250/200s sooner than later.....

dietoremain

Reaction score
What valve springs are you running on the truck? and head studs? lol i know bill put 'er together just curious.. thats live tuning for ya.

Power Hungry

Reaction score
Thats frickin awesome. Is this tuned with safety in mind or is.this tuned with performance in mind? What Im really asking is.does the relative closeness in peak hp and peak tq mean that the motor is.taking a beating down low or is that an old assumption that just doesnt apply here? Reason I.ask.is.my truck is.headed this very direction. You will most likely be tuning it too Bill as Im running your tunes now and I.want to learn/start tuning.my own junk after I get to this point.

SOI and ICP curves in the tuning are EXTREMELY conservative in the lower RPM range, which is why the dyno curves aren't jumping up at 1800 RPM like we often see in other tunes. This helps prevent excessive loading at lower RPMs and will help improve the service life of the engine. Also, you'll notice that the engine is pretty "quiet" in comparison to other trucks... including mine. The idea is to just let the larger injectors work without trying to push engine. We could run the ICP up another 200 PSI, but that often doesn't gain us much. We can also raise the SOI in the off-idle area which would also help improve throttle response, but the truck is pretty responsive at the moment and we haven't even touched the turbo yet. Once all the physical mods are done, we'll settle in on the final tuning.

TARM

Reaction score
Would not every head's valves would vary in amount needing to be shimmed by a given spring based on wear, unless its by the hieght the valves were actually set to other than factory spec that is in question?

TyCorr

Reaction score
SOI and ICP curves in the tuning are EXTREMELY conservative in the lower RPM range, which is why the dyno curves aren't jumping up at 1800 RPM like we often see in other tunes. This helps prevent excessive loading at lower RPMs and will help improve the service life of the engine. Also, you'll notice that the engine is pretty "quiet" in comparison to other trucks... including mine. The idea is to just let the larger injectors work without trying to push engine. We could run the ICP up another 200 PSI, but that often doesn't gain us much. We can also raise the SOI in the off-idle area which would also help improve throttle response, but the truck is pretty responsive at the moment and we haven't even touched the turbo yet. Once all the physical mods are done, we'll settle in on the final tuning.

Idle quality is one of the things that I want to learn tuning to address. I hate the clattery runchiness. I want a rolling idle. I might be a little OCD on that issue.

I like the power output you've gotten out of his.setup. Is the 38r holding on for dear life in this setup?

TARM

Reaction score
By rolling idle are you meaning lope or smooth. I can tell you that a idle that varies in anyway in rpms may be cool at first but if its a DD it gets aggravating with time. But I am with you that idle quality and smoke-free power are the things that first got me interested in looking at how tuning works etc..

Lowdown89

Reaction score
By rolling idle are you meaning lope or smooth. I can tell you that a idle that varies in anyway in rpms may be cool at first but if its a DD it gets aggravating with time. But I am with you that idle quality and smoke-free power are the things that first got me interested in looking at how tuning works etc..

I'm pretty sure he means just a smooth even idle, I know i had bill make me a "lope" tune that changed back over to the regular performance tune when j got on the pedal and after the first 2 days of having the truck back i vowed to never switch it to that position again lol

TARM

Reaction score
Yep that is how I felt but it was caused by a ICP issue. About a 500 rpm roll. Drove me crazy. Bill posted once how he does a lope idle and IMO its the best way to do it and also keeps it driving normal.

Power Hungry

Reaction score
Would not every head's valves would vary in amount needing to be shimmed by a given spring based on wear, unless its by the hieght the valves were actually set to other than factory spec that is in question?

Ideally, all springs need to be shimmed individually in some fashion or another to achieve a desired seat pressure, although many machine shops can be pretty sloppy on that point. Also, every spring should be pre-loaded to a full bind before installation. Since Jason's heads were completely redone with new valves and seats, installed height of each valve and spring would have been pretty much identical. I can't remember the specs, but all springs had the same seat pressure.

TyCorr

Reaction score
@tarm-an even idle that keeps going and going, rolling along. Mechanical in quality. I hate the occasional.jitteriness and hiccup. Bills tunes are as near perfect as I could explain it. And I had Bills lope tune. It sounded good but.the novelty wore.off on me. My.truck has 4" straight(4" turbine discharge all the way to the tailpipe) 4" exhaust and setting the 1400rpm high idle is.plenty loud. Im stiiil rockin his tunes and they are pretty good,imo. Id.definitely like him to live tune my pile when I get some better sticks in it.

Last edited:

TARM

Reaction score
Also, every spring should be pre-loaded to a full bind before installation.

I did not know this but it does make sense to get the initial spring set.

@tarm-an even idle that keeps going and going, rolling along. Mechanical in quality. I hate the occasional.jitteriness and hiccup. Bills tunes are as near perfect as I could explain it. And I had Bills lope tune. It sounded good but.the novelty wore.off on me. My.truck has 4" straight(4" turbine discharge all the way to the tailpipe) 4" exhaust and setting the 1400rpm high idle is.plenty loud. Im stiiil rockin his tunes and they are pretty good,imo. Id.definitely like him to live tune my pile when I get some better sticks in it.

Makes sense. I agree

TyCorr

Reaction score
I did not know this but it does make sense to get the initial spring set.

Makes sense. I agree

I also want to be able to do.EVERYTHING I want to do.with a single tune. I also want to tune my own truck so I can adjust my trans shifting, tq conv lock speed, and ,again, idle.quality. Another reason my desire to tune is strong is the fact that I foresee a number of.changes on the horizon both to the.truck, physically, and to its intended usage. Easier to be able to adjust this and change that without having to ship a.chip or.email someone and wait.for.the.files. This is assuming that live tuning doesnt satisfy my wants. Threads like this are what I enjoy about this site!

TARM

Reaction score
I agree. At times it makes me really want to be able and go change something but that is hard as Matt does a REALLY good job of keeping me satisfied.

Lowdown89

Reaction score
I also want to be able to do.EVERYTHING I want to do.with a single tune. I also want to tune my own truck so I can adjust my trans shifting, tq conv lock speed, and ,again, idle.quality. Another reason my desire to tune is strong is the fact that I foresee a number of.changes on the horizon both to the.truck, physically, and to its intended usage. Easier to be able to adjust this and change that without having to ship a.chip or.email someone and wait.for.the.files. This is assuming that live tuning doesnt satisfy my wants. Threads like this are what I enjoy about this site!

I'm glad you and hopefully others are getting some use out if it, like I said Its no crazy build or anyhting (I want TARM's setup) lol but it oughta be fun on the street and hopefully fast enough to take some cash from some unspecting cars on the street, the truck while it is my "daily" I really have no use for pulling heavy loads with it or anything like that just my car trailer so I'm willing to do what I can to make it as fast as possible with what I have got to work with... And I know at this power level it can be iffy on the rods like some have found out lately so if for some reason something happens which I hope it doesn't but I'm by no means easy on the truck I will suck it up and build it better next time... I really do appreciate alll the tuning info and stuff bill has posted in here because when we talk and he tells me this stuff i am still not always exactly sure what he's talking about tuning wise, but it's nice to read back over and grasp it better because while I can say living close enough to bill to always have him tune and wrench on it is great I still like to understand the why and how.....

On a different note I'm stoked because I met up with Corbin last night and he gave me the stock rear bumper of his Harley f450 so it's already black just 1 tiny ding some touch up paint will fix.... He really truly is an amazing guy!

TARM

Reaction score
You have a very nice setup. Of course a gtx would sure fit nice in that setup. ;)

TyCorr

Reaction score
I'm glad you and hopefully others are getting some use out if it, like I said Its no crazy build or anyhting (I want TARM's setup) lol but it oughta be fun on the street and hopefully fast enough to take some cash from some unspecting cars on the street, the truck while it is my "daily" I really have no use for pulling heavy loads with it or anything like that just my car trailer so I'm willing to do what I can to make it as fast as possible with what I have got to work with... And I know at this power level it can be iffy on the rods like some have found out lately so if for some reason something happens which I hope it doesn't but I'm by no means easy on the truck I will suck it up and build it better next time... I really do appreciate alll the tuning info and stuff bill has posted in here because when we talk and he tells me this stuff i am still not always exactly sure what he's talking about tuning wise, but it's nice to read back over and grasp it better because while I can say living close enough to bill to always have him tune and wrench on it is great I still like to understand the why and how.....

On a different note I'm stoked because I met up with Corbin last night and he gave me the stock rear bumper of his Harley f450 so it's already black just 1 tiny ding some touch up paint will fix.... He really truly is an amazing guy!

Thats awesome! I hope I can meet Corb some day.

This thread has probably changed a dozens peoples minds on what injs they want. I dont care, any hybrid would be fine. These 175/80s dont fit.the bill is.all I know. I like your setup so far. Im sure a set of.towing.compounds would be.nice with those injs as well. Which is.what I.want in the end.

Lowdown89

Reaction score
Thats awesome! I hope I can meet Corb some day.

This thread has probably changed a dozens peoples minds on what injs they want. I dont care, any hybrid would be fine. These 175/80s dont fit.the bill is.all I know. I like your setup so far. Im sure a set of.towing.compounds would be.nice with those injs as well. Which is.what I.want in the end.

Yeah I have thought about a comound setup, but more than, likely I will do something like TARM and get a larger single... Bill has a block that I did some trading around with him on and I'm thinking of trying to get that or another block and start building the bottom end, it will be a slow process but I really wanna stick with the dually just to say hey I made a 2wd 7.3 dually somewhat fast and I know that to make that big ol pig fast I gotta throw a lot at it... I was thinking for a while to just buy a std cab truck and throw my engine in it but I wanna do it with the dually

Lowdown89

Reaction score
By the way here is the bumper I got from Corbin

2012-04-20_16-10-54_745.jpg

Latest posts

Members online