School me on 7.3 power handling

Dirty_Stroke

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm looking for a play truck and I've ran across a few 7.3's for cheap. I'm a 6.0 guy and I don't really know a lot about 7.3 performance. I have a few questions if you all would be so kind as to help me out.

1. I was told the early 7.3's (pre-2000) are the ones that can hold serious power because they have forged pistons. Is this true?
2. I was also told that 99 and some early 2000's had forged pistons but had a bigger turbo and intercooler like the later trucks?
3. How much power can these early motors hold?
4. How much power can the 01-03 motors hold?

Thanks in advance guys.

bruce

Reaction score
Are the 94-01 forged rods interchangeable with late 01-03 PMR engines?

you could but its not a good idea unless you're gonna get the entire rotating assembly rebalanced. thats why most just find a forged rod long block and throw it in

loboost

Reaction score
you could but its not a good idea unless you're gonna get the entire rotating assembly rebalanced. thats why most just find a forged rod long block and throw it in

Makes sense. I've got a few sets of forged rods & cranks from 94-98 engines

POWER-STRUCK

Reaction score
Are the 94-01 forged rods interchangeable with late 01-03 PMR engines?
you can put the 94 part# rods into the 01-03's with no problems. if concerned just weigh them on a precision scale and match the weights. unless they have been modified they should be very close

littleredstroker

Reaction score
My Pmr 03 motor said bye at 458. After 13k miles. Swapped in a 200k mile forged rod motor straight across for 500$ a lot easier than tearing a block down to swap in forged rods.
sent while staring at a windowed block

bruce

Reaction score
yeah, i bought a complete 96 engine, sold the stock stuff, sold my low mile pmr engine and came out with money in my pocket.

DIEZEL

Reaction score
Schooling..

.. .. ..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 162

Dirty_Stroke

Reaction score
My Pmr 03 motor said bye at 458. After 13k miles. Swapped in a 200k mile forged rod motor straight across for 500$ a lot easier than tearing a block down to swap in forged rods.
sent while staring at a windowed block

Dang, 458hp scattered it? I was hoping they would hold 550ish. I found a 02 7.3 that I can buy for $2k cash. It's a regular cab long bed but I had visions of a chopped frame and short bed. Now I'm thinking that might not be such a good idea. What kind of power will the forged motors hold?

Pwnm30rdi3

Reaction score
Dang, 458hp scattered it? I was hoping they would hold 550ish. I found a 02 7.3 that I can buy for $2k cash. It's a regular cab long bed but I had visions of a chopped frame and short bed. Now I'm thinking that might not be such a good idea. What kind of power will the forged motors hold?

A good forged motor can hold 600hp+.
I've seen forged motors hold 700hp and I've seen them blow up at 500-600hp. I think a lot of it goes into good tuning and good maintenance.

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
A good forged motor can hold 600hp+.
I've seen forged motors hold 700hp and I've seen them blow up at 500-600hp. I think a lot of it goes into good tuning and good maintenance.

Youre lucky if you can keep a forged rod engine together at 600+ for a long period of time.

Name 3 7.3s that have made 700hp, let alone on stock rods.... I can name 1 that dynod and ran at that level and it popped.

So I beg to differ that you've seen a stock rod 7.3 handle that kind of power.

Rmartin-97

Reaction score
Youre lucky if you can keep a forged rod engine together at 600+ for a long period of time.

Name 3 7.3s that have made 700hp, let alone on stock rods.... I can name 1 that dynod and ran at that level and it popped.

So I beg to differ that you've seen a stock rod 7.3 handle that kind of power.

Obsboysel's truck is over 600 it's goin on two years sprayin the hell out of it. It's not driven daily but every time it runs it's ran hard.

NyCowboy87

Reaction score
There are more over 600hp than everyone thinks. Not everyone that has a hot truck is on the forums posting what numbers they are laying down.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.