13-16 Spartan tuning

SpartanDieselTech

Reaction score
Shifting pattern is just like stock. A little more firm. And the shifts are quick and clean. On the 450 tune at least.

Runs and drives awesome. Two things I don't like so far. Exhaust brake doesn't work. It starts to come on for a second then nothing. Exhaust sounds really good but has this duramax screech to it around 3/4 throttle but I still have the stock exhaust with just a ****** pipe. Hoping a full exhaust will get rid of that.

Working on the exhaust brake now. Had it functioning earlier in testing, but ran into some pretty serious issues with aftereffects with the method I was using.

EB functionality uses the EGR system and EGR throttle plate, in conjunction with shutting the VGT to create pumping losses in the engine for negative torque. The VGT alone just doesn't do the trick, and when expected negative torque ranges don't follow what's expected with the ECM, the EB disengages (hence why you feel it come on for a moment, then fade out).

SpartanDieselTech

Reaction score
Expected trans life on a hard driven 550-600 tune in a 15-16 truck?
Did y'all find some safety in there somewhere or is it still gonna eat the trans no matter what?

The revisions of the 600HP file that went to production should be *relatively* safe. Please note I'm saying relative- if it's abused over a long period of time, it will still fail. The later techniques I used to bring slip times down for the 4-5 shift will buy it some time, compared to the files I destroyed the trans in our test truck with earlier in testing.

Only the 4-5 upshift (namely the C35R clutch) is susceptible to accelerated wear at the 600HP level, and that upshift occurs at around 84mph on a 3.55 gear truck and 265/75/R20 tires. So, unless you are WOT through that shift frequently (1/4 mile or longer) you typically won't see that upshift at WOT anyway.

morepower02

Reaction score
Matt, thanks for the info and effort into the 6.7 it's nice to hear a tuner tell it like it is with no hype.

Notneb

Reaction score
We already have software in BETA internally, waiting on switching hardware and cables to arrive.

Would any of you be interested in seeing a killswitch and/or valet mode (low power) incorporated into the SOTF? I know 7.3 guys are pretty fond if it, looking for input from potential 6.7 customers. It's something that could be incorporated with only moderate additional work on my part.

It would be cool, but not something I would say 100% spend your time on, if you could be working more on something important... like more power... or, more power.

Notneb

Reaction score
The revisions of the 600HP file that went to production should be *relatively* safe. Please note I'm saying relative- if it's abused over a long period of time, it will still fail. The later techniques I used to bring slip times down for the 4-5 shift will buy it some time, compared to the files I destroyed the trans in our test truck with earlier in testing.

Only the 4-5 upshift (namely the C35R clutch) is susceptible to accelerated wear at the 600HP level, and that upshift occurs at around 84mph on a 3.55 gear truck and 265/75/R20 tires. So, unless you are WOT through that shift frequently (1/4 mile or longer) you typically won't see that upshift at WOT anyway.

Screw the trans, what's the lifespan on stock rods on the 600 tune? I need you to say: they'll noodle as soon as you start the truck. See this way, I can convince the accountant that we need rods... and duel fuelers... and head studs... you see where I'm going with this...

SpartanDieselTech

Reaction score
Screw the trans, what's the lifespan on stock rods on the 600 tune? I need you to say: they'll noodle as soon as you start the truck. See this way, I can convince the accountant that we need rods... and duel fuelers... and head studs... you see where I'm going with this...

Well, I can write you with enough timing and boost poured In to make that true if needed :popcorn:

drservo

Reaction score
Matt, do you know if the NDash will read the EGTs without installing a probe?

jbair14

Reaction score
Literally just got done doing an nGauge, 5" Flo Pro, S&B intake and a No Limit EGR ****** kit to a '15 with 600 miles on it. Loaded up the 550 race file. Awesome daily driving characteristics with lots of power on tap when you get in it. File runs very clean. Shifts are perfect.

PS,

Don't forget to plug your ECT2 sensor back in so you wouldn't have to bother your good buddy Jeff at midnight.

This may be a stupid question, but which sensor is the ECT2 sensor. Is this one of the 3 typically unplugged per SCT for the EGR?

uga33

Reaction score
This may be a stupid question, but which sensor is the ECT2 sensor. Is this one of the 3 typically unplugged per SCT for the EGR?

It is the sensor in the coolant line that you remove the grill and passenger headlight to get to access to the clamp.

On the 11-14 trucks, the ECT2 sensor is physically on the cooler.

SpartanDieselTech

Reaction score

uga33 is correct on this. I do want to clarify that it is not necessary to unplug the 3 connectors with the ******* device. You may if you wish, but it won't affect anything negatively either way.

SpartanDieselTech

Reaction score
Matt, do you know if the NDash will read the EGTs without installing a probe?

We are still a few months away on nDash being ready for these devices; however, yes, it will. It will also be added to nGauge in a firmware revision coming this year.

theplumber

Reaction score
Yes gauges flashing, installation and couple of reading like egt , trans temp. If it s possible.

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
Just put the "600" enhanced on a buddies truck, that thing is quick and to all the tuned and dele ed 6.4's out there, IMO a 15 with the "600" will give a 6.4 run for its money.

Good job to the S PARTAN team.

SpartanDieselTech

Reaction score
Just put the "600" enhanced on a buddies truck, that thing is quick and to all the tuned and dele ed 6.4's out there, IMO a 15 with the "600" will give a 6.4 run for its money.

Good job to the S PARTAN team.

A 350 ******* tuned 6.4 and the 600 on a 15/16 will run neck and neck in the quarter. The 6.7 has a tendency to come out on top in the 1/8 mile, the 6.4 edging it out a bit on out past the 1000ft toward the 1/4.

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
A 350 ******* tuned 6.4 and the 600 on a 15/16 will run neck and neck in the quarter. The 6.7 has a tendency to come out on top in the 1/8 mile, the 6.4 edging it out a bit on out past the 1000ft toward the 1/4.

I might have to give this a go Matt, I might have to go load up the 350 on my 6.4 DRW and see what the turn out will be.

310 or 350 for drag racing? I know with the 4.30's on my DRW the 350 bottom end is very strong but but if I remember the 350 tune dies down in the upper RPM range?

Sorry for the derail.

Latest posts

Members online