Uppipes or Turbo?

windrunner408

Reaction score
Yea Lance that is NOT right for sure and while it is possible the y-pipe is F'd, I dont think it is plausible that it is and this IS your problem because it looks like it is pretty effortless for you to cause the wheel to touch the housing. That is awesome that RCD wants to go through it. Are they gonna shoot you another one so you dont have to have a huge amount of down time??

EnterKO

Reaction score
Take the housing off if there's marks its bad if there is no mark than its not the turbo
Most turbos without oil pressure going to them you can push down onto the housing and make it touch the cover and wheel have very tight tolerances

Sent from my BatmoCharged iPhone

Thank you.

BlueWaffle

Reaction score
Take the housing off if there's marks its bad if there is no mark than its not the turbo
Most turbos without oil pressure going to them you can push down onto the housing and make it touch the cover and wheel have very tight tolerances

Sent from my BatmoCharged iPhone

i definitely understand the tight tolerance part...i'm just not sure how easily I should be able to touch the sides of the housing. i'm no turbo expert....just reporting what I'm seeing is all...

Nic

Reaction score
if the wheel is touching, at those rpms..shouldnt there be a highly polished spot where that this is screeching at from the wheel? and maybe a little color on the metal from the heat of that happening??

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Ive never seen a turbo touch a housing that was within tolerance even with no oil in the charger. I'd send it back to jared, **** happens bud!

Also take note, y pipes that arent 100% sealed will make a serious whistle like that, and there wont be any soot anywhere. Had it happen a few times LOL

BlueWaffle

Reaction score
I'll be watching for the charger lance. Did you say horse pussy at the end? Me and the misses couldn't figure it out lol

yes...you mean you guys don't bust out with a "awwww horsepussy" sometimes??? anyone? :lookaround:

don't judge me.

that metal gasket between the up and y pipe really has me curious. i guess at this point, i'll send the turbo up to RCD just to be safe but I'm anxious to pull that stupid pipe apart to check that out.

EnterKO

Reaction score
yes...you mean you guys don't bust out with a "awwww horsepussy" sometimes??? anyone? :lookaround:

don't judge me.

that metal gasket between the up and y pipe really has me curious. i guess at this point, i'll send the turbo up to RCD just to be safe but I'm anxious to pull that stupid pipe apart to check that out.

Honestly, thats what I would do. Better to be safe than sorry.

FaSSt9602

Reaction score
I know my brand new S362 and my modded VGT both would contact the housing with no oil pressure when pushing down on the nut hard enough. I did have a turbo go out on me once and it made a sound very similar to that. I was on my way up to Vegas and anytime I went above 2k rpm it would get the whistle. I checked up pipes, drive pressure coil, and finally went out testing out if I was able to get rid of the sound and the turbo just lost all boost. Compressor end looked brand new, but I chewed the **** out of the turbine wheel!

BlueWaffle

Reaction score
OK Turbo is sent off to RCD. I'm pretty confident that it is not the source of the noise but since its off the truck, might as well send it up to get checked out. I'm learning from actual turbo builders that this amount of play is not out if the norm. Thanks to Jared and Josh for giving it a look anyways.

Uppipes will come off this evening so we'll know exactly where that noise is coming from.

Latest posts

Members online