stage one with 1.0 housing

94youngturbo

Reaction score
i was wondering what compressor wheel guys have used with stage ones and 1.0 exhaust housing. i have 1 95 f350 with a 5 speed. it has a intake, exhaust, chip and i will being putting a intercooler on

94youngturbo

Reaction score
the super duty is a better wheel. wicked wheel just stops the surge on super duty because of their .84 exhaust housing. there are of alot of people running stage ones with 1.0 housing. i just don't know if a super duty wheel will surge with that combo

bad12jr

Reaction score
The stock SD wheel is a very aggressive wheel. The wicked wheel/ stock obs wheel is a downgrade from the stock SD. I'm curious if the SD wheel in an obs charger would surge. I'd also stick with the 1.15 housing. It'll spool well with the 160's and not hold it back up top. I have 160s a 1.15 housing in my SD but it has a ported comp housing so no surge. It performs well cleans them up to no smoke even on the big tune.

Sent from my x2 somewhere

bad12jr

Reaction score
A SD wheel will flow more lbhr then the obs wheel which is the reason for the surge.

94youngturbo

Reaction score
i have heard people had 1.15 and put their 1.0 housing and liked it alot better. im just curious abut the compressor wheel they used

bad12jr

Reaction score
I'm running the stocker on my obs with ad's and it'll hit 33 lbs of boost with 37 lbs of backpressure. It is hating life at that point but does it with the 1.15 housing. I think the BP will be much higher on the 1.0 which will make nice warm egts. The hottest I can get the truck with no ic is 1400 or so on wot runs.

TARM

Reaction score
The reason for the surge is for a number of reason.

The ratio of the comp wheels inducer to exducer. The larger the exducer to the inducer the higher the surge threshold line is moved. The more restrictive the inlet to the turbo is (think intake tube flow rate of the filter) the greater the difference between inlet and outlet pressure of the comp wheel the. The larger the dif the greater chance of surge.

Tuning (fueling) can effect the turbo speed thus effect its output for a given rpm. This effects surge. This is why some tuners tunes do not surge or far less than others.

The wicker wheel or OBS wheel has a less efficient inducer and thus increase the ratio of inlet to outlet of the wheel and thus moves the surge threshold. It is NOT an upgrade. Its a poormans mod to reduce the chances of surge. It may or may not make enough difference to stop the surging of a particular setup.

Anti surge comp housing is a true cure to surge. The ports allow air to flow back around the comp inlet prevent the explosive surge from happening.

The aFe torque intake tube also can help reduce it with a proper filter decreasing restriction to help from lowing inlet pressures (increasing vacuum)

SledDogg

Reaction score
I have Full Force Diesel stage 1 SINGLE SHOTS, Gearhead tunes, full 4"exhaust, new 6637, new IPR, new remam HPOP and I get massive surge!!! Installing another new air filter yesterday showed how big the air flow is as it's REALLY surging again. I haul travel trailer for a living. I run Matt's All Out tune most of the time watching EGT's and pedaling at 1200-1250°. I'm looking at a Banks Big Mouth Wastegate and Wheel. I hit 32 psi at times but usually stops(bouncing at times) at 31a psi boost. I'm gettinf 20+ mpg hwy 11-13mpg towing 7-9.5k trailers/5th wheels. Can have the Banks wastegate/wheel bought/installed for $560. Far cheaper than a GT38R.

TARM

Reaction score
31 psi if has not already is taking your turbo to a early grave. Anything over about 25psi is just heat expansion anyways. At 31 drive pressure is likely close to 3x that.

Banks stuff while good quality is usually way over priced and most of the time there is better stuff for less.

In this case if you want to keep the stock turbo I suggest the Turbo Master Manual Wastegate Controller. It allows you to set exactly the boost the stock wastegate will open at and will keep it sealed until then. DieselSite has them. IIRC they run about $150. The compressor wheel is just a new OBS wheel or wicker wheel as its aftermarket name. Nothing special about the Banks wheel. Then pick up a wicker wheel or a OBS wheel from a Salvage yard. They run about $99 new chgck . You are getting the same effect at the $560 cost you from Banks for less than 1/2 the cost. For the total of $500 I would suggest getting the the turbomaster controller and then add to it the ported turbo compressor housing Strictly Diesel sells. That is all but guaranteed to get rid of any and all surge as that is what its specifically designed for unlike the OBS which just happened to reduce the chances.

bad12jr

Reaction score
I have Full Force Diesel stage 1 SINGLE SHOTS, Gearhead tunes, full 4"exhaust, new 6637, new IPR, new remam HPOP and I get massive surge!!! Installing another new air filter yesterday showed how big the air flow is as it's REALLY surging again. I haul travel trailer for a living. I run Matt's All Out tune most of the time watching EGT's and pedaling at 1200-1250°. I'm looking at a Banks Big Mouth Wastegate and Wheel. I hit 32 psi at times but usually stops(bouncing at times) at 31a psi boost. I'm gettinf 20+ mpg hwy 11-13mpg towing 7-9.5k trailers/5th wheels. Can have the Banks wastegate/wheel bought/installed for $560. Far cheaper than a GT38R.

I have the basic same setup on my SD with a non wastegated 1.15 exhaust and the ported housing. It doesn't surge at all. 26 psi is as high as I have gotten it. Pulls hard and very easy to control smoke.

woodduck97

Reaction score
I have ran stage ones with the 1.0 housing and stock wheel and it surged its azz off. Got a rebuilt stock one stopped surging and seemed allot beter then the 1.0 housing. Also the SD wheel with the 1.15 housing does not surge with 300/200 injectors. Been there done that still running a stock turbo. Been running 300/200's with the stock turbos for 2 years now.

Tom S

Reaction score
I did not have surge with my stage one injectors and the stock turbo with the 1.0 housing.

JD3020

Reaction score
I have ran stage ones with the 1.0 housing and stock wheel and it surged its azz off. Got a rebuilt stock one stopped surging and seemed allot beter then the 1.0 housing. Also the SD wheel with the 1.15 housing does not surge with 300/200 injectors. Been there done that still running a stock turbo. Been running 300/200's with the stock turbos for 2 years now.

How'd you like the SD wheel on a stock charger?

Latest posts

Members online