Trying decide on an Turbo setup

6.4blackout

Reaction score
Next year i'm thinking about switching up the turbo setup. I can't even lie I miss the sound of my straight piped 6.0, and my 6.4 is just a tad too quiet for me and I want a little more whistle, and or to try a new setup. So I was looking at possibly getting the the Elite Diesel Tow-Power atmosphere turbo

http://www.rivercitydiesel.com/inde...ategory_id=74&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=54

I've been looking at a couple of videos on youtube of 6.4s with the towpowers, and they seem to have a nice whistle to em. Does anybody on here run just the Atmo Turbo, and how does it sound?

Then there is the MPD T-4 Kit for Factory Up-pipes with S366 Turbo

http://marylandperfdiesel.com/i-12589648-complete-t-4-kit-for-factory-up-pipes-with-s366-turbo.html

I've been looking at a couple of videos of the single turbo 6.4s and those sound down right mean, and its something I'd be interested in. So my question is what would be the best setup up to go with? My truck is pretty much stock expect for an 4 inch DP back exhaust, and a CAI and a SCT 9625OR tuner.

jdgleason

Reaction score
The tow power atmosphere whistles a little more, but it's not crazy. High powers, tow x's etc whistle A LOT.

IMO a single turbo smaller than a 70mm or so just doesn't really make sense to me... For the cost you can get a lot out of an atmosphere turbo

Last edited:

6.4blackout

Reaction score
Hmmm, so if I was to change just the Atmo out it wouldnt be a great difference in the whistle? I had noticed with the single setup I hadnt heard too many complain about the performance and what not if anybody can give a little more info on that.

jdgleason

Reaction score
Hmmm, so if I was to change just the Atmo out it wouldnt be a great difference in the whistle? I had noticed with the single setup I hadnt heard too many complain about the performance and what not if anybody can give a little more info on that.

Correct. You will hear more whistle in the cab, but exhaust note doesn't change much.

Singles make good power, no doubt. Obviously you will sacrifice driveability/spool up depending on which turbo you choose.

sootie

Reaction score
Just an atmo charger is a good gain in power but not too too much more sound.

Bigger singles sound most similar to a straight piped 6oh but as JD said, driveability is a bit of a question

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
If you aren't going for 850hp+, there is really no reason to run a single since drop-in replacement turbos handle everything in between. If you want turbo whistle, get a different intake setup, one without a filter box. Then drive with your windows down.

6.4blackout

Reaction score
What driveability would change compared to my twin setup and I had noticed that the S472 single sounds more of like what im looking for.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Turbo response first and foremost. Which translates into drive ability issues. Singles have a very narrow rpm operating range, where as one of any modified drop-in replacement turbos available actually responded better off idle than your stock turbos do now. Do yourself a favor and don't get caught up in the "whistle is cool" factor, and make a purchase decision based off the facts. I promise you will be sooooo so much happier in the end if you do

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
I'm partial to elite turbos since that's what JD and I run on our trucks, and what we sell. They have a variety of options that cover all ranges of needs. It just depends on what your goals are and what your budget is.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Tow-x's are awesome sounding for sure. Takes the atmosphere turbo off the high-power setup and couples it with a tow power modded VGT. Kind of a budget setup. Since those, elite has developed a 76mm drop in atmosphere turbo based somewhat off the high power atmo but it's built in the factory housings. Power numbers are projected to be the same at a price point less than tow-x's. Jdgleason runs one on his truck and so far in testing has seen some very promising results and he's using the factory VGT still. It doesn't have that arousing ball bearing turbo sound so much as the high powers and tow-x's do, but I know it's a bit louder and the power is there. On a tune only truck, I guarantee it cleans everything up, makes good usable power, lowers egt temps and doesn't give up any driveability. If it was me, I'd save myself a few bucks and buy the 76/59 setup, invest in a good aftermarket intake and go to town with my windows down.

buck russell

Reaction score
If you aren't going for 850hp+, there is really no reason to run a single since drop-in replacement turbos handle everything in between. If you want turbo whistle, get a different intake setup, one without a filter box. Then drive with your windows down.

What's the deal with you and trying to shutdown others and show others up with your responses?

Not every 'big single' truck is out to make 850hp. There are some very nice single setups that still work well for towing as well as daily driving.

My truck has a 466 and puts down a little shy of 700whp. It's not some 850hp monster and it doesn't take forever to light. It gets respectable fuel mileage and sounds awesome. So tell me, should I switch back to upgraded stock twins?

01-how-about-no-bear.jpg

jdgleason

Reaction score
What's the deal with you and trying to shutdown others and show others up with your responses?

Not every 'big single' truck is out to make 850hp. There are some very nice single setups that still work well for towing as well as daily driving.

My truck has a 466 and puts down a little shy of 700whp. It's not some 850hp monster and it doesn't take forever to light. It gets respectable fuel mileage and sounds awesome. So tell me, should I switch back to upgraded stock twins?

01-how-about-no-bear.jpg

Depends what your goals are.... Singles aren't for everybody. If you like yours, awesome! I'm not a fan since I live at altitude, but I try to only speak for myself. I too made right around that 700 mark with only an atmosphere drop in turbo.

If you want to get technical, now I'm making north of 700 with an atmosphere turbo and fuel... Not to say you couldn't do the same, just saying.

My truck still drives like a stock truck and atmospheres are a touch cheaper than a full on single kit, and are "plug and play" if you will - no special tuning essentially is what I mean.

Singles definitely have their place depending on their use whether it be class specific sled pulling or racing, just doesn't fit in with how I use my truck and where I live.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score

01-how-about-no-bear.jpg
Lol what the *** are you talking about? The op asked a question about drop-in turbos and mentioned the thought of going to a single for the sound. I gave him the advice I give my customers based off what I've seen JD's truck do, and several others. I've talked at great length with people who have 66 singles, 71/72 singles, 475's and even 80's. There words were that driveability was different. Not all of them said it was worse but not all of them said it was better either. Do I care if you love your setup? Absolutely not! Does it change the fact that drop-in turbos cover everything hp wise under 850hp for less money than a single kit, and do it while maintaining factory form and function? Nope, it sho' don't. Singles have their place, just like I said. Does that mean that's the only place for them? No, no it doesn't. Reality is that with the developments made in drop in turbos over the past few years by RCD, elite, and others, they are a tough sell by comparison to a factory upgrade replacement.

This is a forum built off a vast variety of opinions. Some members here share similar thoughts and opinions on certain things while others don't. That's the nature of the beast. However, expecting somebody to keep their opinion to them-self because it doesn't align with yours is rather stupid. Take that for what it's worth

Last edited:

Coxey Diesel

Reaction score
OP also asked about the MPD single kit and Andrew shared HIS opinion on it. When your opinion is completely wrong people are going to dispute it, that's a given. Saying single trucks have to be 850 horsepower pigs is kind of ridiculous.

bft blue oval boys

Reaction score
While we are on the subject here, what is it that makes some of Elite's setups whistle like they do? Is it mostly the precision HP and what part is mostly responsible for it? Compressor wheel, turbine wheel, ball bearing?

Does the modded, stock housing 62 whistle like the precision 62 in the High Powers?

Sent from a Cummins plant, driving a TDI, wishing it was a Powerstroke

Latest posts

Members online