Twins for dumbies

silverpsd_06

Reaction score
Interesting outside the box thinking, im not gonna say it couldn't be done but you'd only be flowing what the secondary can put out. Otherwise hell it might work if i had a few extra turbo's laying around to fiddle with i'd try it but not with anything expensive

It may light the atmoshere a little faster but it wouldn't really be an atmosphere anymore. Hell that big of a charger may just pull whatever it wants through the primary thus creating a vacuum...:blitzed:

juniort444e

Reaction score
So are you thinking it could be possible, and is a vaccum bad.

My thought was that all the driver side piping would be the same, coming out the intercooler would need to be a step up in size but not alot of pipe, then from that big charger to the intake spider would be pretty easy as well.

Im just not sure if there would be a big drop in boost or pressure starting at the secondary and pushing or pulling it through the primary.

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
quick pic i found, of a setup made by Empire.

as you can see, there is no cooling between stages, only between motor and hp.

compressor side. from intake which is now on the left, through the tube to the intake of the hp turbo, through the ic, to the motor. the "plumbing" for that is almost identical to stock, except that the intake is on the left now, as opposed to the right, and another turbo where the air filter was. :D

exhaust side. from "headers", through up pipes, into hp turbo, out the hp turbo, to the atmo turbo, back to the regular down pipe. you can see the various gates there as well.

its unclear in that pic if they retained the A/C or not, though its been said, that if you mount on the ac bracket, and relocate the pass battery, there is enough room to keep the ac for summer use. though i suppose the size of the atmo would also dictate that as well.

it would be a viable option, as well, to relocate both batterys to the pass frame rail, put the atmo turbo up front on the ac bracket, and instead of putting the atmo straight into the hp turbo, putting a air to water ic where the drivers battery would be. using that pic as a general, plumbing that would not be that much of a hassle. as the odds of another air to air is slim to none, on the amount of room we have up front.

it would save come confusion, if you would not call them primary and secondary turbo's. im not convinced you have them right. atmosphere and high pressure turbo are the more common "labels", and a monkey could not confuse which one is which.

just thought i would throw that out there.

discuss away. :popcorn:

Attachments

• turbos by empire.jpg
    turbos by empire.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

silverpsd_06

Reaction score
See im thinking your gonna start pulling air from your secondary to feed the atmo rather than push air to the secondary like before. Pushing is one thing with the primary it will only eat as much air as it wants, pressure makes no difference, now pulling air from a primary to something that flows 2x as much just sounds like bad news to me.. Anything could be done but its not the way i would go about it. I feel no need to reinvent the wheel if i had something to do it on im my boredom i would for sure but thats not an option

cfdeng7

Reaction score
See im thinking your gonna start pulling air from your secondary to feed the atmo rather than push air to the secondary like before. Pushing is one thing with the primary it will only eat as much air as it wants, pressure makes no difference, now pulling air from a primary to something that flows 2x as much just sounds like bad news to me.. Anything could be done but its not the way i would go about it. I feel no need to reinvent the wheel if i had something to do it on im my boredom i would for sure but thats not an option

Not to mention you completely lose the compounding effect of compressing the air twice. I am going to try and find a thread charles explained how all of this worked beautifully.

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score

the part in bold. how is that possible, unless you had the turbo mounted backwards? the air will never go TO that turbo, it will always be FROM it.

the high volume, 2x flow turbo pushes air into the hp turbo. as such, the hp turbo could not run it dry if it tried real hard. it would always be a epic fail on its part.

Last edited:

juniort444e

Reaction score
Ok, here i altered the pic so maybe you could understand a little what i ment if you already havent. And from reading your respones makes me still believe it can be acheive. Do this kind of piping but switch the chargers around so that the atmosphere is sitting in the valley and the smaller secondary sitting out side on top of valve cover or where ever you were planning on putting the atmo.

Attachments

• turbos%20by%20empire.jpg
    turbos%20by%20empire.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 47

juniort444e

Reaction score
Here it is with labels. This is done in paint so dont bust my balls.:pointlaugh:

I dont see why this wont work, the atmosphere will get the exhaust first. Sounds to me that could be beneficial.

Attachments

• turbos%20by%20empire.jpg
    turbos%20by%20empire.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 51

cfdeng7

Reaction score
The problem I see is the small turbo being a bottleneck. The idea is for the small turbo to light quick then let the big turbo take over. When the big turbo lights its going to pull more air than the small turbo can push (atleast that's how I see it and I am not a turbo expert so take it with a grain of salt from another member trying to learn too).

juniort444e

Reaction score
The pic is just air flow, the white part is where the filter would be with the be red f. then just follow the flow, i was aiming at keeping the flow stockish like the truck would sit normally. Then flip the chargers around like i have labeled in the second one.

cfdeng7

Reaction score
Ok so you actually want to mount the big turbo in the valley. I thought you wanted to have the small turbo feeding the big turbo idk why. I'm tired haha

juniort444e

Reaction score
The problem I see is the small turbo being a bottleneck. The idea is for the small turbo to light quick then let the big turbo take over. When the big turbo lights its going to pull more air than the small turbo can push (atleast that's how I see it and I am not a turbo expert so take it with a grain of salt from another member trying to learn too).
Your brain is a grain of sand. LOL jkn...Im seeing where the other way is bad, but the last two posts are aimed at swapping positions of the turbos around to see if that could be better. Still the same flow, just easier to pipe it that way, as im seeing it in my head.

juniort444e

Reaction score
Ok so you actually want to mount the big turbo in the valley. I thought you wanted to have the small turbo feeding the big turbo idk why. I'm tired haha

Well to be honest at first i wasnt thinking of swapping them, just keep them that way.

But it dawned on me that if we did flip them then it could keep the same flow with less piping and much easier to maintain and work on.

cfdeng7

Reaction score
Your brain is a grain of sand. LOL jkn...Im seeing where the other way is bad, but the last two posts are aimed at swapping positions of the turbos around to see if that could be better. Still the same flow, just easier to pipe it that way, as im seeing it in my head.

I follow you now sorry for the retarded post there been working 16 hour days. If you can fit the atmo in the valley I don't see why iit wouldn't work.

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
explain to me how your goin to fit the 55 your thinking of using, back there where the 38r is gonna go? do you understand just how large that turbo is??

post 239 http://powerstrokenation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91269&highlight=55&page=24

post 276 http://powerstrokenation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91269&highlight=55&page=28

hope you have one hell of a body lift. the main reason, imo, that ppl mount the atmo out front is it dont fit in the back.

and the atmo gets full exhaust flow. just through the hp, or through the hp/gate around the hp.

and i dont follow how liting the atmo first is beneficial. nothing happens till the hp comes up anyways. and you would be gating around the atmo into the hp turbo, and then gating the hp anyways. the only thing that changes is the location of the two turbos. plumbing is the same.

Last edited:

juniort444e

Reaction score
Jake Hammer... check
Jaws of life.....check

I can only imagine it being huge. I still have some wiggle room for the 4202, so maybe there is a way.. And i will have to look but could the wiper cowl be massaged a little to make some space. And what about moving it forward some too with different intake plenums.

cfdeng7

Reaction score
Fab a cowl that follows the lines of a cowl induction hood. So the cowl looks like an extension of the hood

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.