Tuning 101 - Thread Merged with Injector Posts

ja_cain

Reaction score
wtf is VOP?

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass
Come on man, get with the program. Lol! You don't know these acronyms? Just messin with you, btw.

This thread has been outstanding despite some of the drama. Hopefully we can put all of that bs behind us and keep moving forward.

I want to apologize to all of the veterans for having to re-live all of these mundane statements/questions. Unfortunately, some of us weren't around a million years ago when you went through this the first time. Lol!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

mandkole

Reaction score
I want to apologize to all of the veterans for having to re-live all of these mundane statements/questions. Unfortunately, some of us weren't around a million years ago when you went through this the first time. Lol!

For me seeing the PSN thread link (less the autoguide ad bs now) was kinda cool and good to see the effort made to dig it up. ;)

A lot was tried in the span of a few years, but CR was already killing the hardcore heui and tuning stuff before it could really start. IMO, reman and assy techniques have improved, but most of the inj work today is still done with standard heui service components, larger nozzles, and a few body mods. And, we are at the mercy of the available (and reducing number of) suppliers. If the market stays viable and we take this to a place of commercialized special components (other nozzle springs for different VOPs for example), we may get even further. Who will take heui injectors to the next level? Is there a next level?

N2GN2

Reaction score
I pulled two PCM's today to get the box codes. Unfortunately I just missed the window before Bill closed for the new year. I'll order Minotaur on Monday.

ja_cain

Reaction score
For me seeing the PSN thread link (less the autoguide ad bs now) was kinda cool and good to see the effort made to dig it up. ;)

A lot was tried in the span of a few years, but CR was already killing the hardcore heui and tuning stuff before it could really start. IMO, reman and assy techniques have improved, but most of the inj work today is still done with standard heui service components, larger nozzles, and a few body mods. And, we are at the mercy of the available (and reducing number of) suppliers. If the market stays viable and we take this to a place of commercialized special components (other nozzle springs for different VOPs for example), we may get even further. Who will take heui injectors to the next level? Is there a next level?
That thread was great, btw! Charles has not changed a bit. Lol! He reminds me of my boss.

It would be awesome if someone would open their vaults to some of their secret squirrel chit so we can all take advantage/bennifit from the knowledge.

ja_cain

Reaction score
I pulled two PCM's today to get the box codes. Unfortunately I just missed the window before Bill closed for the new year. I'll order Minotaur on Monday.
Awesome! I love your enthusiasm. Can't wait to here you share your experiences with tuning.

cleatus12r

Reaction score
It would be awesome if someone would open their vaults to some of their secret squirrel chit so we can all take advantage/bennifit from the knowledge

Yeah....and be out all that time, money, and heartbreak for nothing. I don't think so....those are years of my life I'll never get back just so someone doesn't have to work for it. It's the liberal way though, right?

ja_cain

Reaction score
Yeah....and be out all that time, money, and heartbreak for nothing. I don't think so....those are years of my life I'll never get back.
I understand completely if you count on it for extra income, but hording info just because is another thing. The act of giving can be one of the most rewarding things in life.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Yeah....and be out all that time, money, and heartbreak for nothing. I don't think so....those are years of my life I'll never get back just so someone doesn't have to work for it. It's the liberal way though, right?
that is very understandable sir

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

psduser1

Reaction score
That thread was great, btw! Charles has not changed a bit. Lol! He reminds me of my boss.

It would be awesome if someone would open their vaults to some of their secret squirrel chit so we can all take advantage/bennifit from the knowledge.

We are on a forum built by vendors money.
As much as it would help the platform advance, there is still money to be made on this, ja.
Vendors are still happy with the established system, and until they see a better way, this is what the average guy has to work with.

Reaction score
I find it funny how some people here are getting butt hurt over people discussing their software/ hardware, beating their chest like they are #1 and their stuff is better than everyone's and no one else has a clue. Yet the same people getting butt hurt are the ones telling everyone else their hardware/software is inferior.
The fact is, we have barely any proof of what is better than what in any real world situations. We have some word of mouth, couple dyno sheets and some videos. Arguing over an injection system that hasn't been in production for over ten years. It was already stated and let's get serious for a moment. You could make a heui injector as "fast" as you want, it will still be slower than the first common rail injector that came to market. Heck, injectors in a 6.7 can fire up to seven times in a stroke. Bosch pretty much rules the market now, gas and diesel respectively. Are they the best? Maybe not. But obviously they have a lot more "yes we can" people working there, and that's how they progressed and took the lead. That's a company with probably billions of dollars and years of experience behind them.
Point is, the man power and dollar figure being spent on the 7.3 performance world is tiny. Many people have their hands on a slice of the pie, there is no "monoply" to be had here. The whole point of this thread was to get the "yes we can" people together to keep it going. There has been some great info being shared here. I think if everyone can dial back the chest beating a little, it will be a win/ win for the people that still care to improve on these old gems. There is more than one way to skin a cat.

Any injector that uses an intensifier piston and plunger and barrel assembly will always be slow... Doesn't matter if it's heui or eui, the fact that you have a limited ability to fuel at very high rpm is what limits us, you can move 650cc with a p-pump no problem because you can change all the variables in the equation, just like common rail, where with heui or eui you can only change a couple, which makes it extremely difficult. You ever wonder why a Cat 3406E with the biggest baddest injectors made struggles to make say 1500hp with twins but you can slap some 14mm junk from CDS in a 7FB pump, get a custom ground cam for it, change lines, injectors and timing and make 2000+ with a 4x4 charger... I'll be happy when 500/400s finally come out and can fuel 375-400cc at 4500 rpm.. That'll be the best day in 7.3 history.

ja_cain

Reaction score
We are on a forum built by vendors money.
As much as it would help the platform advance, there is still money to be made on this, ja.
Vendors are still happy with the established system, and until they see a better way, this is what the average guy has to work with.
I understand completely. It's up to the true enthusiasts like Charles and others to progress the technology.

Trust me, I have seen first hand the lackadaisical aditude of "if isn't broke don't fix it" in other industries by big companies. It's depressing when you spend a lot of time and energy unearthing ground breaking data/findings to just have the people file it away to never be looked at again. We are experiencing that right now in this thread.

ja_cain

Reaction score
Any injector that uses an intensifier piston and plunger and barrel assembly will always be slow... Doesn't matter if it's heui or eui, the fact that you have a limited ability to fuel at very high rpm is what limits us, you can move 650cc with a p-pump no problem because you can change all the variables in the equation, just like common rail, where with heui or eui you can only change a couple, which makes it extremely difficult. You ever wonder why a Cat 3406E with the biggest baddest injectors made struggles to make say 1500hp with twins but you can slap some 14mm junk from CDS in a 7FB pump, get a custom ground cam for it, change lines, injectors and timing and make 2000+ with a 4x4 charger... I'll be happy when 500/400s finally come out and can fuel 375-400cc at 4500 rpm.. That'll be the best day in 7.3 history.
Me too man. Just look at what GM has been able to do with the (old technology) pushrod ls motors. Those things are just straight bad azz.

Latest posts

Members online