Rudy's first Tow Power-X/stock fuel build

Corb@CorbinShipping

Reaction score
We need updates.. nowish..

My rig as back at Aaron's. He is now fixing what another shop messed up... seems he has to do that on a few rigs nowadays... The gears were jacked up bad. I had 4.10 gears put in a month or so ago, and they look horrible. only made contact with 1/8th of an inch of the ring. bad... and they forgot to put some of the parts back in there, so when Aaron's crew tried to fix it, they couldnt, due to not being able to put it together properly, so they had to buy more parts.....

LESSON OF THE DAY: GO TO RUDY'S FIRST.......

the new trans is in, and ready to roll the dyno, but, not gonna happen till the rear end is together.... YAY!

Corb@CorbinShipping

Reaction score
You know, it could always be worse.... I could have had my 16,600 pounds of toy hauler on the 5th wheel, and then blew my rear gears to hell.... However, I knew something wasn't right, so I asked Aaron to check it out. He took a picture and sent it to me, and I was happy that I did want him to take a look. These gears in the pic below have less than 10,000 miles on them. Around 6,000 to 7,000 if I can add halfway descent...

just to repeat the LESSON OF THE DAY: GO TO RUDY'S FIRST...

Attachments

• IMG_0402.JPG
    IMG_0402.JPG
    201.6 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:

Corb@CorbinShipping

Reaction score
This is for Aaron and Dave. This is how I spent my Thursday afternoon...I had my dog strapped to me, and we fell out of an airplane at 13,800 feet.... And my legs didn't fly off! lol!

Attachments

• IMG_9615.jpg
    IMG_9615.jpg
    449.6 KB · Views: 147

Ipkyss

Reaction score
looks like they forgot to put the pinion shims back in all together...

Corb@CorbinShipping

Reaction score
looks like they forgot to put the pinion shims back in all together...

They forgot a whole lot of stuff, from what I hear... I'll be paying them a visit, with destroyed parts, pictures and a bill. This place is pretty reputable within the jeep community, and has been around for a while. I believe that he will try to do the right thing by me.

Lowdown89

Reaction score
This is for Aaron and Dave. This is how I spent my Thursday afternoon...I had my dog strapped to me, and we fell out of an airplane at 13,800 feet.... And my legs didn't fly off! lol!

I swear man you have the best outlook on thing I have ever seen! I don't drink but anytime you are near Greenville,SC let me know... The beer is on me!

tbsimmons

Reaction score
Looks to be too much shim to me. Been a couple of years since I have done gears but I seem to remember it being backwards. To much shim would put it on the outside of the ring gear. It could also be they didnt crush the sleeve all the way.
I have a set of bearings and a crush sleeve that I use to get all the shims right. THe bearings slide on and off. Once I get the shims right then I use a press.
Gears should not whine. If they do they were not set up right.
Most problems can go back to the pinion, either depth or not being tight.

Ipkyss

Reaction score
Looks to be too much shim to me. Been a couple of years since I have done gears but I seem to remember it being backwards. To much shim would put it on the outside of the ring gear. It could also be they didnt crush the sleeve all the way.
I have a set of bearings and a crush sleeve that I use to get all the shims right. THe bearings slide on and off. Once I get the shims right then I use a press.
Gears should not whine. If they do they were not set up right.
Most problems can go back to the pinion, either depth or not being tight.

I would guess that if they just swapped the gears and swapped the pinion shims from the old one to the new one. They would have been a lot closer than that. From what I am looking at. The pinion is too far a way from the carrier. It needs more shim behind the pinion. As bad as it looks, Its not off by that much. Maybe 0.010 behind the pinion and move the carrier a way from the pinion 0.010. I have done gear swaps that take two hours and some that have taken 12 hours to get perfect for race buggys. It gets frustrating if you are trying to hurry.

Boostfed

Reaction score
The pinion was obviously not shimmed right. They had shims between the housing and inner bearing race on the pinion. Not really sure why but it was not correct at all. The sleeve was crushed. When Lee put it all back together and tried to get the sleeve to crush, he ran out of threads on the pinion before the sleeve crushed. We guessed that they put the shims in to remedy that issue since the pinion we put in and the one that was pulled out are identical. We're going to set up from scratch now as soon as we get ahold of the special tools to do so.

Ipkyss

Reaction score
The shims between the housing and inner race is normal on many Dana axles. Can't say i have ever had a 10.50 apart so I dont know how its suppose to be.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
I would guess that if they just swapped the gears and swapped the pinion shims from the old one to the new one. They would have been a lot closer than that. From what I am looking at. The pinion is too far a way from the carrier. It needs more shim behind the pinion. As bad as it looks, Its not off by that much. Maybe 0.010 behind the pinion and move the carrier a way from the pinion 0.010. I have done gear swaps that take two hours and some that have taken 12 hours to get perfect for race buggys. It gets frustrating if you are trying to hurry.

For some reason I thought it was backwards from normal thinking. Not enough shows on the inside of the ring gear and too much shows and the outside. Been a while since I have put gears in.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.