What Do You Tow?

GreenMachine

Reaction score
Just another six oh.

photo2.jpg

photo.jpg

Not an expert by any means just out of curiosity, but shouldn't you strap that over the tires/ and or axles versus tow hooks which compresses the suspension ?

If you grab the tire or axles doesn't it allow the truck to move as if it were on the road? Won't it hop and shift if you suck it down by the tow hooks and hitch?

If I'm completely wrong let me know I'm just interested In knowing since i plan on getting a gooseneck to haul projects around soon.

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
BROKE 6.4 :D

photo-1.jpg

Someone needs to roll those straps up! :poke:

Not an expert by any means just out of curiosity, but shouldn't you strap that over the tires/ and or axles versus tow hooks which compresses the suspension ?

If you grab the tire or axles doesn't it allow the truck to move as if it were on the road? Won't it hop and shift if you suck it down by the tow hooks and hitch?

If I'm completely wrong let me know I'm just interested In knowing since i plan on getting a gooseneck to haul projects around soon.

I've tied down many trucks both ways and with a single truck I can't tell much of a difference. Its more personal preference whether you tie the truck to the trailer (no suspension travel) or the axles to the trailer (suspension can travel). I tied this one down by the frame just because at the time it was easier to hook the chain to the tow hooks rather than climb under the truck. IMO you should have a good chain a binder or strap on each corner of the truck, and as long as you have that figure out which way tieing it down works best for you.

GreenMachine

Reaction score
Someone needs to roll those straps up! :poke:

I've tied down many trucks both ways and with a single truck I can't tell much of a difference. Its more personal preference whether you tie the truck to the trailer (no suspension travel) or the axles to the trailer (suspension can travel). I tied this one down by the frame just because at the time it was easier to hook the chain to the tow hooks rather than climb under the truck. IMO you should have a good chain a binder or strap on each corner of the truck, and as long as you have that figure out which way tieing it down works best for you.

Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification lol.

I don't wanna be THAT guy everyone laughs at lol.

Marty

Reaction score
Rookie, pfft.

I'll loop my straps n take 10 seconds to secure them or remove them. Ill be setting my gps up and on my way while you guys are rolling em up :)

I always go to frame. I like pulling the suspension down so it doesn't allow the suspension to flex on top of the trailer. My preference.

weareweird69

Reaction score
I too roll my straps. Takes very little time and knot them so they are easily removed.

Im a fan of tieing to the axles, or wheels. It lets the truck absorb some of the jolt from hitting bumps on these smooth PA roads.... lol That way the trailer doesnt take ALL the jolt. Never had anything move.

Zaairman

Reaction score
I prefer the wheels and axles... We strapped my brother's Jeep down once by the frame (dad's idea). It walked a little on the trailer. The next time we moved it (DUI, pretty sweet), I strapped it down by the axles. Didn't move an inch.

Dustball8504

Reaction score
Rookie, pfft.

I'll loop my straps n take 10 seconds to secure them or remove them. Ill be setting my gps up and on my way while you guys are rolling em up :)

I always go to frame. I like pulling the suspension down so it doesn't allow the suspension to flex on top of the trailer. My preference.

Ask Kelly about his expert skills of rolling straps on my Mustang one time...

STROKIN N STYLE

Reaction score
Its called analism.... I use zip ties on mine. Keep a pack in the door. There cheap and work great

sent from somewhere in the country

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
I like doing it this way because you don't need to have zip ties handy, or cut them off and throw them away. Same goes for tape, which I've seen some people use instead of zip ties.

I stole these pictures from another forum but this is how I tie all my excess strap ends up.

Roll the strap up and leave a little left between the roll, and the ratchet.
ke9oyb.jpg

Pull the strap through the center of the roll.
2i21svp.jpg

Pull the strap you just pulled through the center of the roll, around the outside of the roll.
2eyx9fn.jpg

3149gsl.jpg

Pull it tight.
2qjzj9f.jpg

2prcp40.jpg

To undo it, do the opposite.
jkjg4n.jpg

5cf1tt.jpg

2llezpk.jpg

26287k8.jpg

9qbn1f.jpg

n62q2b.jpg