Studs one at a time

Reaction score
personally since all the other bolts are at full torque it makes sense to me that you would take it straight up to full torque. once you have them all in do the standard pattern once for good luck

Cutting-Edge Diesel

Reaction score
I did it on my 06 back in the day. It only had 40k on it and never pucked so I tried it. I also put in 190s and a powermax at the same time. Ran fine 20k and countless passes at the track. If any of you were at world finals 2 years ago I raced it there. I pulled the motor apart in august and the head gaskets were fine. Took the heads to the machine shop and they were not flat. Idk how much he took off tho.

What I did was take them out in the torque secuence and torque them to 175 I think, after I did all them I did 2 more steps to spec.

sprayjock

Reaction score
I did it on my 06 back in the day. It only had 40k on it and never pucked so I tried it. I also put in 190s and a powermax at the same time. Ran fine 20k and countless passes at the track. If any of you were at world finals 2 years ago I raced it there. I pulled the motor apart in august and the head gaskets were fine. Took the heads to the machine shop and they were not flat. Idk how much he took off tho.

What I did was take them out in the torque secuence and torque them to 175 I think, after I did all them I did 2 more steps to spec.

Awesome, thank you!! Thats the kind of info I was looking for. Thats kinda the way I was thinking I should do it but I wanted somebody elses input first, cause I didnt know.

HaysKSFirefighter

Reaction score

Hey Matt how much would you want to do mine in cab? I just don't have the time for it anytime soon and would like to stud it sooner than later.

chappy

Reaction score

Is that with the arp lube? 175 is pretty low. Did you mean 275?

bluedge8

Reaction score
ok, I have no real experience with 6leakers, but imo, if the hg are holding right now, and you realize that you may still have to pull the heads in the future, the only thing your really risking is your time. if the gaskets are sealed up right now and you do one at a time, there is no pressure on them, I'd take each stud to 50-75% percent of final value until they are all in and then follow procedure from there. I'm guessing that the studs use a much higher final torque value than factory bolts- if so it doesn't make sense to take them all they way on the first pass- you would want to only go to factory spec initially . Anyway I'm interested to see how this turns out.

PTSUPERD

Reaction score
Cab is coming off on mine soon. I have a extra set of heads at the machinist right now being checked out. The block will also be checked for flatness when the heads are off also. OEM gaskets and ARPs will go back in. I only want to do this once. lol

bluedge8

Reaction score
Cab is coming off on mine soon. I have a extra set of heads at the machinist right now being checked out. The block will also be checked for flatness when the heads are off also. OEM gaskets and ARPs will go back in. I only want to do this once. lol

while that makes sense, if someone is doing the work themselves and knows what the risk is, why not?

PTSUPERD

Reaction score
I cant fault them I guess. I know many guys who had no issues with this method on 7.3 then again they didnt have the issues with the heads being flat.

sprayjock

Reaction score
Well my thoughts are Im gonna be in there any way for egr delete, so I might as well take a few more things off and spend a few more hrs and do this while Im in there. If it holds up Im money ahead, if I do blow a head gasket down the road somwhere, well I prolly wouldve ended up doing it some time anyways.

OUTLAW_6.4

Reaction score
How much time and money will it cost to do it the right way vs the one at a time way?

Right now i'm at the 6.0 vs 6.4 and trying to price everything out now.

07_powerstroke

Reaction score
Just do it. I did this to my truck and it hasn't puked but I also did mine with around 1000 miles on a ford warranty head gasket job.

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
I would listen to matt. I'll bite my tongue........ But I will say this. I would do exactly what Matt said. Replace and torque it in sequence, and do it in 3 stages. I will lay money down that you won't have any issues.

ksieckmann

Reaction score
Im with you Chris, I'm doing mine monday one at a time , talked to way too many experienced guys I trust that have no issues with it to believe a few guys on a diesel website ;)

Latest posts

Members online