6.0.4 revisited

Would you put 6.4 compounds on your truck?

• Hell Yeah!

Votes: 33 30.6%
  • Sleep on it.

Votes: 10 9.3%
  • Not going to waste my brain cells on this one.

Votes: 24 22.2%
  • The juice isn't worth the sqeeze!

Votes: 26 24.1%
  • My truck already has 6.4 compounds!

Votes: 15 13.9%

• Total voters

MorganY

Reaction score
I second the Baby steps Jon, one step at a time. Get each one dialed in, then move forward. Leave the turbos alone, put in bigger injectors, see how it is, and then adjust your air. It's not like the truck is going to clear out intersections from light to light unless you aren't atomizing. In my opinion, a 76 is too large of a step at this moment. It's probably in your best interest too, to see how each progression runs if you're considering producing more of these setups.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Who makes a 76 for these? Does that require a modified compressor housing?

Stock housing. I can get you whatever you need albeit 71,72,76, etc.,

I agree with Magic Morgan though. If you plan to reproduce kits, it would be knowledge well gained to know what each step can offer customers. JMO

01PSD

Reaction score
First I would want to be sure you have a custom tune that delivers all the fuel possible from stock injectors (extreme X or Race from Eric), just to be certain. Also, have you logged boost/back pressure at all? Just curious what it's like

Lubbockguy1979

Reaction score
My .02 get numbers and track times within the limits of the stock fuel system. When looking at adding fuel I would guess you numbers could/ should be in the realm of the 6.4 with enough fuel. so I would look at what they flow stock for your upgraded fuel components. Then go a bit bigger. At one time some company was making hybrid bodies which weren't suppost to have the fuel dilution issues of other hybrids. If I were going to build something larger that 190cc's I'd look into those to help with icp and total fuel delivery.

Last edited:

peixinho

Reaction score
I also agree that I would max out the potential of the stock sticks for sure...

If you are planning on making a kit there might be a lot of people interested in buying the kit but keeping their stock sticks. If you jump straight to bigger sticks and larger wheels on the turbos then you might loose a huge portion of people interested.

IMO I would do the following:

• Max out the most powerful tune and document
  • Upgrade injectors (not too big) and max out completely and document
  • If needed upgrade the turbos and max out completely and document
  • Etc...
  • Etc...

You might attract more of a variety of people that are interested in the turbo... like stock stick guys... maybe 190s guys... then maybe 215s etc... If you jump straight to the end you might miss out on some of the other people interested in the product...

I would imagine that with a really good tune you should be in the 425-475 range. Anything above 500hp would be great, anything below 425 and I would be wondering if something is wrong

just my .02

Mixedbreed

Reaction score
You are walking in fresh untrappled grass right now. Making a path for others. Just remember that Jon!!

I dig this thread and the lean forward mentality you have!!!

Oh and peixinho has a great great point!!

TheReelMuhcoy

Reaction score
You guys all make VERY good points. I was thinking about my current fuel system, and how I could improve it to get more fuel to the stock injectors. My wife and I are planning on taking the truck down the MPD on October 5th and get it on the Dyno with the current tune. With this tune I am running now, my EGT's went up a bit, maybe high 700's at WOT. The tune is definitely pushing more fuel, for the first time my fuel pressure dropped to 59psi. As oppose to the SCT tune that never dropped it below 65psi. I will likely order the 6.4 fuel banjo bolts tomorrow through my buddy while scheduling head studs and gaskets.

For optimizing the fueling, what does everyone suggest. Should I build my own, from heads to tank? Buy a premade one from Elite, Driven, Strickly, etc? Or should I just stick with the blue spring and see what the 6.4 Banjo's do?

I realized when I got back form XDP i never cleaned my intake filter, I doubt it had that much of an impact, but that thing is NASTY! I will probably be junking that K&N POS and replacing.

peixinho

Reaction score
I could be way off base here... because I have never had 6.4 compounds on my 6.4 LOL

but are you saying that at WOT on a long hard run 0-80mph you are only hitting 700egt... that does not seem right to me. Even with all the air in the world. Heck on a stock tune crusing at 75mph running 2-4psi boost i hit 700egts...

Maybe your sensor is not working right
Maybe some is not going right with the fuel
Maybe the tune you r running is super weak
Or maybe I have no idea what I am talking about because I don't run 6.4 compounds and you are in uncharted territory :lookaround:

01PSD

Reaction score
For the regulated return... definitely strictly diesel! Without a doubt the best, most well put together kit on the market.

vcassens

Reaction score
I also be leave Powerstroke Enginuities has a regulated return kit of there own with a lifetime warranty

loboost

Reaction score
I also be leave Powerstroke Enginuities has a regulated return kit of there own with a lifetime warranty

You're right, they do.

Rudys has a PSE kit listed on their website, but the link still has 'dozers diesel reg return' as the name

:confused:

Last edited:

Derkperk

Reaction score
Would a pre made kit even work? My strickly kit was pretty tight getting in. With the new pipes, turbos and intake, make sure an off the shelf kit works. Talk to Dennis at strickly to find out.

loboost

Reaction score
Would a pre made kit even work? My strickly kit was pretty tight getting in. With the new pipes, turbos and intake, make sure an off the shelf kit works. Talk to Dennis at strickly to find out.

I would think Dennis' kit would work. He uses banjos on the back which , I believe allow for more clearance than the 90* fittings

Mdub707

Reaction score
I'd do a Strictly Diesel RR, a sump, whatever filters you want, a fuelab pump, y it off direct to the heads. Simple, very effective.

Congrats on the build coming together man, you've already accomplished a LOT!

Those EGT readings still seem way off to me.

Josh@DirtyDiesels

Reaction score
I'd do a Strictly Diesel RR, a sump, whatever filters you want, a fuelab pump, y it off direct to the heads. Simple, very effective.

Congrats on the build coming together man, you've already accomplished a LOT!

Those EGT readings still seem way off to me.

Agreed. Either a fuel lab or aeromotive pump with whatever filter setup you want and DEFINITELY a Strictly RR. At the MPD dyno day find me again and I'll show you the setup on my truck...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.