03 f350 will not start

mac2720

Reaction score
Alright so I just got the call back from the ford dealership. They have diagnosed that the #3, #5, and #6 injectors need to be replaced. He said #3 is not getting any fire hot or cold but #5 and #6 work once it gets warmed up. And the only code that the truck is showing is for the #3 injector. The thing that gets me though is that he told me all of this and said that he is not going to guarantee that it will fix the problem cuz it could be something different, but those injectors are not doing anything when its cold.

So I asked him about the ICP and whether that was bad or not and he said that he didn't know whether it was bad because the only time he saw them go bad, it would leak oil too and this one was not leaking. Which I thought the scanner would tell us if the ICP was bad? I would much rather spend a couple hundred dollars to replace that, then replace 3 injectors.

He said that he did get the truck to start up after cranking on it for a while. He told me that the ICP pressure was just staying around 490 until he cranked on it quite a few times and then it got up to 500 and fired right up. I'm not sure if this could be caused by the bad #3 injector or the combination of all 3 or whether the ICP could be bad. Please somebody help because I'm not trying to spend $2,000 to put 3 injectors in it and then I still have the problem.

Atsah

Reaction score
Three bad injectors is not good.. They need to be replaced so that's that.. I don't believe your ICP is bad..

Atsah

Reaction score
I think when you heard the guy say he has to spray it to get it running you should have ran..

mac2720

Reaction score
Three bad injectors is not good.. They need to be replaced so that's that.. I don't believe your ICP is bad..

So the three bad injectors could have definitely caused the problems I've been having? And yeah I think spraying ether to get it started was a bad sign to begin with. However, he told me he only had to do it like 4 times in the year that he owned it. But looking back now, I was lied to about a lot of stuff so I'm sure that's one of them too. I guess you live and you learn, I will start having every truck checked before I buy it from now on. Let's just hope fixing these 3 bad injectors will fix the starting problem for good. At least until my warranty and all kicks in.

Atsah

Reaction score
So the three bad injectors could have definitely caused the problems I've been having? And yeah I think spraying ether to get it started was a bad sign to begin with. However, he told me he only had to do it like 4 times in the year that he owned it. But looking back now, I was lied to about a lot of stuff so I'm sure that's one of them too. I guess you live and you learn, I will start having every truck checked before I buy it from now on. Let's just hope fixing these 3 bad injectors will fix the starting problem for good. At least until my warranty and all kicks in.

Warranty? The truck doesn't have stock injectors right?

mac2720

Reaction score
Yeah I set up an aftermarket warranty on the truck which covers everything except basic wear and tear items (tires, brake pads, etc). There is just a 1,000 mile activation until the warranty will actually kick in. And I was told that it has bigger injectors but I was also told that it had a bigger fuel pump and it doesn't, so I am guessing that it does have stock injectors.

Atsah

Reaction score
I hope your aftermarket warranty is legit.. There aren't many that are..

mac2720

Reaction score
Yeah I talked to a guy that lives right by me and has the same warranty and just had is head gasket go out on an 04 6.0. The warrant is going to cover all repairs with a 100 solar deductible and they even said to go ahead and put the egr delete on it while it is in the shop.

mac2720

Reaction score
So the ford dealership ordered injectors #3, 5 and 6 today. They should be in tomorrow and will have the truck done either tomorrow evening or Wednesday. Although the injectors need to be done, I was told that they aren't going to guarantee that it will fix the problem. If it doesn't fix it then they are supposively going to have to put a new FICM on it. I argued with them for a bit to check and make sure the FICM is good before doing the injectors. I was told that the FICM seems to be good but with the 3 bad injectors they aren't positive until they put the injectors in and check it.

It seems kinda stupid to me because I thought they would know for sure the FICM is good through the scan tool (which I argued with them about). Before it went to the shop, I checked the FICM with the key on and cranking because it wouldn't start. Both readings were right around 48.4 volts so im hoping and praying that it is good. I would be really mad if I pay $1800 to put these injectors in and the FICM is bad. Any advice or encouragement would be great! Thanks again everybody! :cursing:

Atsah

Reaction score
I would think the truck would start after they install the injectors.. If the FICM is still a problem, I would bring the truck home and order a new heavy duty 48V or 58V from a vendor here or send yours out to one of the guys here and they will rebuild it.. Either way, it would cost you a fraction than if you had the dealer replace it..

mac2720

Reaction score
I would think the truck would start after they install the injectors.. If the FICM is still a problem, I would bring the truck home and order a new heavy duty 48V or 58V from a vendor here or send yours out to one of the guys here and they will rebuild it.. Either way, it would cost you a fraction than if you had the dealer replace it..
Yeah I hope and pray that the injectors will fix the problem. But yeah I think thats the best idea if I were to put a new FICM on it is to do it myself. I would just have to have them diagnose that the FICM is the problem before I take it out of the shop though. It doesnt seem to hard to take it out and put a new one in it. The dealership estimated it around $1,200 to fix the FICM, on top of the $1700 to fix the injectors :jawdrop:

Atsah

Reaction score
Yeah I hope and pray that the injectors will fix the problem. But yeah I think thats the best idea if I were to put a new FICM on it is to do it myself. I would just have to have them diagnose that the FICM is the problem before I take it out of the shop though. It doesnt seem to hard to take it out and put a new one in it. The dealership estimated it around $1,200 to fix the FICM, on top of the $1700 to fix the injectors :jawdrop:

If you go to Swamps diesel, a vendor here, I think you can buy a heavy duty 48V FICM with your core sent in for like $450 and there FICM is going to be way better than what the dealer is going to replace yours with.. They are not hard to replace. You just have to be careful with connectors and make sure they snap in correctly..

TonyG

Reaction score
and if connectors are broke (alot are) run a big ziptie through the harness and around the FICM, ford dealer will rape you for the ficm and or the harness..... anyone with a little time and simple tools can swap a ficm out in 30mins

Atsah

Reaction score
I was out of state and had a bad injector last year, I would have tried to limp home but I was towing heavy so I had the local Ford garage put a new in and change the oil, it cost me $825.00 for one so $1700 for three of them isn't all that bad IMO..

With 107K on the truck, If the oil and fuel filters were maintained properly and proper fuel pressure is present, you should be able to get 150K out of a injector..
You may want to consider installing Fords updated FPR kit if your truck doesn't allready have one.. By the sounds of the previous owner, I doudt it has one.. There like $72.00.. It will raise your fuel pressure and your injectors will last longer..

mac2720

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the advice guys! Yeah if the FICM is indeed bad after the injectors are replaced, then I will either get a new one or have this one rebuilt and just replace it myself. And TonyG I will keep that in mind about the harnesses if I have to go into that.

Ive never heard of the FPR kit. What exactly is that? Is it hard to put in and where does it go? Thanks again!

hawgdoctor

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the advice guys! Yeah if the FICM is indeed bad after the injectors are replaced, then I will either get a new one or have this one rebuilt and just replace it myself. And TonyG I will keep that in mind about the harnesses if I have to go into that.

Ive never heard of the FPR kit. What exactly is that? Is it hard to put in and where does it go? Thanks again!
Wish I could of caught this thread earlier. We are right in Fredericksburg, and could of saved you a bunch of aggrivation, and money lol(or atleast pointed you in the right direction).

Last edited:

mac2720

Reaction score
Wish I could of caught this thread earlier. We are right in Fredericksburg, and could of saved you a bunch of aggrivation, and money lol(or atleast pointed you in the right direction).
Dang yeah that would have been great, im working in Danville. Heck, I might still need the assistance when I get it out of the shop. Fingers crossed, the injectors fix the problem, but the way things have been going has me quite concerned. The aggrevation I have had with this truck is much worse than the money that I've had to spend on it (even thought that has sucked as well). But i'm ready to have it fixed and actually be able to drive the thing LOL

Atsah

Reaction score

Fuel pressure regulator kit.. Hogdoctor will help you I'm sure.. I didn't know you were close to him.. It would be a good idea to have him check your truck out.. If I was new to 6.0's and close to his location, my truck would have been in his shop the day after I bought it..

mac2720

Reaction score
Fuel pressure regulator kit.. Hogdoctor will help you I'm sure.. I didn't know you were close to him.. It would be a good idea to have him check your truck out.. If I was new to 6.0's and close to his location, my truck would have been in his shop the day after I bought it..
Yeah I'm new to 6.0's but also new to this forum as well. But now that I know I am close to him, then I will definitely have to get him to check it out. And i'll have to check into the FPR kit. Thanks man! Hawgdoctor not sure how far you are from danville, va but I would definitely love for somebody to check the truck out that knows more about them! Should be getting it out of the shop tomorrow.

Latest posts

Members online