sct vs spartan

stoker91

Reaction score
looking at both of these tuners hard,but had a '' diesel expert'' tell me that both spartan and h&s were sub-par to sct,can you guys chime in with your opinion?

sd08

Reaction score
Read up on each one and make a decision based on what your looking for in a tuner . But they all do the same thing performance wise

CamTom12

Reaction score
SCT's canned tunes? Or Matt's or Eric's?

I'll say that any of the guys programming tunes each have their strong points. I've run Matt at Gearhead's, Spartan's, and KEM's. I don't know anyone that's run the canned tunes though.

They're all pretty good IMO. I'm digging Matt's tunes for sure.

jdgleason

Reaction score
The biggest advantage to the SCT is that you can adjust the tuning for dual pumps, injectors, turbos, shifting, etc on the tuner itself. With Spartan, the only way to change up your tunes would be custom, through river city. Not necessarily anything wrong with that, but it isn't free. There are several options available for the SCT though.

Spartan has HANDS DOWN the best gauges on the market though. Nothing nicer.

Reaction score
dont get me started on spartan.. had one freeze while programming.. had to reinstall ford programming on pcm, have 2 keys recut because it wiped out PATS system, and customer had to buy a TCM also.. big ole hassle! but i would highly reccomend SCT like they said above..more options for custom tuning.. GEARHEAD!! FTW!!

WoodBoy

Reaction score
dont get me started on spartan.. had one freeze while programming.. had to reinstall ford programming on pcm, have 2 keys recut because it wiped out PATS system, and customer had to buy a TCM also.. big ole hassle! but i would highly reccomend SCT like they said above..more options for custom tuning.. GEARHEAD!! FTW!!

All tuners will do this if the battery voltage drops down some. Ive seen sct's, dashdaqs, and H&S do it

Crack85

Reaction score
Wow. Knocking the hell out of spartan...only seen one positive thing in this post about spartan n that's about the guages...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

powerstrokin15

Reaction score

All tuners will do this if the battery voltage drops down some. Ive seen sct's, dashdaqs, and H&S do it

:whs: my first tuner on my truck did that. SCT X3 with Innovative tuning. it had low voltage and fried my PCM system.

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score

So you assume that this was a problem related to the tuner? I couldn't tell you how many times I've heard of TCM's being fried while downloading a file with a tuner.....including SCT and H&S. It happens. The TCM and PCM are in a very vulnerable state when being flashed. The smallest thing (bumped cable, low battery voltage, etc.) could cause an issue and you end up with a control module failure. I've loaded hundreds of tunes in my personal truck with no issues. Same tuner I've always had and same TCM I've always had. I know plenty of others who have never had a TCM failure. Most people never have one actually. It's just one of those things that happens.

I'm sorry the issue happened but for you to come on here and act like the issue was because of the Spartan tuner and hurt our reputation in the process is less than respectful in my opinion. You seem to have a good reputation in the diesel community. I expect that you would handle this a little differently considering you are a sponsor.

If you have an issue, try PMing me or emailing me. I'm always willing to help out where I can.

pog

Reaction score
I like the latest spartan 310. I run gearhead race tune as well. They both have their perks. Haven't ran innovative yet. But that's my top three gearhead, spartan and innovative. Biggest diff between gearhead and spartan/innovative is that gearhead race tune is clean power and the other two are dirty mofos

WoodBoy

Reaction score
Wow. Knocking the hell out of spartan...only seen one positive thing in this post about spartan n that's about the guages...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Spartan makes great programs for our trucks. You will love their tunes. I prefer Spartan and SCT over H&S but that is just my opinion.

As for PCM and TCM frying. I always hook a battery charger up if one is nearby. Cheap insurance. I always make sure my auto lights are off, radio off, A/c off, windows down (just incase for whatever reason my doors lock and something happens I will be able to manually unlock my vehicle from the outside and/or i can go about doing things and then come back to my vehicle and reach my tuner through the window and select anything it may ask during the process without opening a door that could potentionally interrupt or cause an abrubt miss during the tuning.) I also unplug any accessories that may be synced to my truck, and 12v plugs. All this is preventative, not garunteed

Reaction score
So you assume that this was a problem related to the tuner? I couldn't tell you how many times I've heard of TCM's being fried while downloading a file with a tuner.....including SCT and H&S. It happens. The TCM and PCM are in a very vulnerable state when being flashed. The smallest thing (bumped cable, low battery voltage, etc.) could cause an issue and you end up with a control module failure. I've loaded hundreds of tunes in my personal truck with no issues. Same tuner I've always had and same TCM I've always had. I know plenty of others who have never had a TCM failure. Most people never have one actually. It's just one of those things that happens.

I'm sorry the issue happened but for you to come on here and act like the issue was because of the Spartan tuner and hurt our reputation in the process is less than respectful in my opinion. You seem to have a good reputation in the diesel community. I expect that you would handle this a little differently considering you are a sponsor.

If you have an issue, try PMing me or emailing me. I'm always willing to help out where I can.

I apologize for sounding like I'm bashing on y'all, now that I read it over it does sound like it. I'm not that type Of person to do that. I guess I was just ranting from dealing with the truck for almost a whole day. Again, the guys who know me, know I don't talk down or bash on other shops or people. So by saying that, no disrespect to y'all or yalls products. Please accept my apologies.

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
I apologize for sounding like I'm bashing on y'all, now that I read it over it does sound like it. I'm not that type Of person to do that. I guess I was just ranting from dealing with the truck for almost a whole day. Again, the guys who know me, know I don't talk down or bash on other shops or people. So by saying that, no disrespect to y'all or yalls products. Please accept my apologies.

It's all good brother. I understand that completely. Apology accepted. Like I said before, if you ever run into any problems or need help with anything, let me know.

SPARTANDIESEL2

Reaction score

Not to stir the pot and cause any more dissention, but......the instructions that we send with EVERY tuner we sell plainly states to hook a battery charger to the truck BEFORE downloading a tune. The screen on the Dashdaq also communicates the statement "DO NOT TURN THE KEY OFF". Choosing "cancel", pressing the power button on the Dashdaq, turning the key off during a download OR.... NOT having a battery charger connected to the truck can and USUALLY WILL fry the TCM (transmission control module). We also heavily stress this to customers who call in to order one of our tuners. Just because it only takes 15 to 35 minutes to load a tune, a lot of folks think....."oh, I have new batteries" or "oh, my voltage won't drop enough to cause any issues". The possibilites are endless for ways to cause issues when administering tunes to these trucks. Occasionally, we hear of Ford techs who mistakenly diagnose (after a download failure) the PCM to be fried when 99% of the time, it is actually the TCM that gets damaged. We hear stories from day to day that would blow your mind. Wives doing the hubby a favor and turning "Joe's" key switch off (doing him a favor). "My buddy interrupted me while downloading a tune, so out of habit, turned the key off--- got out of the truck and then realized my mistake". Unfortunately, this is not a perfect world; nor are there any perfect people. We are here to help any and all who need our assistance and would prefer a call for advice or help BEFORE you do anything you are not sure of. Your apology is accepted and appreciated.......BUT, please let this be an example of how to use good business practice and forum etiquette, and as my Mom would have said "if you don't have anything good to say, just say nothing at all"! (or at least discuss it in private)

Latest posts

Members online