Wastegates

Biggsw784

Reaction score
Can someone explain to me exactly how a wastegate works on our 6.4s?? Whats the difference in a wastegate or a blow off valve?? I have search but there are still some grey areas that I am trying to understand. Thanks

cfdeng7

Reaction score
Wastegates redirect exhaust gases from before the turbo to either the next turbo or to the exhaust/atmosphere. This avoids over driving a turbo and pushing a turbo out of its map. It also relieves high back pressure which can cause other damage like floating valves.

Bov's are on the compressor side of the turbo and work by relieving boost to prevent turbo barking.

Biggsw784

Reaction score
The reason I am asking is that I am putting nitrous on my 6.4 and I was told that i need a wastegate. I have deleted the egr with the cfm elbow. How critical is it that I need to install one??

JDub

Reaction score
The reason I am asking is that I am putting nitrous on my 6.4 and I was told that i need a wastegate. I have deleted the egr with the cfm elbow. How critical is it that I need to install one??

We offer a wastegate system that will install without raising the cab in about an hours time. If you've already got your stock coolers removed, we can sell the kit without the EGR Delete pieces for a little cheaper price as well. Let us know if we can help...

http://wideopenperformance.net/store/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=296_288_287_276&products_id=1191

Biggsw784

Reaction score
lthe only reason I am installing a kit is because Nitrous Express's headquarters is here in Wichita Falls Tx and my buddy is the marketing director for them and this last weekend he was in Cali for the MPMC. While he was there he met one of the editors for "8lug" magazine and he was telling my buddy that he wanted a write up on a nitrous install on a 6.4. He told him that I had a very nice 6.4 truck that we could make arrangments to do a install on. Long story short, he saw the pics of my truck and everything I have done to it and the editor said that he may be interested in a complete writeup about my truck also. Its obviously nothing set in stone but thought it would be cool to have done. We have a dynojet dyno also to get the actual gain in hp to the wheels. This is why I was asking about a wastegate because I want to do this right the first time. Thanks everyone for the input.

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
lthe only reason I am installing a kit is because Nitrous Express's headquarters is here in Wichita Falls Tx and my buddy is the marketing director for them and this last weekend he was in Cali for the MPMC. While he was there he met one of the editors for "8lug" magazine and he was telling my buddy that he wanted a write up on a nitrous install on a 6.4. He told him that I had a very nice 6.4 truck that we could make arrangments to do a install on. Long story short, he saw the pics of my truck and everything I have done to it and the editor said that he may be interested in a complete writeup about my truck also. Its obviously nothing set in stone but thought it would be cool to have done. We have a dynojet dyno also to get the actual gain in hp to the wheels. This is why I was asking about a wastegate because I want to do this right the first time. Thanks everyone for the input.

Very cool man! Hope it all works out for you.

Blowby

Reaction score
Towing is the reason I chose the WOP EGR delete with a WG. I have it now dialed to keep the BP not to exceed 60 psi while at a constant climb while pulling. Seems to stay steady using the HD225 tune when I set it up tonight without the trailer. I'll probably use the HD125 S2M when I tow. Cab on, front wheel and fender well off, install.

2-1-12_027.jpg

2-1-12_036.jpg

2-1-12_029.jpg

PTSUPERD

Reaction score
Towing is the reason I chose the WOP EGR delete with a WG. I have it now dialed to keep the BP not to exceed 60 psi while at a constant climb while pulling. Seems to stay steady using the HD225 tune when I set it up tonight without the trailer. I'll probably use the HD125 S2M when I tow. Cab on, front wheel and fender well off, install.

2-1-12_027.jpg

2-1-12_036.jpg

2-1-12_029.jpg

Umm. What did I miss? When did you get a 6.4 Mike???? LOL

CamTom12

Reaction score

nice truck! I like how easy the WOP setup looks!

What tunes are those?

Blowby

Reaction score
Stepping up Garrett. :naughty:

Running H&S Black Maxx with Hot Damn 300 download. I like the shift on the fly for daily driving and towing.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.