Studs one at a time

HaysKSFirefighter

Reaction score
You guys are all crazy. I read it on the internet that you have to replace the gaskets every time so it must be the only proper way to do it. LOL

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

windrunner408

Reaction score
Again something that is just tribal knowledge without any real proof that it is actually a bad thing to do.

faster6.0

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Here's the issue. As a shop no one will tell you go for it because we have to stand by our word and take into consideration that you may already have coolant psi, or a degenerating gasket that could be provoked further if the torque psi were removed, making it a liability to fix it if it did not workout and you throw 190s at it and it pukes a month later. So no, I will not tell you to do it. Has it been done successfully by myself on personal projects, yes. Would I do it on a customers truck? Absolutely not.
And resurfacing is mandatory.

texaslimeaide

Reaction score
Here's the issue. As a shop no one will tell you go for it because we have to stand by our word and take into consideration that you may already have coolant psi, or a degenerating gasket that could be provoked further if the torque psi were removed, making it a liability to fix it if it did not workout and you throw 190s at it and it pukes a month later. So no, I will not tell you to do it. Has it been done successfully by myself on personal projects, yes. Would I do it on a customers truck? Absolutely not.
And resurfacing is mandatory.

:whs:

Finally a shop that tells the truth for evryone to understand!!!. I wish every shop would be this honest!!!

bustednuckles

Reaction score
I was wondering whether it would be a good idea to simply reverse the install sequence until you have all the bolts at the lowest torque number for stock bolts (back the torque off in the reverse of the recommended install sequence). Take them all down in steps, just like you were installing the stock bolts, only in reverse, but stop at the lowest torque value. Then remove one bolt at a time, replace it with a stud, and torque it to the lowest value in the stock sequence. When you have all the bolts replaced with studs, and torqued to the first value in the stock bolt sequence, follow the stock torque sequence, using the same values that you would with bolts. Then, after completing the stock sequence, finish by bringing them up gradually to the recommended torque for studs.
I know this is a lot of work, and it sounds like over-kill, but it seems like this would reduce the chance of cracking a head as well as breaking a small section of the previous head gasket seal.

Any comments?

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
I personally think that would be the worst thing to do. If you back them off you're decomlressing the gasket allowing it to separate or crack or anything of that sort. Just pull one bolt, replace it with a stud, torque it to bolt tightness, do all the bolts the same way, and then torque them to stud tightness.

windrunner408

Reaction score
Yea probably should but it really is kind of 6:1 to half dozen to another IMO and you are kind of just splitting hairs but whatever.

2wd-fire

Reaction score
the only thing i did after i did them one at a time was be real easy on the truck for a couple heat cycles just to let everything get setlled. did it help idk who knows 10k miles still strong

Latest posts

Members online