Wastegates

Blowby

Reaction score
Just to comment on WOP's WG to atmosphere EGR delete I had Zane install. I can barley hear it when it opens. I see about 34 psi of boost with the HD225 tune at a safe speed. The cab insulation from the factory is so much quieter than my 00' which might be a factor. The sound outside might be a different story. I did spend time putting additional pressure on the top of the gate with the regulator until it hit 60 psi BP like I stated above. The WG was blowing open plenty of times until that point. I rolled under the truck and saw no sign of soot what so ever.

My thought is that once your boost is at the level to utilize the WG the combustion is being accomplished with a greater amount of air so the exhaust is clean, no smoke out the tail pipe. So when the gate opens you get the same result clean burning exhaust. Sounds logical and the lack of soot around the exhaust tube will be a strong indicator of my reasoning. I'll keep an update after some heavy towing.

Last edited:

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
does it vent straight down? if not, could you rotate it to make it vent straight down?

i ask, cuz the next question is this. allowing a guy is capable, just running a tube from the wastegate, behind the oil pan/under oil pan, somewhere in that vicinity, and just tie it into the exhaust?

its not like it has to be a 4" pipe or anything. it would be a small tube, so i dont think space or routing would be a issue.

knowing what yours looks like, think thats feasible?

White_monster

Reaction score
Yup. Here's how Elite does it on there auxiliary gate kit.

d8f7e4dc.jpg

The pipe that goes down by the oil pan is what your referring too.

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
thats very much what i was thinking. thanks for the pic monster.

so looking at that, makes me ask another question.

why is it only gated on one side? does the passenger side not get high bp as well?

on a mild truck, lets say, elites 71mm atmo, and tuning, or even tow powers and tuning, is it worth gating both sides?

if not, where would you start to recommned gating both sides?

this will never apply to me, as i dont plan on anything extreme or high horse, im just curious.

White_monster

Reaction score
The little branch tune off the passenger side up pipe is gonna have a gate. It's personal preference on how many gates to run and when. But general rule of thumb is additional gates are needed when back pressure continues to rise due to not enough flow. I'm doing a gate off each bank and a gate between stages so 3 in total. A lot of research is needed to get things right.

Last edited:

Blowby

Reaction score
does it vent straight down? if not, could you rotate it to make it vent straight down?

i ask, cuz the next question is this. allowing a guy is capable, just running a tube from the wastegate, behind the oil pan/under oil pan, somewhere in that vicinity, and just tie it into the exhaust?

its not like it has to be a 4" pipe or anything. it would be a small tube, so i dont think space or routing would be a issue.

It vent's straight down and the pipe has a slight bend just past the flange to angle it back about 15 degrees.

Edit: Added pic.
Looking straight up to the exhaust opening of the gate. You can see the pipe angled to the rear.
WG-pipe.jpg

Last edited:

JDub

Reaction score

This would be very feasible to someone with the needed piping and some welding skills. The idea behind our wastegate was to keep it as simple to install as possible for the end user.

And like Mike O mentioned, once it's dialed in and setup correctly, there should be no real issue with smoke or soot coming out of the dump pipe. This gate system was on my personal truck for almost 10,000 miles before I sold the truck, still clean as a whistle underneath the truck.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.