp. Thats what I disclosed at the start of this thread.

gotcha :thumbsup: I missed the AND unregistered :doh:

If you get one be sure to post up reviews. They are much closer to me then BTS and from what is in this thread seem to be better priced as well. I have time to think for awhile before I need a trans I just want to be prepared once I do need it :postwhore2:

Racer X

Reaction score
I went through a similar debate a few years ago when I was deciding on the transmission for my OBS. I decided to go with a used BTS... The decision wasn't based on $. I was not convinced by RacerX that they had a warranty if something happened. I spoke with them on a number of occasions as I was making my decision and every time I wanted to talk specifics of warranty or support after purchase I didn't hear anything that gave me confidence...

Sam

:shocked: :shocked: Shocked....

No one from Racer X will comment on our products until the management is contacted about it's rules for posting by Sponsors of other sites. Some don't mind, others definately do.

`

Last edited:

TyCorr

Reaction score
Looks like the soup just got some spice thrown into it.

:popcorn:

Racer X

Reaction score
There are a few discrepancies in this thread we will be addressing privately.

Meanwhile, is there an off topic forum?

Grabbed a piece of metal when I heard RATTLESNAKE!!!
Luckily, I got em. :bowfast:

big_rattlesnake.jpg
`

Tom S

Reaction score
There are a few discrepancies in this thread we will be addressing privately.

Meanwhile, is there an off topic forum?

Grabbed a piece of metal when I heard RATTLESNAKE!!!
Luckily, I got em. :bowfast:

big_rattlesnake.jpg
`

Nice, there is a general and a more serious AWOL section downstairs. Rules here are pretty much the same as the old site so you should feel at home.

Tom

imelmo

Reaction score

:shocked: :shocked: Shocked....

No one from Racer X will comment on our products until the management is contacted about it's rules for posting by Sponsors of other sites. Some don't mind, others definately do.

`

You can post in this thread all you want since it wasn't started by you or a customer (just someone looking for info).

dmd

Reaction score
What happens if it breaks after 2 years? You pay parts and labor, or just parts?

TARM

Reaction score
So BTS is warrantied for 2 years during which he pays all shipping, parts and labor. Then after that only parts and labor are covered for life of the tranny no matter what the HP or Tq no matter what the vehicle race off road racing etc.. no matter how many times its sold to different people or put into different vehicles or behind different motors

Racer X is 2 yr is registered street and no warranty if over 500 HP and unregistered. How exactly do they decided how much power you are making? By parts combo or a dyno and if the later which one or type? Is the various power limits at the flywheel or the rear wheels? Would not a tranny be more concerned with TQ not HP? I would think a 400 hp 1500 ft tq motor would tear a tranny up worse that a 600 HP 1000 ft tq motor. What support or coverage do they offer after the initial 2 years of the warranty? What exactly is covered in the 2 yrs?

Also are there any restriction on what tuners tunes you are allowed to use? Say Swamps instead of DP or Gearhead instead of PHP, Beans, or Cales or do they insist on only one tuner such as DP?

Do you get a full WRITTEN warranty? Could we see a posted example of it?

Last edited:

Tom S

Reaction score
I am glad Racer X is here. He does have his own unique posting style.

Reaction score
My experience has been great with RacerX. Built a transmission for for me two years ago. My goal for the truck was right around 400hp so yes a BTS would be great its more than I needed. If I remember correctly a stage1 build was 34 or 3600--with 30k tru cool and shipping it was right @ 4000.

About a week after I shipped the transmission down to him, he called me up to say that one of their machines had broke and it would take him a week to get the parts(or whatever) to be back up and running for the machining of the housing. For the extra wait and down time of my truck he upgraded to the next level build--TC, shafts and a steel tail section. Even setup shipping for me to return my core.

Great guy to deal with

TARM

Reaction score
I think we have all talked about how trans can break no matter how great they are made and its what a a company does with warranty issues that really makes the difference.

In that light has anyone had a racer X tranny that had an issue and what was their experience when dealing with Racer X on that issue and getting it resolved?

To me that is what its all gonna boil down to. Being smart as a whip, making great parts in house building awesome trannys, so and so is a great guy and will take care of you .... is all great but in the end stuff breaks and how a company stands behind there work is what matters. Real situations where there has been issue and how its been handled. When looking at a shop where I am gonna be spending what may end up being the largest cost single item of the truck short of the trucks actual purchase price I want to know with considerable certainty how issues will be handled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online