Uppipes or Turbo?

strokin6L

Reaction score
if there is no soot around the HD bellows then the pipe is fine...i would worry about that. If you can move the shaft up, down side to side and it rubs the housing...that's not good. There shoud be some up/down and side to side shaft play cause when started the oil takes up the space, but it sounds like it's more excessive than it should be. Definitly not good. There should not be any in and out play what so ever.

MorganY

Reaction score
:whs: I wouldn't drive on that. Sorry to hear that lance. edit: But do inspect up pipes first to eliminate all possibilities. maybe have someone look under the hood while you rev it to check for any exhaust leaks from the bellows.

Last edited:

EnterKO

Reaction score
I had the exact same thing happen to my truck. Exact same thing.

It sounded just like the compressor wheel was contacting the housing, and I could push the compressor wheel up and dowm, which is normal.

It turned out to be the Metal gasket that was broken between the up-pipe and y pipe. It was rattling between the pipes, just like if you held a blade of grass between your fingers, snd blew. This rattle created a high pitched metal to metal sound similar to your video.

strokin6L

Reaction score
You shouldn't have to pull the housing to check the wheel and see if it has come in contact with it....should be obvious just by looking at the edge of the wheel. If you can push the shaft towards any side of the compressor housing and it hits/rubs the housing as you spin it with your finger tips, then something is phuck'd up.

EnterKO

Reaction score
You can actually force a good turbo's compressor wheel into the housing. The turbo is lubricated with hp oil, which makes up the slop thats there.

strokin6L

Reaction score
i already stated that the oil takes up the slack, but even still...it should not rub the housing even when the oil isn't there to take up the slack. I have yet to try and get one to do it. It'll come very close, but i still haven't gotten one to rub when pushing the shaft to the side and spinning it.

97strokn&smokn

Reaction score
I would almost guarantee that it's a up pipe I've seen it to many times. Lol been working on 6.0 for a long time and thats what it sounds like to me

EnterKO

Reaction score
i already stated that the oil takes up the slack, but even still...it should not rub the housing even when the oil isn't there to take up the slack. I have yet to try and get one to do it. It'll come very close, but i still haven't gotten one to rub when pushing the shaft to the side and spinning it.

Not trying to agrue, just sayin it's pretty dang close to touching. It's so close that its hard to tell if it is touching or if thats where the bearings keep it from going any further.

Mainly I was letting the OP know that the movemnet is OK.

strokin6L

Reaction score
If those are HD bellows...then i would put money on that the up-pipe is absolutly fine. I'd bet that the issue is the charger.

windrunner408

Reaction score
I had the exact same thing happen to my truck. Exact same thing.

It sounded just like the compressor wheel was contacting the housing, and I could push the compressor wheel up and dowm, which is normal.

It turned out to be the Metal gasket that was broken between the up-pipe and y pipe. It was rattling between the pipes, just like if you held a blade of grass between your fingers, snd blew. This rattle created a high pitched metal to metal sound similar to your video.

This guy had the SAME problem (according to him anyways) and it wasnt a bellows or flex but gasket between the y-pipe and passenger side up-pipe.

BlueWaffle

Reaction score
This guy had the SAME problem (according to him anyways) and it wasnt a bellows or flex but gasket between the y-pipe and passenger side up-pipe.

this is actually a great idea for me to check. I'll yank the pipes and give em look but there is absolutely no soot anywhere and as much noise as this thing was making, if it was the bellows, my entire firewall should be black. that gasket definitely makes sense....can i just get that piece from the ford house?

as far as the turbo goes...it shouldn't be touching the housing at all. whether it's making that noise or not isn't really an issue at this point.

MorganY

Reaction score
this is actually a great idea for me to check. I'll yank the pipes and give em look but there is absolutely no soot anywhere and as much noise as this thing was making, if it was the bellows, my entire firewall should be black. that gasket definitely makes sense....can i just get that piece from the ford house?

as far as the turbo goes...it shouldn't be touching the housing at all. whether it's making that noise or not isn't really an issue at this point.

you can get the gasket at the ford house.

strokin6L

Reaction score
Who knows...there could end up being a bunch of things that'll make the exact same noise that Lance experienced. But seeing as the wheel can touch the housing....THAT IS NOT SUPPOSE TO HAPPEN! This is why i would be 100% positive that that is what's making the noise.

Craig@MFI

Reaction score
Take the housing off if there's marks its bad if there is no mark than its not the turbo
Most turbos without oil pressure going to them you can push down onto the housing and make it touch the cover and wheel have very tight tolerances

Sent from my BatmoCharged iPhone

Latest posts

Members online